Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
pete7c7

pete7c7 is on a distinguished road
Default Trykon XL Cam Swap- HELP

Okay, I need help. I recently bought a Trykon XL online. And I need to switch cams on it. I have the 29inch 60-70# 80% let off model and I gotta go down to 28inch cams. (long story). SO I was wondering if any one has done this? I am getting different stories from all kinds of people about what I have to do to do it right. Hoyt told me that I need get the 28inch cams plus cables and string. A guy who said he did it said that he only needed the cams. The guy at the proshop told me that I might have to change out limbs alond with cams cables and strings! I also hear that it throws off the weight range, makes it like 64-74 (which is fine for me). Anyways, if anyone has any ideas and really truely knows what to do please lend me a hand. Thanks
pete7c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

Hello, Im not real sure about this, I did my trykon, from 28 to 28.5, the 29 inch bows might have diff strings on them, and limbs too, what you need to do is find a 28 inch draw bow, and a 29 inch and see if they have the same limbs and cable and string lengths on them, If they do then you can just do the cams, if they have the same limbs, but diff string and cables, you will need to to cams, string and cables, if the limbs and strings are diff then you will need to do it all. I do have a set of 28 inch cams in the classifieds section on here for cheap, ill call the shop tomorrow and try to find out for sure what you need.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say Welcome...

But I would have to say go with what Hoyt told you...I don't think you would have to swap limbs...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Definately follow the manufacturers advise.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
pete7c7

Thanks guys, bullspotter, I did see your cams on here for sale, but unfortunatley they wont work for me. See I have a trykon XL and yours are for the Trykon, the 28inch cams for the XL are the 3.0s and the ones for the Trykon are 4.0s I believe. But once again thanks for the responses, if any one else has an experience with this Im all eyes. Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
bponb

bponb is on a distinguished road
Default Trykon Xl

I did the exact same thing that you are doing. Just change out the cams and get all new strings and cables per the hoyt chart on there site. No need to change out the limbs unless you want a different poundage. The draw weight will remain the same with the current limbs that you have. Been there, done that. The only way it would change draw weight would be to buy new limbs with a different limb deflection.

New string lengths for 28" trykon xl

String 53.75
Control 41.25
Buss 38.25

Last edited by bponb; 02-03-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added info
bponb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
pete7c7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bponb View Post
I did the exact same thing that you are doing. Just change out the cams and get all new strings and cables per the hoyt chart on there site. No need to change out the limbs unless you want a different poundage. The draw weight will remain the same with the current limbs that you have. Been there, done that. The only way it would change draw weight would be to buy new limbs with a different limb deflection.

New string lengths for 28" trykon xl

String 53.75
Control 41.25
Buss 38.25
Perfect, thats exaclty what I wanted to find. How much did your 29 to 28 swap cost you? Did you use new or used parts? And, most importantly does everything work fine? Im a little worried because, according to the tune chart on Hoyts website, the axle to axle length on the 28inch XL is slightly less than that of the 29inch, not sure if that would effect anything? Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
tek

tek is on a distinguished road

You WILL have to get new strings and cables if you go from a 29" to 28". In doing that swap you MIGHT loose a few pounds so if you can live with a few less pounds the same limbs will work fine.
tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
bponb

bponb is on a distinguished road
Default trykon xl swap

I bought some used cams from an add on archerytalk.com. Place an add in the Want to buy and someone usually has some they would swap or sell. Bought some new strings and cables from H&M bowstrings (also on archerytalk.com) \\

Cams cost $55.00
Strings and cables $45.00

You won't lose any draw weight changing this out. Still will be 60-70 pound. I have checked this on my bow scale. This change worked without any problems. By putting on the new cables and string you should be able to bring the ATA into spec for the 28" draw length. Just be careful when removing the axle in the cams so you don't lose some of the spacers that are between the limb and cam.

I had no problem doing this at all.

Last edited by bponb; 02-03-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added info
bponb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
pete7c7

Hey thanks everyone!