Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
arkansasaarow

arkansasaarow is on a distinguished road
Default Hostage aarow rest

Is it just me or does this rest suck.? I have been shooting my new read head bow and have realized this rest is very noisy. But, maybe i am just using it wrong. Should the fletching on my aarows go through the brushes? or miss them completely?
arkansasaarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
ozzy

ozzy is on a distinguished road

I just bought a REDHEAD KRONIK and it came with a octane hostage rest "black brushes". I like the concept but that rest didnt cut it. Brushes arent adjustable and the whole thing is made of plastic and flexes. I bought a NAP 360 CaptureRest, all metal and fully adjustable. You need to put your nock feather up so as not to hit the brushes. Im new but made a few adjustments and was grouping 4 inches at 20 yards, not bad for a newbie. LOL
Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
wyoming4x4

wyoming4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default hostage stuff

Well I've owned both hostage and hostage pro. The brushes tend to wear and you start messing with your bow. You will think their is something wrong with your bow and its just your brushes wearing and you start to adjust your sites. Or think you moved your anchor point and other stuff. After about 4 months of messing with my bow I bought a limbsaver dropaway and now I don't hardly mess with my bow on siting and tuning. I still have form issues I have to fix and will probably be working on them all my life and thats the way it is. I like the idea of what the hostage is trying to do but brushes wear out to quick. I carry them for backup on my hunting bow incase something happens, you never know.
wyoming4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
arkansasaarow

arkansasaarow is on a distinguished road

Ya, I have thought about how quick they might wear. I believe i am going to change over to the prong type rest with the teflon covers. i have always had good luck with those.. Thanks for all the help
arkansasaarow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
downeasthunter

downeasthunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasaarow View Post
Is it just me or does this rest suck.? I have been shooting my new read head bow and have realized this rest is very noisy. But, maybe i am just using it wrong. Should the fletching on my aarows go through the brushes? or miss them completely?
Sounds like you need to align your top vane to be vertial with the bow. This sets up the arrow to pass through the rest appropriately. You do this by turning the nock until the nipple on the nock is pointed 90 degrees from the top vane which is straight up. Usually, this is the odd colored vane on most arrows.
If you still have problems, have a tech install a drop rest and on that one you do not need to be concerned with vane alignment.

Good luck

Last edited by downeasthunter; 12-18-2008 at 03:45 PM.
downeasthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

I'ts quieter than the Wisker Biscut, but still too noisey for me to hunt with. If I can hear it, deer can hear it on a windless day. I went to a Limbdriver with felt added to the arrow support and the rizer shelf. Flawless preformance and deadly silent. Vapor Trail's web sight has a set up video if you'd like to see it work.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
The brushes tend to wear and you start messing with your bow. You will think their is something wrong with your bow and its just your brushes wearing and you start to adjust your sites.
This has been my experince w/ my wifes bow.... Everything was fine for a few weeks then I see she'd adjusting her sight a littl ebit every 100 arrows or so. noticed the brushes are wearing unevenly. She'll be getting a RipCord for her Shadow Cat for Christmas.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote