Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 10-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
biofreeze

biofreeze is on a distinguished road
Default Mathews or Bowtech

I need some input on which brand is better or prefered. I'm wanting a bow that would cross over from target to hunting. Mathews or Bowtech, which is better? What about other brands? Help me out and give me some ideas please. I have a 29" draw and bow poundage is not an issue, but I would like to keep it around 65 lbs. or less if possible.
Thanks,
Joe
biofreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

You've picked two winners there. Tough decision too. Best bet is to shoot them both and go with what feels best.

What models in each line are you looking at?
Do you like a short axle bow or are you looking at longer axle for more forgiveness?

Last edited by Chris; 10-13-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
biofreeze

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I'm new to the area (Belvidere, IL.) and I'm looking for a local archery shop to deal with because I'm getting back into archery. Does anyone have any suggestions. As far as the bows go I'm not fimiliar with the Bowtech line. I have shot Mathews in the past and prefer a 38" axle to axle or close to that and would like a 7" plus brace height. I shoot a release not fingers. After reading the different posts and finding the one on Mathews and how they donot sell what they are advertising ...the one from Glenny.... I'm not sure if I want to buy a Mathews with ALL of the troubles that he had. What about Hoyt and any other bow manufacturers. Thanks for the help.
Joe
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Recommend a local archery shop...you're kidding right..you have the best just a few miles from you.

Here it is
Obsession Archery
8289 Burden Rd.
Machesney Park, IL 61115
815-877-1212

Last edited by Chris; 10-14-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Jefro

Jefro is on a distinguished road
Default Pro Shop

If your looking for a Pro Shop near you, then check out

Sportsman's Choice
11820 Catalpa Lane
Woodstock, IL. 60098

(815) 338-3550 Ask for Craig Bielski

Craig is one the best shop owners I know. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to archery.

Give him a call.
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
Chris
Administrator

Obsession has Hoyt, Bowtech and Mathews. Plus it's a lot closer to you than Sportman's Choice.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
timba1971

timba1971 is on a distinguished road
Default Mathews or Bowtech?

Mathews has done a great job of standing by the products that I have purchased through them... 3 bows in the last 6 years. My fiance' bought a 40lb Mustang with a 24" draw and that little bow punched a carbon arrow through a 6 pointer, breaking ribs and still getting a complete pass-through, then about 20 minutes later punched another arrow through the far shoulder of an adult doe. Pretty impressive for such a small bow.

Two of my hunting buddies both bought Bowtechs, and they scream! One of them bought a patriot and it's zipping arrows at at 290+ fps... The other fell in love with his from his first shot.

My suggestion to you is shoot a bunch of bows and find out what's most comfortable to your personal preferences. I love my Switchback, my friends love their bowtechs, and people love their Hoyts. Your question is a bit like asking whether to buy a Chevy or a Ford... Both have their die-hards.

I do believe Hoyt, Bowtech, and Mathews are the top 3 manufacturers out there right now. I think there was a time that Mathews was ahead of everyone, but I don't think that's the case anymore. Buy what feels comfortable, and good luck.
timba1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba1971
My suggestion to you is shoot a bunch of bows and find out what's most comfortable to your personal preferences. I love my Switchback, my friends love their bowtechs, and people love their Hoyts. Your question is a bit like asking whether to buy a Chevy or a Ford... Both have their die-hards.
I agree with Timba on this one.

I shoot a Bowtech Patriot for hunting, a Mathews Conquest for 3D, and a PSE Coyote takedown recurve for fun, and hunting. All 3 three are great bows, IMO.

But, when I go to buy a new bow, for what ever purpose, the brand name will not carry much weight on the selection. I'll shoot 'em all!

Two of my children shoot the Bear Badge, and one shoots the PSE Spyder. Both are great bows. I let each of them select the one they wanted. It was fun watching them decide.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
biofreeze

Hello to all, hope you all had a good weekend,
Thanks for all of the informative input from all of you so far. Chris, who would I be dealing with at Obsession Archery? There was one post on here from a doublelungthem, that stated the Sportsmans Choice had someone that is on Hoyts National staff that shoots for him and after looking on map quest there is only a couple of miles difference. Oh, by the way, why is Doublelungthem's post not on this thread anymore? Do you have a Pro staff that shoots for you? If so how many people. Is Glenny one of them? I know I'm asking allot of questions but I'm wanting to find someone who is a good coach that is local and also and I'm trying to research all of my options and being new to the area I'm trying to get a feel for whats avaliable to me. I've look into the Hoyt line of bows and I'm also looking at PSE now too. I'm very serious about getting back into archery and I'm sure I'll drop a ton of money into equipement and lessons so I want to make it worth my while to do so.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
Double Lung 'Em
Banned

Double Lung 'Em is on a distinguished road

Biofreeze-

PM me if you want the details, seems there is some censorship going on here.
Double Lung 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #11
Chris
Administrator

Joe, you would be dealing with me directly. No, we do not have anyone on the Hoyt National Staff at this time. We have many staff shooters that shoot the ASA national event and have a wealth of experience.

Tim Zimmerman is on the Hoyt National staff and I understand he helps out at Sportsmans Choice. He is extremely good, no question about it. I have no experience with Craig the owner but hear he is good.

As a far as posts from Double Lung Em, he is NOT welcome to post here. The forum guidlines are documented on this site.

Here is the best thing you can do. Visit both shops and see for yourself. We have customers that drive for over an hour to have us work on there bows. We have customers from as far north as Orfordville, East as far as Chicago, and south from Rochelle

Last edited by Chris; 10-18-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #12
Tim Zimmerman

Tim Zimmerman is on a distinguished road
Default Lessons

If your looking for a archery coach or one on one lessons I do both. I will soon be teaching it in my basement of my new home after Thanksgiving.

Like Chris said, check out both shops and get a feel for both. They both have archery ranges and experienced staff. I spend alot of time at Sportsman's it is less than 2 minutes fom my new house and Craig is a good friend of mine. If you head over to Obession you can look up 2 of Chris's shooters, they both took lessons from me last year.

If your looking to taking lessons you can reach me at 815-530-5835. And I can give you references and a little back ground information.

Tim Zimmerman
Hoyt 3d Pro Staff
Tim Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
3dshooter1

3dshooter1 is on a distinguished road

The matthews switchback and the bowtech alligenace are both grat bows they are similar in many ways but the Matthews is alot smoother and if you are shooting it for terget and 3d it is more froviving. The bowtech has the speed advantage but as far as feel i prefer the matthews. As far as anything bad about matthews their is always somebody out there that will bad mouth any bow. Fact is matthews has a lifetime warrenty and after shooting competatively for a number of years I have owed quite a few Matthews and loved every one and never had a problem with a single one. I recomend you shoot both and that should make the desision for you
3dshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote