Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
n2t

n2t is on a distinguished road
Default GF wants new bow..now what?

My gf picked up a 189dollar browning micro adrenaline. OK bow, slow, she's already pulling within 2# of it's max weight and would like the option to go higher (she's pulling 48lbs it goes up to 50 maybe 55 with work). She knows this is a kids bow, wants something more high end, tired of the hand shock and low efficiancy. she's shooting 185fps, the kid pulling 40lbs is shooting the same speed..slow bow. I was seriously thinking about the pink Marin tigress. Few questions.. 1) is this bow still readily available? 2)Can I get 55 or 60lbs limbs? 3) is this a segnificant step up in class. I'm shooting my used orion, my first bow and liking it. but I don't feel upgrading is a bad idea since she payed less than 200 for a bow. She loves it and shoots every day she really has just outgrown this equipment at this point. Opinions on this idea or other options?
n2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Bowtech Equalizer or Mathews Prestige. Great for short draw, women or youth shooters. Both fast bows and great shooters.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
UPSTATE

UPSTATE is on a distinguished road

Why not just go with an adult bow ,like a switchback with 50-60 lb limbs ( or 40-50)
UPSTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 AM   #4
n2t

because she has a 24" draw length.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Bowtech Equalizer or Mathews Prestige. Great for short draw, women or youth shooters. Both fast bows and great shooters.
yeah what he said
Old 02-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Both are very nice bows but also may want to check out the Mathews Ignition or Mustang. Or a Hoyt Selena, RdnkgrlRobinhood has one and seems to like it very much. Though these bows may not be as fast as the Equalizer or Prestige they are a little more affordable. Shoot them all and then let her decide. Take her everywhere possible to shoot as many bows as possible. Good luck and have fun.

Also I would have suggested the new Mission Line X3,X4,X5 except they are only offered in 25-30 DL. But are a fabulous bow I hear at a great price.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

I was playing around with a Mathews Ignition on Thursday (this part is going to hurt )

The draw was very very smooth, nice back wall, I didn't shoot it but drew it a few times.

The shop owner has 2 that he uses as "loaner" bows. Basically does lessons with them and he is currently working with 2 10 year olds or so... and they shoot the bow fine.

it has LOTS of adjust ability and I think it goes up to 40 pounds or so.

http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-I...oduct-1385.asp

speeds of 280 at 26" draw and 50 pounds... so I would expect her to hit 250 or so at 24".

Definitely worth a look! and the price tag is very reasonable at around 315.00
Old 02-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
n2t

she's already pulling 48lbs and wants a bow that will peak out at about 60lbs. Yes that's heavy but she's been shooting for a month or so and already shoots 48lbs. Perfect setup woult be something that goes from 45-60lbs with a 24+ draw length shooting in the mid 250fps range. Not sure what fits this criteria and is light however, weight is a factor.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2t View Post
she's already pulling 48lbs and wants a bow that will peak out at about 60lbs. Yes that's heavy but she's been shooting for a month or so and already shoots 48lbs. Perfect setup woult be something that goes from 45-60lbs with a 24+ draw length shooting in the mid 250fps range. Not sure what fits this criteria and is light however, weight is a factor.
why does she want to draw more weight? That makes no sense!?!? The idea is to be able to shoot long periods without muscle fatigue. There is no reason to go higher.

I can shoot 75+ but my target bow will be set at around 45 because there is no reason for more then that for target shooting.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know what to recomend for a bow. If my wife wanted a bow at all I know I would'nt mind shopping for a Valentines Day present.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
why does she want to draw more weight? That makes no sense!?!? The idea is to be able to shoot long periods without muscle fatigue. There is no reason to go higher.

I can shoot 75+ but my target bow will be set at around 45 because there is no reason for more then that for target shooting.
I totally agree

If she wants to shoot faster then go with a lighter arrow just be sure to stay above the 5gpp minimum. My hunting bow is set up at around 72# but I am in the process of finding a target bow that maxes out at 60# then I will probably shoot it at about 55#. I realize she wants it and all but she should definately think it over and you should try to explain it to her. I know plenty of guys who have blown out their shoulders shooting too much weight. I have shot 90# bows but would never and I repeat NEVER shoot one for targets.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
n2t

She's shooting for about 2-3 hours a day at 48lbs. She doesn't care about targets she wants to hunt. Elk, bear, turkeys, mulies and white tail, antelope, and even bow fish and small game. She want's the weight to be able to use the same bow for either elk/bear or for target shooting. With the ability to go from 45-60 or so, she can shoot at 48-50 all day and when/if it's comfortable for her get 5-10 more lbs out of it if able. With the adrenaline she's currently shooting it'll max out around 52lbs 4lbs over what she currently pulls daily. She knows she can pull more than that if she shoots all year and would like to at least be able to hit 55-60 at some point. She's pulling a winn release which really seems to be helping her pull higher weight. I know her feelings, I started out a couple weeks ago shooting at 45lbs and am already up to 60lbs so 65 or so won't be "hard" by the end of the year.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
Dredly
Site Guru

I think your missing the point... if you work at it you can be pulling 100 at the end of a year but WHY?!?!?!?!

If she really wants speed look at the Bowtech Equilizer, at 50 pounds it is shooting a 250 grain arrow at something like 270 FPS. But make sure the bank account is well stocked.

There is no reason to shoot more then that. 50 pounds will pass through a bear!

Hell if all she wants is speed then get her something in a 28inch DL and shoot a 6 inch overdraw. It won't be comfortable or correct but you can do it and it'll be a helluval lot faster
Old 02-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
n2t

you make good points. I will try to talk her down. She simply feels that if she's pulling 48-50 easily that getting up to the 55-60 pound range can't hurt. She was looking at the hoyte selena. I think she's mostly frustrated at shooting a 189 dollar "kids bow". It's slow, vibrates alot and she wants to know her equipment is up to par with everyone elses. Right now she shoots a browning micro adrenaline.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
rdnkgrl_robinhood

rdnkgrl_robinhood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rdnkgrl_robinhood

Quote:
you make good points. I will try to talk her down. She simply feels that if she's pulling 48-50 easily that getting up to the 55-60 pound range can't hurt. She was looking at the hoyte selena. I think she's mostly frustrated at shooting a 189 dollar "kids bow". It's slow, vibrates alot and she wants to know her equipment is up to par with everyone elses. Right now she shoots a browning micro adrenaline.
I sent you a PM, I am selling my Martin Jaguar and could make you a sweet deal on should you be interested.

Rdnkgrl_robinhood
rdnkgrl_robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
I sent you a PM, I am selling my Martin Jaguar and could make you a sweet deal on should you be interested.

Rdnkgrl_robinhood
There ya go! Its practically a brand new bow!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
rdnkgrl_robinhood

rdnkgrl_robinhood is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rdnkgrl_robinhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
There ya go! Its practically a brand new bow!
Yip perdy nice now new strings, new cables, new riser, new everything, (except for the Michael Waddell autographed limbs) very nice
Thought about posting pics of it and putting it up on the for sale board but I just havent got around to it yet.

rdnkgrl_robinhood
rdnkgrl_robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #18
tek

tek is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Have her check out the Hoyt Vulcan. It goes down to a 24" draw length and has amazing speed, its quiet and draws very easy and smooth for a fast bow. I bet she will like it.
tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #19
dzingale

dzingale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think that these are your best choices too.
http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=478
FBSA Member
dzingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #20
n2t

I'm in a bit of a bind now. I wasn't planning on buying right now. But now a good deal is being dropped in my lap. It's a hard choice, more research or snap up the bargain.....I'm not good with choices. I've talked to the GF she's mulling it over as well. Fortunately we both have bows so it's not a do or die situation like the selena owner was in.