Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 10-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
thawk

thawk is on a distinguished road
Default Trophy Taker

I bought a Trophy Taker this Spring. After setting it up on my bow I noticed more noise when I shoot. I tracked it down to the mechanism. There is no bushing or bearing on the pivot. Any one else have this problem? If I tighten the bolt holding it together a little the noise goes away, but then the rest binds a little. For 60+ dollars you would think they could use a bushing instead of just steel bolt on the steel launcher. Other then the noise the rest works great. Any one got a NAP QuickTune Drop-Away rest? If so is there a little better construction?

Last edited by thawk; 10-03-2005 at 07:45 PM.
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Did you buy a trophy ridge or a trophy taker. They are two different rests.
By following your post, it sounds like you have the trophy taker. You need to add felt or something to the shelf where the trophy taker arm comes down. Also put felt or mole skin on the arm itself.

The best way to tighten these is to turn them until the bind, like you have seen then back it off just enough to free it up. Test it thoroughly to make sure it is dropping properly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
thawk

I have the felt on the arm and the shelf. The noise is coming from the actual pivot. The manufacture was to cheap to use a bushing or bearing on the pivot. It is just a steel bolt inserted through the steel arm with no bushing or anything. I palyed with the rest for several hours trying to pinpoint and fix the problem. I took it off and put my shoot through rest on and the noise went away.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I know the noise you are talking about. However, I hunt with this rest as do a 99% of the staff shooters. We all agree the bow shot is making more noise than the trophy taker. Just our opinion. I feel the same way about target releases when guys tell me that they are too loud. I hunt with them because they are the best but they do click.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
thawk

You are correct the click I can't hear it is the vibration type noise that the rest produces. For now I am using my shoot through rest as it does not produce any noise. Thanks for the info.