Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough
Default Bow Kills

I was wondering what type of animals or reptiles has been harvested by an bow an arrow by ya'll. Hey if ya got pics that would be nice. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

This needs to be in the hunting section.
bfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Deer, turkey, squirrells.

I'm going to buy an inexpensive recurve and try my hand at bowfishing this summer on the Rock and Mississippi rivers. I have everything I need except the bow.

I saw that on 'Gettin Close with Lee and Tiffany'... I don't know where they were but the fish were jumping in the air in the boat's wake that they were shooting the things while in the air. It was really funny and I bet it was a real challenge because those things were moving pretty good. They got a few of them but they missed WAY more than they hit.

I think it would be fun to do a more 'exotic' hunt out West or something like that. Work, house, etc... just seem to get in the way.

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 01-17-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
This needs to be in the hunting section.
Opps! Have mercy on me kind sir.My not to bad. Will it end up on this same page? See my inocient> Now that is real bliss. I know you fella's will give the striaght and narrow on it. Then I can be a good boy. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post

I'm going to buy an inexpensive recurve and try my hand at bowfishing this summer on the Rock and Mississippi rivers. I have everything I need except the bow.

I saw that on 'Gettin Close with Lee and Tiffany'... I don't know where they were but the fish were jumping in the air in the boat's wake that they were shooting the things while in the air. It was really funny and I bet it was a real challenge because those things were moving pretty good. They got a few of them but they missed WAY more than they hit.

I think it would be fun to do a more 'exotic' hunt out West or something like that. Work, house, etc... just seem to get in the way.

Ron
I have a old ragged out Pearson Cougar 45 # stick I got a a yard sale for $4that I use to bow fish with and a Bear reel. You have to be really sensitive when one strikes the bait though for that is a pretty thick and not to supptle bow. HS

Last edited by Holy Smokes; 01-17-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Ron

I believe they were on the Illinois River in central or southern Illinois. How could you forget Tiffany in a bikini

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Ronhop
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
I believe they were on the Illinois River in central or southern Illinois. How could you forget Tiffany in a bikini
Actually she had shorts and a bikini top on... I'm observant when it comes to things like that...

I don't think they were on the IL river on the show I watched. I think they were someplace out of the country since the guides looked foreign.

Anyway, that was funny as heck to watch. I was laughing out loud.
Could you imagine a couple of people firing arrows like maniacs out the back of a moving boat ? I would be laughing so hard I would be firing arrows into oblivion...

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 01-17-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Ronhop
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
I have a old ragged out Pearson Cougar 45 # stick I got a a yard sale for $4that I use to bow fish with and a Bear reel. You have to be really sensitive when one strikes the bait though for that is a pretty thick and not to supptle bow. HS
Yeah HS, that's funny. The bowfishing arrow I have is like a long Lincoln-Log... I tried an old recurve a few weeks ago one day when we finished hunting that morning. I don't know what brand it was but my buddy got it from a friend who didn't want it any more. That sucker was really hard to hit anything with, except the side of a barn, literally... He just got it a couple of months ago and he's struggling with it. I think I could really like shooting one of those once I got a clue on not having to rely on a sight... It's a very strange feeling. I didn't lose or break any arrows so I thought the 'experiment' was worth the time... We had fun with it and I imagine we'll continue to fool around with it when we get together for Spring/Summer BBQ's with a couple of beers thrown in for good measure. We have regular 'shooting games' with pop cans in the yard. It's good practice and we laugh a lot, mostly at each other.

On a recurve where do you mount the reel ? This recurve don't have a threaded bushing for a stabilizer or other accessory. Would you have to have somebody drill and epoxy in a bushing ? Just curious since the riser is really short... I need to shop around and see what I can find. I'm looking forward to playing around with something like that, I just don't want to spend a ton of money.

Ron
Old 01-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Yeah HS, that's funny. The bowfishing arrow I have is like a long Lincoln-Log... I tried an old recurve a few weeks ago one day when we finished hunting that morning. I don't know what brand it was but my buddy got it from a friend who didn't want it any more. That sucker was really hard to hit anything with, except the side of a barn, literally... He just got it a couple of months ago and he's struggling with it. I think I could really like shooting one of those once I got a clue on not having to rely on a sight... It's a very strange feeling. I didn't lose or break any arrows so I thought the 'experiment' was worth the time... We had fun with it and I imagine we'll continue to fool around with it when we get together for Spring/Summer BBQ's with a couple of beers thrown in for good measure. We have regular 'shooting games' with pop cans in the yard. It's good practice and we laugh a lot, mostly at each other.

On a recurve where do you mount the reel ? This recurve don't have a threaded bushing for a stabilizer or other accessory. Would you have to have somebody drill and epoxy in a bushing ? Just curious since the riser is really short... I need to shop around and see what I can find. I'm looking forward to playing around with something like that, I just don't want to spend a ton of money.

