Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
aljo

aljo is on a distinguished road
Default arrow length

i just shortened my dl drom 29" to 28". best move i ever made. i'm ripping the vanes off my arrows. my best groups ever. here's my question. i noticed my arrow is extending a good 3" past my qad dropaway rest. i'm going to cut them down, but how much? is there a rule of thumb on how far it should extend past the rest? right now the total length is 28 7/16" from end of nock to end of insert.
aljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
sgmathews92

sgmathews92 is on a distinguished road

well 3 inches will lighten the arrow by however the gpi x 3 is. It will make the shaft slightly stiffer. What type of arrows and what are you pulling?

SG
sgmathews92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
skycomag

skycomag is on a distinguished road

if you are going to shot a broad head the arrow should stick out place the riser about 1" or so. any closer the broad head is close to you bow hand.
my arrows are 1/2" longer than my draw length but i shot target pts.
so my draw length is 27 my arrows are 27 1/2".
skycomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
aljo

right now i'm using beman ics bow hunters. spine is 340 with a weight of 9.3 gpi. total weight w/100 gr tips is 422gr. i'm not really worried about weight as much as i am the 3" sticking out past my rest. just wondering if there is a min. needed beyond the rest.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Bob4

Bob4 is on a distinguished road

I think it's mostly a personal safety issue. 1.5 to 2 inches should be safe. You shortened your DL by an inch.. If everything was working OK at the time I would just shorten my arrows by the same 1 inch.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

While you may want to shorten your arrows a bit, it isn't always the best course of action. You must take the spine of the arrow into consideration, since you have already shortened your draw length the effective spine is now stiffer and to shorten the shaft further stiffens the reaction..

You may need to increase point weight or even buy new arrows to establish proper spine.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

If you are shooting good, why mess with it?

Javi is right about the effect on spine. Small length changes can have a big effect on "dynamic" spine, even more than point weight.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

I'm a hunter that also shoots a little 3D. I practice year round in my back yard. My standards may be different than yours but here's my experience. I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix with a Copper John 5 pin hunting sight, a 29 1/2" draw at #63, and a kisser button but no peep. I use the same set up and arrows for 3D and hunting; no fancy accessories. I make my arrows an inch long on purpose. When I crack the nock end I usually can trim it and continue using it. I'm not even close to a top target shooter but I often shoot 1" groups at 20 yards and 4" groups out to 60. I shoot Carbon Express and Victory arrows togeather with 300 and 350 spines weighing from 340 to 400grains. Arrow lenghts vary from 27 3/4' to 29 " lengths. I do all my own bow tuning and maintainance so I'm a stickler for keeping my bow shooting well. I'm not a good enough archer to tell any difference between the various lenghts, weights and spines except the lighter arrow drops slightly less beyond 40 yards and also drifts more when it's windy. My bow paper tunes and group tunes well with all these arrows.I've never missed a deer because of my equipment. It's been me, every time.

Last edited by J.Blay; 06-24-2009 at 09:41 AM.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
aljo

i understand shortening an arrow will make it stiffer. since i'm shooting a pretty stiff arrow now (340) may i'll drop to a 400. i'll talk to my pro shop this weekend.while i'm on the subject, here's one more thing. i undrstand the danger of being underspined, but what are the drawbacks of being overspined. no one, not even my dealer has really explained this to me clearly. remember, i'm not very bright, so type slowly.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
madmike1735

madmike1735 is on a distinguished road

just curious, you said you were shooting good tight groups.... why did you rip the vanes off???? in my opinion, you should have just shortened the arrows 1 inch..... then re-sight accordingly.
madmike1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Arrow Length

I asked EASTON these same question last year. You see many rest companies
are suggesting for best performance with a broadhead that the arrow be a 1/2" to 1" past the rest at full draw. Easton stated that as long as the arrows are the right spine, that good performace will be found. They incourage arrows length to be just past the face of the rizer, for many safety reasons.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote