Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 07-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Devine Shot

Devine Shot is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts On PEER Grouping?

OK State Shoot was defiantly one of the best shoots of my life this year. Yea it is kinda Ironic that I say this because of the Choke Factor in the last five targets, but that is something that I needed to find out how I would handle a situation like that. This year ASA peer grouping the shoots in my opinion is the best thing for the sport. For those of us that take the game to the national level it gives us a better feel for the pressure ahead at the big shoots. This weekend I was put with a great group of shooters and only thing could of made it better if Karl had happen to get chosen to shoot in this group. Yet I had to shoot against a man that has gone to two National Pro Ams and won both of them handily. He was already in my head yet I was very excited to shoot with him. I made a mistake on target 3 for us and shot a five on the wolf. I did not get down cause I knew I could make up some points on down the road. In four targets he had me by 9 points and I was still determined to get him. I was very satisfied through the next 14 targets as I had caught up to one point of him and on the 19 th target we had a seven point swing in my favor. On the 20th target I got two more points on him to increase my lead by 8 points. Five targets to go and I have me a State Championship. Well Pressure finally got to me and started peeking early and shot five 8 in a row. In the mean time Trent in our group was finishing real strong and had himself one heck of a day. And Justin Bethel finished strong and indeed took our buckle across the red river.

I tell this story because to me it is the essence of competition and one thing I have missed in this sport in particular. We compete a lot of times while shooting with people that are not in our class and has no bearing of the outcome to the finish in my class. I welcome the challenge to be pushed to get me out of my comfort zone and see how I will perform. Yea I choked big time but yet I still had one of the best shoots of my life. I got to find out what I was made of and what my fellow competitors were made of as well. Now I can take that information in and grow from there as a shooter. Trent awesome job man cause keeping score you were reminded often of the big point spread you had to come back from and man you went out guns a blazin Great Job... Sean Had fun you kept real strong for awhile and for Justin you are a TRUE champion... Even after you where aware of the fact I was choking you had some words of encouragement to try to get me back to normal. Thanks for that it meant a lot. Karl man we did not get to shoot together much but the BATTLE AT COYOTE BLUFF will never be forgotten by me Congrats on Shooter of the year you are one class act. It truly hurt to not have you in our group at state. That would been the only thing I would have changed that day.

Once again thanks to all the ASA Reps who made the shotgun starts and peer grouping possible cause I truly believe it made me better this year and I am going to learn from State as well.... It has been one fun year.....

THE STATE SHOOT ROCKED........
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
J.A.G.

J.A.G. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to J.A.G.

when its a qualifier, state shoot, or for money, heck ya it should be peer grouped.. It not only stacks you up against your competitors but also eliminates any doubts of cheating, and that has been an issue.. I take my shooting seriously, and this is the only way to do it.

If I want to shoot with my friends, i shoot a fun round.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Mike

Next year it is my understanding that ever qaulifer and state shoot will have to operate on a shotgun start at the same time both days. Groups should be placed with there same classes when ever possiable. Sometimes there just not enough to form a group of form and is not possiable.

THis has been a good thing this year and for some who travel this makes for a fair contest.

Everyone wants a fair contest and shotgun starts with peer grouping or assigned groups is the fairest way. It a contest and this gives everyone a fair chance.
DB
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
bow cat 349

bow cat 349 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
OK State Shoot was defiantly one of the best shoots of my life this year. Yea it is kinda Ironic that I say this because of the Choke Factor in the last five targets, but that is something that I needed to find out how I would handle a situation like that. This year ASA peer grouping the shoots in my opinion is the best thing for the sport. For those of us that take the game to the national level it gives us a better feel for the pressure ahead at the big shoots. This weekend I was put with a great group of shooters and only thing could of made it better if Karl had happen to get chosen to shoot in this group. Yet I had to shoot against a man that has gone to two National Pro Ams and won both of them handily. He was already in my head yet I was very excited to shoot with him. I made a mistake on target 3 for us and shot a five on the wolf. I did not get down cause I knew I could make up some points on down the road. In four targets he had me by 9 points and I was still determined to get him. I was very satisfied through the next 14 targets as I had caught up to one point of him and on the 19 th target we had a seven point swing in my favor. On the 20th target I got two more points on him to increase my lead by 8 points. Five targets to go and I have me a State Championship. Well Pressure finally got to me and started peeking early and shot five 8 in a row. In the mean time Trent in our group was finishing real strong and had himself one heck of a day. And Justin Bethel finished strong and indeed took our buckle across the red river.

I tell this story because to me it is the essence of competition and one thing I have missed in this sport in particular. We compete a lot of times while shooting with people that are not in our class and has no bearing of the outcome to the finish in my class. I welcome the challenge to be pushed to get me out of my comfort zone and see how I will perform. Yea I choked big time but yet I still had one of the best shoots of my life. I got to find out what I was made of and what my fellow competitors were made of as well. Now I can take that information in and grow from there as a shooter. Trent awesome job man cause keeping score you were reminded often of the big point spread you had to come back from and man you went out guns a blazin Great Job... Sean Had fun you kept real strong for awhile and for Justin you are a TRUE champion... Even after you where aware of the fact I was choking you had some words of encouragement to try to get me back to normal. Thanks for that it meant a lot. Karl man we did not get to shoot together much but the BATTLE AT COYOTE BLUFF will never be forgotten by me Congrats on Shooter of the year you are one class act. It truly hurt to not have you in our group at state. That would been the only thing I would have changed that day.

Once again thanks to all the ASA Reps who made the shotgun starts and peer grouping possible cause I truly believe it made me better this year and I am going to learn from State as well.... It has been one fun year.....

Peer grouping only works if you have a 2 day event, because some people may not be able make shoot if you tell them they have to be there at a set time on a 1 day event. Thats my thought on that for all it's worth. I have always thought State Championship should be 2 days so you could peer group shooter of the year shooters in a group on sat. then you would know where you stand during shoot. I don't have to worry about any of that anymore.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
springy shooter

springy shooter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post

Very well said Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the kind words! I would have loved to have shot in your group also! It would have been one more added challenge to an already challenging shoot!

I do agree with peer grouping when ever it is possible!

The qualifier at Coyote Bluff is one of those shoots that won't be forgotten! It was a great shooting with you and Byron!

You, Justin and Trent all shot great this weekend and that I congradulate you all on!

Again, very well said! Hope we can shoot together again in the near future!

Karl
springy shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road
Default Very well said Mike!

I couldn't agree with you more. Peer grouping benefits everyone wanting to step up their game. I like to shoot with my buddies and enjoy the comaraderie at the little local fun shoots, but really enjoy competing head to head with my peers. The only way you are going to be able to handle the pressure at the national shoots is if you put yourself in that situation locally too.
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Peer grouping

Breaking archers into groups. What a great way to meet fellow archers!
DB
Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
J.A.G.

J.A.G. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to J.A.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Breaking archers into groups. What a great way to meet fellow archers!
DB
Right On!~