Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 06-17-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default The best broadheads for 2005?

I was looking at getting my hunting setup for this fall going and wow,
It's a perty hard decision on one perticular broadhead selection atleast for me.
I tryed out three for last years testing and ended up still in the want for something better,this year maybe I won't have to.
I thought I would say what looks good to me,you people can give me your opinions....and maybe I won't have to fork over a ton of lute just for experimenting purposes.
This is what I am looking at for fixed blades.....
Steelforces Steel Vemoms(2004)
Razorcaps
Tightpoints
Muzzy Phantoms
2XJ enterprises Crimson Crocs
Innerlocks Extreme SS
Sonic Heads

For expandables...
G5's Tekan 2's
Rocky Mountains Snyper XP3's
2XJ enterprises Black Mambas
Aftershock Hypershocks(2004)
Grim Reaper Razortips and Razorcuts
Rocket ReconXP's
Innerlock 2&3blade EXP's

I suppose there might be a few I missed and these are in no perticular order?
I'm focusing on the new ones for this year!
So,as the nuge would say, what does the mystical flight of my arrow get at the end of it???
Anyone see any others?
I am going to pick one from each catagory for the stand and the groundblind.
Any opinions or suggestions?????
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
Hoyt&MuzzyMan

Hoyt&MuzzyMan is on a distinguished road

Me And My Dad Shoot Muzzys.i Shoot The 4-blade 90 Grain And My Dad Shoots The 3-blade 125 Grain.we Both Love These Broadheads They Are The Only Things That Go On Our Arrows.this Is Just My Opinion.good Shooting To You All.
Hoyt&MuzzyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Personally, I am not going to subscribe to new is better for this season. I am gonna stick with my Steel Force Premiums for hunting here in NC. They fly good, and, they kill good. And, I seldom see a shot at over 20 yards.

But, I would like to hear some input on broadheads that would be good for extended ranges, say 40 yards, at whitetails.

On a hunt last fall in MN, I had to let a few deer go. I was not used to shooting that distance. I am geared up, now, to shoot 40 yards with my hunting rig. But, I have yet to test my broadheads at more than 30 yards. Where do you draw the line, on whitetails, as far as distance goes? And, does broadhead selection vary as the distance to the target increases?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
glenny

Default It's all about two things....

First and farmost obviously the most important factor on shooting any animal especially whitetaildeer is body language.
You need to be able to read a deer's body language as a number one priority no matter how far a shot you can or are able to shoot,if possible.
If a the biggest monsterP&Y whitetaildeer you have ever seen is standing at 40 yards in full alert stomping the ground,ya better not take the shot,it's bound to turn the most beautiful trophy right into a bear or coyote gutpile in some swamp you will never ever find,if ya know what I mean.
There is always something you as a hunter can do to either bring him in a little closer by means of scent,calling usually,the biggest deer usually not.But,then there is somecases where ya need to look at tommorrow if there is such a thing, and in some cases next year.
I hunted the same deer for 7 years and never got him due to his nocturnal nature,he only presented himself 2 times in a season,this year I just might shoot his boy,God willing.
Usually,
I shoot comfortably knowing a deer is within 35...
I shot at a 145 class buck in a ground blind that had no clue and was completely relaxed feeding on clover at 40 once,when I let it go,he heard the shot and turned enough to just get only a front shoulder muscle passthough.The deer did survive,but,I learned a very valuable lesson and toned down my comfort zone due to that one deer.
That deer by the way was hit by a car the next year and was a true dandy.
I smoked a real nice deer about 150+ right behind the should last year at 35 yards,must have went between his heart and lungs,but,still,no deer.....hardest circumstances to understand by a hunter....especially when you even make a ethical killing shot,things happen to be the way they are.It is almost a case of insanity if you are into this passion and livelyhood to get a deer of a lifetime to your setup,make a good shot and still end up emptyhanded.But,you know where I will be the first and second week of NOV,don't you?
This is a Rarity,but,my point here is that 99.9% of the time to get that arrow there(behind the shoulder)in the boiler room area you must know how the deer may in fact react or not react to a shot from a bow at that distance.
I like the 15 yard shots, I do happen to get a few even closer on occassion,but don't fool yourself just because your bow is at 300 fps and you have been practicing all year at 3d's and can drill a dime no problem at this range....A live animal such as a whitetail deer while walking can easily duck a arrow enough if he is alert stage,I know this from the hard way once as well.
I am not trying to get anyone scared of taking a shot at a deer at 40,by all means no,in fact,your best trophybuck on your wall may have be shot at 50 yards,I don't really care if it was at 65.
It was hopefully shot at in the right place at the right time because you noticed how he was when he came into your stand location and made a ethical shot that presented itself.
Some of us don't have time to even look at the rack to count the points or see how mature it is,and some of us don't get the time to even draw on a buck all year.
I guess it is a matter of personal preference in how far you shoot a deer,this is a ethical decision based on solely body language.
AS far as the accuracy ???,the Tekan expandables flew as true as far as my feildpoints,best groups ever even at 50.Unfortunately,they were considered illegal in IL,due to be legitametly considered a barbed broadhead or not.They where recently passed by the DNR to be used and are now legal,here.
The Slicktricks(fixed) flew excellent out to 60,but the penatration I found from my aspects of shooting a few deer with them wasn't enough for my expectations due to it's 45 degree angle of the blades,one out of three for passthroughs.
Obviously,this thread is brought up to find the best for 2005....
lets hope we can get alot of information and comments and feedback before we screw them on this fall.I like to have my setup rarin' by the end of august.

Last edited by glenny; 06-20-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
Hoyt&MuzzyMan

Hoyt&MuzzyMan is on a distinguished road

glenny i agree with you on how far to shoot at something.me personaly will only shoot at deer 30 yds. or closer but shoot 50 or beyond when shooting at 3d targets.good shootin' to y'all.
Hoyt&MuzzyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Pinky

Default Thank You Glenny

I appreciate your input Glenny. I hope that people take your comments to heart.

I will get to hunt the same area, in MN, this coming season. I have no regrets on the shots I passed up last season there. I prefer to tell the story of the deer I saw, versus, telling the story of the deer I lost.

I was successful with calling, rattling last year. Let's just hope I can get the deer in a little closer this year. I do plan to use some scent tactics this fall.

Muzzyman, I agree with you. 30 yards has been limit too.

THX
Old 08-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #7
glenny

Default Got the new Tekan 2's

Decided to go with Tekan 2's by G5,watch your fingers.
Still have to get extenders blades for them,I would love to get as much cutting diameter as I can get out of them,but they just look like true bone slicers/crushers to me,They sure are accurate so,walla.
I still need to pick a fixed for the blind.

Last edited by glenny; 08-04-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #8
Pinky

Default Steel Force for me again this season...

I am going with the Steel Force Hell Fire 100's for deer. I have not shot a deer with these.....yet. But, the Steel Force Premiums worked well for me last year. The Hellfire's have a longer bleeder blade.

I really like Steel Force's locking system. The broadhead is a unit of it's own. No need for an "O ring" compression deal to lock the blades in place.

I think I am gonna test some of those Tekan II's, Glenny. Those look like they will get it done.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
Secretspot

Secretspot is on a distinguished road

I am shooting a Slicktrick broadhead 100g 1 1/8 cut, they fly the same as my field tips. A friend of mine has been shooting them for a couple of years and has had great results.
Secretspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #10
glenny

Default Had some planing issues.

I was using the 2.3 quickspins and they didn't seem to initially fly as the feildpoints,they were going left,so I stripped em and put on just regular vanes.
Wish I would have put some more helical on them,but can't complain now.good to about fifty,at sixty about a inch left still.
I can't wait to get these blades that make them 1 1/2 cutting diameter,yea they should do it alright.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #11
Hoytshooter9

Hoytshooter9 is on a distinguished road

I shoot a wac'em fixed 100 grain broadhead. There the sharpest broadhead i have ever seen and they are extremly durriable.
Hoytshooter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
aprovenz1

aprovenz1 is on a distinguished road

Rocky Mountain Titanium fixed are the real deal. Entry and exit wounds are tremendous. Blood trail shot out like a geyser. 20 yard shot - 30 yard track.
aprovenz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #13
Decautr Archery Club

Decautr Archery Club is on a distinguished road

Sonic Heads And You Can Not Beat There Customers Service For Anything

These Things Are Like Shooting Slugs When They Hit The Target Man

They Are Not A Joke And Should Not Be Takin As One

These Are The Real Deal Holyfield!!!!!
Decautr Archery Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Glenny

"I smoked a real nice deer about 150+ right behind the should last year at 35 yards,must have went between his heart and lungs,but,still,no deer.....hardest circumstances to understand by a hunter....especially when you even make a ethical killing shot"

Sorry Glenny but a correctly place arrow does the trick EVERY time, I have heard about these perfect shots over and over again and the truth is....I wish everyone had the shot on video because it didn't hit where you thought you saw it hit.

Don't want to get in a pissing match but when that happens you just have to tell yourself that you shouldn't have taken the shot, for one reason or another it just wasn't right. Sounds like you did that though so better luck next time.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Oh yeah the best broadheads????

Are the ones that are stuck in the dirt after a perfect pass thru, and you can see or hear the deer crashing or doing flips. Depends on what works with your set-up. The ones I use have never let me down so I don't change them..until I change my setup and have a need to. I'm not one for trying something just because it is new. If you do, then do yourself a favor and get a broad head target and shoot them at your OWN max distance. It's not about the money when you can't find a deer. I'm sure everyone can relate to that.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #16
glenny

Default The pro series SpitfireXP's

Enough said.