Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road
Default Finger / Mechanical Release, effect on draw lenght?

After church today my wife wanted to go by B@ssPr*Sh*ps to "look at some stuff"...

She was looking at wrist strap type releases when the sales dude moseyed over and asked her if he could help her (I stayed out of it) She explained that she shoots fingers now but might want to go to a release when she cranks her draw weight up. He agrees on that point, and then say's that her draw length will have to be taken down because she have to pull back as far with a release.

Everybody I've seen has their nock lined pretty much parallel with the back corner of the sighting eye, regardless of using a release or fingers. No?

... But what do I know I shoot traditional long-bow.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

There is no set formula, but most will say the dl is shorter shooting trad equipment, mine is a bit longer. Get a release on her and see where she is comfortable before you crank up the pounds.
With compound/release/D-loop my nose is behind the string, with a recurve/fingers it's beside the string.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Huya

Huya is on a distinguished road

You still should have the string touching the tip of your nose. When you go to mechanical release, you usually shorten the DL because the release is longer than what your fingers would be. secondly you usually want to use a d loop when using a mechanical.
Huya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
ozzy

ozzy is on a distinguished road

This has been a major question for me. I have been working on shortening my release to get to the same length as my fingers. I want to be able to shoot both. Just a new guy, dont laugh.
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
This has been a major question for me. I have been working on shortening my release to get to the same length as my fingers. I want to be able to shoot both. Just a new guy, dont laugh.
While you may be able to shoot it both way, the odds of it impacting the same point are pretty slim at best. I've only seen one person do it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Huya

Huya is on a distinguished road

I can do that with my monster bow Phoenix. But it takes a lot of practice and once you have shot with a release, You probably won't want to go back to fingers. I only shoot fingers when I have to. Forgot release at home or something like that. You get use to a good release and it will become second nature.
Huya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
monkybrainz
Patriot till Death...

monkybrainz is on a distinguished road

will that increase my draw noticably? i posted a q? about releases and would like a bit more of my left arm out, from what i seen it might work and i dont get a chance to get to the big city to checkem out, and dont know any bow shooters around here yet.. feel like a stranger in a strange land. lol
monkybrainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Lefteye

Lefteye is on a distinguished road

I too am curious about the change in draw length.
I went to a reputable shop when I bought my bow (still on my first bow).
The guy set up my draw length with the wrist strap type release on the string.
Since then, over the Internet, I bought a hand held release and went for a "D" loop - two variables.
Where I live there are no pro shops. The bow feels comfy but how do I know if my draw length is correct?
I ask because I have a cam & 1/2 and can adjust the draw length.
I have had to edit this because I realize that my 'reputable shop' never did check for 'dominate eye' and sold me a left hand bow while I have left eye dominance. (the reason my 'handle' is Lefteye)
My question is, is it too late for me to restart? - get a bow that reverses my hands and eye?
It is not a question of ethics, as I am not a hunter.
Would I be that much better a target shooter if I went and spent the bucks all over again? - for a new bow

Last edited by Lefteye; 12-17-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Lefteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefteye View Post
my 'reputable shop' never did check for 'dominate eye' and sold me a left hand bow while I have left eye dominance. (the reason my 'handle' is Lefteye)
My question is, is it too late for me to restart? - get a bow that reverses my hands and eye?
IMO if you are left eye dominant you would want to shoot a left hand bow regardless of what your dominant hand is.

There is a woman who shoots our league that was Right Handed but Left Eye Dominant and she had a devil of a time getting "comfortable" in a Right hand bow. Someone let her use a left handed bow and withing about 30 shots she was in her element shooting 5's or 4's every shot. she now shoots a LH bow and is scoring in the 270-280's.

The muscles of the body can be trained, but the brain is hard-wired.

At least I read it somewhere on teh Internet, so it has to be true!!!???
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Something to keep in mind when comparing fingers to using a release. When you using a release, d-loop or not, the string comes to a tighter "V", maximising available dl. With fingers, there is more of the string taken up with the 3 fingers. Thought not quite quare in shape, it's not as tight a "v".
It also depends on what you call full draw. Do you consider shoulder alignment full draw or just the anchor point?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
Lefteye

Lefteye is on a distinguished road

red44, 'Do you consider shoulder alignment full draw or just the anchor point?'
As a beginner, can I ask what the difference is?
I'm pretty sure I mean anchor point - when everything stops and I can make final bow arm adjustments (put a little more bend in it and position for the shot)
Old 12-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
monkybrainz
Patriot till Death...

monkybrainz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I mean anchor point - when everything stops and I can make final bow arm adjustments (put a little more bend in it and position for the shot)
ok red, so i will get more lenght? due to my fingers taking up more of the string then a d loop? i hope so, i got long arms......
monkybrainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
red44

Quote:
First I'm sorry about the delay in responding.
What I'm getting at is some just use the string touching their nose as the end-all in determining someones DL, without consideration for arm and shoulder alignment. I can shoot a compound thats a couple inches too short and bend the bow arm to get the string on my nose, but that does'nt mean thats the right DL bow for me. Where is full draw? Just when a string hits my nose? Or when arms and shoulders are in the right position to use back muscles and not just arm muscles. You get what I mean?
Using a recurve IMO is more critical of form because you actually holding alot more weight AT full draw. If your not getting your shoulders right, your doing alot of extra pulling with your arms and fingers. If it's a "hunting" weight bow, fatigue is more likely to set in and start screwing things up.

Last edited by red44; 12-25-2008 at 01:06 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote