Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Metal D Loops....Not good!

I have many customers come in to the shop with metal D loops on their bows. I really don't like these things. The two main ones I have seen weigh in at 37grains and 80grains.

I was working on a customers bow yesterday that had a whisker biscuit on it and he mentioned the fletching was tearing up his rest. I looked at it and said it's not the fletching, it's the metal D loop coming all the way in and hitting it. The rest was all dinged up and so was the D loop. This was on a 7" brace height bow!

So I talked him into changing it to a standard Loop and before we started I walked to the Chronograph. We gained 10fps by changing to a rope D loop. This bow is only 60#. I wonder if it would have been more or less on a 70# bow. I wish I would have Chrono'd the bow with the 80gr D loop on it. If 37gr got me 10fps, 80 could have been 25fps or more.

My advice DO NOT USE METAL D LOOPS. They cost you speed and can damage your bow or at least your arrow rest. I took some digital pics and hope to get them posted soon.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

OK, you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but I'm only one guy. Others may benefit from your insight. Looking forward to those pics.

I hate theose things, too. They are for the lazy or uneducated.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
foamhunter

foamhunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to foamhunter Send a message via AIM to foamhunter Send a message via MSN to foamhunter Send a message via Yahoo to foamhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
My advice DO NOT USE METAL D LOOPS. They cost you speed and can damage your bow or at least your arrow rest. I took some digital pics and hope to get them posted soon.
I have exactly the opposite opinion of Chris. Never have had any problem with my metal D loop, and I don't care much for the string loops, though a lot of our local shooters use them. With that being said, our local range/shop has at least two arrows buried in the ceiling insulation from string loops letting go on bows during the draw, flinging the arrow up into the ceiling, and I've seen numerous other string loops come undone at the most inopportune times, leading to sore noses, and fat lips.

I might lose a few feet per second using the metal loop, but I am right on top of the NFAA speed limit now with my rig, and I don't need any more speed.

Best to experiment and see what works best on your individual setup...
foamhunter is offline   Reply With Quote