Ron
I know that Bear had a bushing you could buy you drill and epoxy in several years ago. I guess it would still be a good way today but you will need to tske it up with more instructed minds that mine. You will be pretty close to your query when you bf. only yards. no need for expensive gear. HS

Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

they were up by peroira ( spelled worng) illinois. those dam flyin carp are in the rivers around here so thick thats its gettin to b dangerous. weve almost got the warden talked into lettin us go out there with 12gauges and takn care of em
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Deer, turkeys, tree rats, chipmunks, ferel cats, carp, and blue gills
Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
tek

tek is on a distinguished road

Deer, squirrels, turkeys, black bear, foxes, coyotes.
tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
That's some shootin' there son...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Deer, racoon, rabbit, squirrel, misc fish, turkey, and woodchucks...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
happenend at a outdoor bag target league.....I was almost back to the clubhouse and the little bugger ran right in front of me....15yrds....split him in half......it was hillarios......
Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #16
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

humm, got elk, deer, rabbits, prairy dogs, few tree rats, rattle snakes, few misc small birds, 1 sage grouse. and missed a few yots.... But they really stink so thats ok!!!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #17
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Bowman what in the devil is a feral cat? You did'nt shoot syvester did you? I shot a stray dog once upon a time with a stick. HS

Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Bowman what in the devil is a feral cat? You did'nt shoot syvester did you? I shot a stray dog once upon a time with a stick. HS
its wild house cat........that isall I will say.....

oh and I forgot a woodchuck......
Old 01-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #19
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Deer, Tree-Rats, Chipmunk (was an excellent shot!)
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #20
Holy Smokes

Quote:

Not to cause divisional parts to our counrty or fellowship but here in the South this critter(wood chuck) is called a big ol fat ground hog. Cooked in a pot and then baked with bbq sauce and some carrots, taters, and onions is pretty tasty. I have got a couple of these with my bow, several with a 22 . We ahd a ground hog contest 1 yr at the archery club ,the biggest 1 won. I did not get it but had a big time stalking this exotic critter. HS we sometimes call em Whistle pigs

Old 01-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #21
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
I cast an arrow at 1 of these lil devils 1 time did not hit em.. Man will they ever rat you out when d hunting . I have often pruposed for everybody to take 50 lb of rat feed in the woods at a favorite WMA.
At other times have bout fell out he stand laughing at this rascals as they fight each other and on a slow day they are some company. HS

Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #22
magibson@insightbb.com

magibson@insightbb.com is on a distinguished road

deer , turkey, squerrl, ground hog, carp, boar, and maybe the local cat population if i find them around my birdfeeders!!!!
magibson@insightbb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #23
Holy Smokes

All the cats I know are my neighbors and I just could'nt do to my friends although I am mighty tempeted to ,only I'd use a 22 cause I sure don't want to miss or mess up a shot.HS.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #24
blackice4slaying

blackice4slaying is on a distinguished road

Quote:

All cats are feral in my neighborhood. Right after we kill them and remove their collar and tags they become feral.

WB Rest: Dead Nuts 3 Pin
Sims S-Coil: Soft-Loc 5
Muzzy 100 3 Blade
Easton Obsession

"VEGETARIAN"-An old indian
word meaning, a bad hunter.
blackice4slaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #25
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackice4slaying View Post
All cats are feral in my neighborhood. Right after we kill them and remove their collar and tags they become feral.
Poor kitty's.HS

Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #26
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Not to cause divisional parts to our counrty or fellowship but here in the South this critter(wood chuck) is called a big ol fat ground hog. Cooked in a pot and then baked with bbq sauce and some carrots, taters, and onions is pretty tasty. I have got a couple of these with my bow, several with a 22 . We ahd a ground hog contest 1 yr at the archery club ,the biggest 1 won. I did not get it but had a big time stalking this exotic critter. HS we sometimes call em Whistle pigs
we sometimes call um range maggots.......
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #27
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

five deer and one coyote. the deer weren't any monsters, mostly does and one nine pointer, not a mounter. Missed a really big at only 15 yards, rushed the shot, and a tree branch got in the way on another good sized one. I can smoke a doe at 30 yards with my eyes closed but have a clean miss on a 150 class at 15 yards. He was following a doe and would not come any closer then 30 yards from her. It was getting dark, the doe was ten yards from me and he was 40. After about 5 minutes of this he lets out this loud grunt, almost sounds like the buck growl. He starts bolting towards her and when he is 15 yards from me I grunt with my mouth as loud as I can and he stops facing me. I have the pin buried between his two front quarters but did not take the shot. He then turns broadside and as I move my bow up to shoot I release before the pin is on him. Had to tell the story, it might help with my emotional breakdown and my therapy. Still glad I didn't take the head on shot, although it still crosses my mind, "what if?"

