Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
n2t

n2t is on a distinguished road
Default arrow cut to short?

So I was shooting and I noticed my arrows are about 3" over my rest. I asked the pro shop guy to cut them to 1" of the rest. When he checked he used fingers below the rest, I shoot release and D loop. So when I drew back after the cutting my arrows (and I hope I am saying this right) will just hit the rest with the insert tip if I pull just into the vally of the draw. If I pull "hard into the wall" they will ride over and either the very head will sit on the rest or just fall through. Is this as bad as I think? Should I just be carefull and shoot them this way, or should I have him recut them?
n2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2t View Post
So I was shooting and I noticed my arrows are about 3" over my rest. I asked the pro shop guy to cut them to 1" of the rest. When he checked he used fingers below the rest, I shoot release and D loop. So when I drew back after the cutting my arrows (and I hope I am saying this right) will just hit the rest with the insert tip if I pull just into the vally of the draw. If I pull "hard into the wall" they will ride over and either the very head will sit on the rest or just fall through. Is this as bad as I think? Should I just be carefull and shoot them this way, or should I have him recut them?
yeah its worse then you think.

what happens when you shoot broadheads?

btw... how are you pulling past the wall? it should be a solid stop. if you can pull through the wall your doing something wrong
Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

why were you conserned about the arrows being 3 inches over the rest???

my hunting arrows are almost three inches over the rest and fly great.....and the 21 extra grains are nothing
Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
n2t

someone told me the added stiffness would assist accuracy. After the cut I put the first two arrows touching at 20 yards. I was shooting in the low 200, 207 to be exact and figured a bit of speed and stiffness wouldn't hurt any. I don't think I'm pulling to hard or to far, I think the proshop guy is pulling into the wall then letting up a tad. I think I'll get new arrows done an inch over what these are.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
someone told me the added stiffness would assist accuracy. After the cut I put the first two arrows touching at 20 yards. I was shooting in the low 200, 207 to be exact and figured a bit of speed and stiffness wouldn't hurt any. I don't think I'm pulling to hard or to far, I think the proshop guy is pulling into the wall then letting up a tad. I think I'll get new arrows done an inch over what these are.
I'm not sure what he is doing but it doesn't make sense...

if your arrows aren't spined correctly they won't fly right, that is true, however cutting the arrows to short to shoot safely is not a good way to go! On top of that I have no idea how he is pulling through the wall but it sounds to me like this is a bad idea just waiting to turn into an accident. Don't shoot arrows that are to short for you bow. you ALWAYS want something in front of the rest. I would never suggest having your insert come onto your rest or even touch your rest. I normally look to have at least 1/2 an inch between my rest and my insert just for safety reasons.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
I'm not sure what he is doing but it doesn't make sense...

if your arrows aren't spined correctly they won't fly right, that is true, however cutting the arrows to short to shoot safely is not a good way to go! On top of that I have no idea how he is pulling through the wall but it sounds to me like this is a bad idea just waiting to turn into an accident. Don't shoot arrows that are to short for you bow. you ALWAYS want something in front of the rest. I would never suggest having your insert come onto your rest or even touch your rest. I normally look to have at least 1/2 an inch between my rest and my insert just for safety reasons.
he said pulling into the wall and letting up a tad....not thru the wall....thats what koolaid man does.....

we used to shoot overdraws and short arrows (alluminums) to get speed.....you dont need to do this anymore as the arrows are so light anyway....
Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
he said pulling into the wall and letting up a tad....not thru the wall....thats what koolaid man does.....

we used to shoot overdraws and short arrows (alluminums) to get speed.....you dont need to do this anymore as the arrows are so light anyway....
Why would you let up a bit? I'm confused... to me that would mean your drawlength is wrong...
Old 02-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Why would you let up a bit? I'm confused... to me that would mean your drawlength is wrong...
no...not really.....I have found that if I pull hard into the wall of my Switchback, it dont shoot as good as if i creep just to the letoff point...where you really feel the 80%.....
Old 02-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Dredly
Site Guru

how much creep are you talking about?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
how much creep are you talking about?
4-5 inches or so??????is that too much????

just enough to feel the letoff......a centimeter or two......
Old 02-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

Sounds like Bowman needs a creeper peeper, oh wait, they won't work on a mathews, but it will work on my new vectrix xl that came in today. Don't think I need it though.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
4-5 inches or so??????is that too much????

just enough to feel the letoff......a centimeter or two......
So how would 2 centimeters make a difference in arrow length? I still don't understand it... must be a Mathews thing. if I creep up 1/2 an inch on my bowtech its going to want to release
Old 02-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #13
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
Sounds like Bowman needs a creeper peeper, oh wait, they won't work on a mathews, but it will work on my new vectrix xl that came in today. Don't think I need it though.
maybe your miss under standing this guys........

when you draw you bow....you do know how to do that right????

ok so you draw your bow back and anchor....you know on some bows that have almost no valley....if you creep just a tiny bit its ready to take your arm off.....well what would you call that happy space????

I call it the letoff.....and the place that my bow shoots the best from.....whathe was talking about was pulling into the wall.....
Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
So how would 2 centimeters make a difference in arrow length? I still don't understand it... must be a Mathews thing. if I creep up 1/2 an inch on my bowtech its going to want to release
i am going to re-read this as you have me really lost right know.....
Old 02-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #15
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
So basically what he is saying is he pulls to that "happy" spot as you call it then the insert is sitting on the rest and if he pulls to the wall (which SHOULD be where his draw length is set for) the arrow falls off the rest.

I still cannot figure out why you wouldn't want to shoot from the wall. if your more comfortable shooting at 1/4 inch less then twist up the string more and make your drawlength 1'4 inch less!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #16
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

ummmmm a say he should have drawn the bow and found his ancor himself, then had some one else mark the arrow 1 inch from the rest and cut them arrows their!! not let someone else draw it........ wall dont mean much at some poundages, I shot a guys target bow a while back, it was at like 52 lbs, and about 2 inches shorter draw then mine, well i was shooting about 68 on mine, and i grabbed it and pulled like it was mine.... uhhh the arrow came right off the back, lol though i was going to snap that thing in half.... when he draws it, hes got 1/2 of arrow off the front of the rest.... he needs to pull his own back to get the proper mesurment.......
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #17
n2t

I think my orion has what's called a soft wall. I can pull it back then I have just a "touch" of "wiggle room. When I anchor I'm fine but if I draw back and pull just into that wiggle room as in hard into the wall the arrow will go from just sitting on the rest with the insert to going past a bit and the tip dropping off through my pronghorns. The pro shop guy drew it back to have me mark it figuring that noch to rest would be the same for everyone. When he did that I marked the arrow at the rest and had him "add an inch" for safety. However when he pulled back he used a three finger below the loop hold which changed the angle of the string, when I draw back with a release, the angle changed enough to make my one inch safey measure right on the edge of my draw because the two holding methods changed the angle of the string and the nocks distance in relation to the arrow. Better?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #18
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
I think my orion has what's called a soft wall. I can pull it back then I have just a "touch" of "wiggle room. When I anchor I'm fine but if I draw back and pull just into that wiggle room as in hard into the wall the arrow will go from just sitting on the rest with the insert to going past a bit and the tip dropping off through my pronghorns. The pro shop guy drew it back to have me mark it figuring that noch to rest would be the same for everyone. When he did that I marked the arrow at the rest and had him "add an inch" for safety. However when he pulled back he used a three finger below the loop hold which changed the angle of the string, when I draw back with a release, the angle changed enough to make my one inch safey measure right on the edge of my draw because the two holding methods changed the angle of the string and the nocks distance in relation to the arrow. Better?
yup makes perfect sense

I stick by my original assessment of you need new arrows
Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #19
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
yup makes perfect sense

I stick by my original assessment of you need new arrows
I agree you need new arrows.....
Old 02-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #20
n2t

that's what I thought. I'm a little dissappointed, I got a little more speed out of the shorter arrows 3-4" seems to be to much over the rest. Accuracy inproved dramaticly. Idk why but I guess I"ll be looking at new arrows hopefully they won't make me pay for the mistake.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
that's what I thought. I'm a little dissappointed, I got a little more speed out of the shorter arrows 3-4" seems to be to much over the rest. Accuracy inproved dramaticly. Idk why but I guess I"ll be looking at new arrows hopefully they won't make me pay for the mistake.
i definitely wouldn't pay for them. He cut them at his store.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #22
rdnkgrl_robinhood

rdnkgrl_robinhood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rdnkgrl_robinhood

Quote:
OK, wow, I just have to ask, if you had your arrows cut soooo short that they are already falling off the rest, then what else are you going to have them re-cut??? Just currious.. But in my opinion you really need new arrows.. You might be able to salvage whats left of the arrows you were shooting and make a nice stablizer out of them.. Or maybe you could donate your arrows to someone that has a really short draw, like a kid or something.. 4-H is always looking for arrows..

Good luck with that

rdnkgrl_robinhood
rdnkgrl_robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #23
dodgensince74

maybe you can get an arrow stretcher and lengthen them a couple of inches.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #24
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
maybe you can get an arrow stretcher and lengthen them a couple of inches.
I hear they make pills for that now also...
Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #25
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
I hear they make pills for that now also...
yeah they try to sell them on here all the time......is this spam????
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #26
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
yeah they try to sell them on here all the time......is this spam????
If you posted in it I'm sure its spam
Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #27
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
If you posted in it I'm sure its spam
now thats funny......did you shoot that bow yet????
Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #28
n2t

recut new arrows I mean, lol. As far as spam..idk from what I gather you guys'll do anything to hit an x it may be considered a shooting aid??
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #29
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
recut new arrows I mean, lol. As far as spam..idk from what I gather you guys'll do anything to hit an x it may be considered a shooting aid??
spam as a shooting aid.....i never thought of it that way.....
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #30
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spam as a shooting aid.....i never thought of it that way.....
Spam...it's not just for breakfast anymore...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #31
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
Spam...it's not just for breakfast anymore...
who said anything about eating it????
Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #32
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

works good for tree rat bait, set it out they will come up and check it out, when they find out what it is, they take a few seconds and look around trying to find the smart a$$ who put it their, this is a great time to shoot them!!!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #33
dodgensince74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
works good for tree rat bait, set it out they will come up and check it out, when they find out what it is, they take a few seconds and look around trying to find the smart a$$ who put it their, this is a great time to shoot them!!!
If you let them eat it, you have to shoot quick or they will die on their own and you will only get a 1/2 a kill.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #34
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
If you let them eat it, you have to shoot quick or they will die on their own and you will only get a 1/2 a kill.
so thats what happened
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #35
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
so thats what happened
No it died laughing at the Estrogen... don't blame it on the spam
Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #36
BUNNYMAN