Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 07-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
za_boy

za_boy is on a distinguished road
Default BT or Hinge - help a newbie please

Here's my question, Carter Only or Carter Evolution+ for 3d/field/target? Which one and why?

Ranger
za_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
archeryisme
Old and Experienced

archeryisme is on a distinguished road
Default Only

I have only shot the evolution a couple times so I can not give a review on it.
I own and love the Carter Only. Lots of adjustment and nice feel in the hand. Prior to it I was using a 3 finger Scott Longhorn. Only reason I switch to the Only was just to try something different. I actually think I may get a little more consistant release with the Only.
archeryisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

I didn't do to well with the Evo. After a couple of weeks, I went back to my Zenith hinge. This wasn't the release, it was completely me. I think that my form isn't what you need for the Evo.

One thing that I did learn about it was that you have to keep your bow shoulder down. If you let it come up you'll feel like you are pulling the wheels off, but in reality, you won't be putting enough pressure on the release to get it to let go.

Also, I had a little trouble switching back. It took me a couple of days to get back to shooting my hinge well.

Hope this helps,
Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
za_boy

So there's nothing wrong with a hinge release then? I've had some folks trying to shove the Evo down my throat saying how bad a hinge is. Funny, I've shot the Atension and the Evo and by far prefered the Atension.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Ranger
Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
za_boy

Anyone else have an opinion or some advice?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Look what you tope pro's are shooting either a Hinge or a Trigger.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Hinge or thumb for me... although I kind'a like shooting my spike every now and then...
Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
todzilla

todzilla is on a distinguished road
Default releases

Well i own both plus a sensation.

What the biggest thing with the evo is that you MUST make a perfect shoot every Time, If on uneven ground it's hard to be consistent with it.

The only I shoot better In the long run as I've had it for a couple of weeks and enjoy it more as i have a little more room for mistakes.

Hope this helps
Todd
todzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

za_boy

I quickly grabbed a piece from an article I wrote a while back; some of this may give you an insight on your question

I hope it helps.

Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I prefer mine set “Hard” be it the Hinge, Thumb release, Evo

Setting it up so it fires without much effort – a “hair trigger” works fine for a while but usually tends to make a person anticipate the shot, builds paranoia over miss fires while drawing back and letting down and causes some shots to be premature - firing very quickly while settling into the X

When setting up a hinge or thumb release that has more hang time or travel while pulling thru the shot helps a person stay stronger thru the aiming process of the shot thus helping a person from having a “weak shot due to – pre-relaxing of the muscles while still aiming” Versus staying strong and somewhat stable thru the whole shot process.

You will see at times when some of us shoot under pressure in a shoot off where we have to let down because of the shot not going off as wanted “we will then switch to a Harder release - more travel or effort needed before it fires” in order to stay stronger in that high pressure shot thus scoring better under pressure. Most people think that we are switching to an easier release when it’s actually the opposite.

Have you heard the saying? - No two people are ever alike; everyone does have their own unique personality. This statement carries a lot of weight when it comes to one being able to understand and repeat in a physical manner what he or she has been taught.
My old saying here is Archery is 95% mental and I still say this is close to being true yet today. Truly the only obstacle that most have to get by to achieve what we all desire is the space between our ears. Being that we all have our own unique personality affects on how we interpret a command, how our mind reacts to pressure, how we stay focused, and most of all how each and every one of us can try to stay relaxed versus being nervous.

We all have the desire to shoot well, one simple step will turn one individual into a shooting machine where as this won’t do diddly for the rest of the archers that are working their way up.

I myself many years ago shot back to back 55x -300s at the nationals and I did this with my hunting – target release a Scott Mongoose caliper release triggered with the finger,

I went to a back tension to try to get the last couple Xs more consistent.

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
stevejo@work

stevejo@work is on a distinguished road

I have the EVO + and the Sensation.

I'm not sure if it is designed this way or not, but the sensation seems to be part thumb release part tension release.

What I notice is that with a heavier spring in it, I can load up the thumb pretty good. Then start to pull through the shot like with a back tension release. The shot will go off without increasing thumb pressure.

You can see this principle if you screw in the thumb adjustment screw, you can get it to trigger much like a tension release. I had mine set too light initially and punched myself in the face twice in the same day before realizing what I had done.

The EVO is cool. It wont let you shoot incorrectly... My first day of shooting it I let down about 50 shots. I havent let down 50 shots all year!

It's an excellent tool. Not sure about it's use for me in tournaments. The uphills are brutal with it. Still too early to tell.

The sensation is amazing in its own right. Together, they are absolutely awesome.
stevejo@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
za_boy

Thanks everyone. I've ordered myself a 4 finger TRU Ball HT.

ZA