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #28
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
five deer and one coyote. the deer weren't any monsters, mostly does and one nine pointer, not a mounter. Missed a really big at only 15 yards, rushed the shot, and a tree branch got in the way on another good sized one. I can smoke a doe at 30 yards with my eyes closed but have a clean miss on a 150 class at 15 yards. He was following a doe and would not come any closer then 30 yards from her. It was getting dark, the doe was ten yards from me and he was 40. After about 5 minutes of this he lets out this loud grunt, almost sounds like the buck growl. He starts bolting towards her and when he is 15 yards from me I grunt with my mouth as loud as I can and he stops facing me. I have the pin buried between his two front quarters but did not take the shot. He then turns broadside and as I move my bow up to shoot I release before the pin is on him. Had to tell the story, it might help with my emotional breakdown and my therapy. Still glad I didn't take the head on shot, although it still crosses my mind, "what if?"
This really makes a man wanna HS

Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #29
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

opps I need to add to my list, we usto go in the ditches when they shut the water off and shoot the heck out of the trout and takem home, was fun chasin them, water was about 2 feet deep, also nailed a few rock chucks and a porky pine... o and clover&oats, at 15 yards i would take a front on shot any day of the week, I shot a small whity buck at about 29 yards, and my buddy has taken 3 bull elk both dead on facin him, first one was a dandy 6x6 at about 55 yards, went about 60 yards and fell over dead, the second was a rag horn at 25 yards, he went about 25 yards and fell over, and the other was a nice 6x6 at 8 yards, nailed it dead center right in the neck, it droped on the spot. You want to make sure you gettem in the center though, not to far to the left or right.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #30
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
opps I need to add to my list, we usto go in the ditches when they shut the water off and shoot the heck out of the trout and takem home, was fun chasin them, water was about 2 feet deep, also nailed a few rock chucks and a porky pine... o and clover&oats, at 15 yards i would take a front on shot any day of the week, I shot a small whity buck at about 29 yards, and my buddy has taken 3 bull elk both dead on facin him, first one was a dandy 6x6 at about 55 yards, went about 60 yards and fell over dead, the second was a rag horn at 25 yards, he went about 25 yards and fell over, and the other was a nice 6x6 at 8 yards, nailed it dead center right in the neck, it droped on the spot. You want to make sure you gettem in the center though, not to far to the left or right.
You are so right on the dead center shot. It is a very high % shot . It is like hitting the x ring. How many times can the average fella do that standing still under all but perfect conditions. If a fella might wait he could get that right shot which would almost gaurantee him the animal . If not animals are creatures of habit and habitat he will be somewhere close by.

Our world of instant gratification and a competive spirit and pride ( not producing) has spoiled us as humane hunters. I would hate to see one run off with my arrow and never find him and the maggots eat him slowly . HS

Old 01-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #31
Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife is on a distinguished road
Default Jumping Carp

I've got some friends in the Terre Haute area that have been shooting these water rats with shotguns and bows on the Wabash. If you get your motor speed just right, they'll jump pretty close to the boat. They've been using bow fishing rigs and shooting em like they were shooting skeet. They had a ball but made a real mess of the boat. These things are pretty thin skinned and they bleed like a double lunged buck. They had a show on the Outdoor channel and one of the guys on the show dropped his $600 compound in the river. Never did find it, so he started using an old recurve. That might have been a good choice to start out with. Some folks have been severely injured and I;ve heard of a couple fatalities from people getting hit at high speeds and knocked out of the boat. One guy lost an eye. These fish average about 10 lbs around here.
Moneymaker NI
Hkdfrlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #32
diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. is on a distinguished road

literaly, anything and everything in season!!
Copper John Dead Nuts
Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

People Eating Tasty Animals

Remember, a Diamond lasts forever!
diamond-vic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #33
Holy Smokes

Let"s see carp, rabbit ,sparrow, Mnt grouse,fox squrriel, gray squrriel,truck loads of deers,feral dog,black bear,a few trees, coiled copperhead tahts about it. HS

Old 01-21-2007, 02:09 AM   #34
n2t

n2t is on a distinguished road

none harvested I just purchased my first bow. But I currently have seven snakes, two lizards, and an egyptian toad if that helps any?
n2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:06 AM   #35
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2t View Post
none harvested I just purchased my first bow. But I currently have seven snakes, two lizards, and an egyptian toad if that helps any?
only if you plan on shooting them
Old 01-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #36
n2t

actualy I was planning on shooting the bow.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #37
Holy Smokes

Quote:
to the fourmn n2t. You gonna love it. enjoy that new bow and my you harvest many animals. HS

Old 01-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #38
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
how do you get the snakes stiff enough and to hold still long enough to launch them from your bow?????
Old 01-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #39
n2t

Thanks for the welcome. How do I get the snakes to shoot? I point them at PETA members.