Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Check out this Hoyt Bow

Picture here is Jesse Broadwater bow that he just almost shot a perfect score in field archery.

What I want you to notice is where he has his rest.

Reason for that is so the rest is over his wrist or pivot point of the wrist.

Im told this helps on torguing the bow. You will see many pros shoot with the rest back over the wrist area.

Check out that side bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01762.JPG (62.8 KB, 537 views)

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 07-30-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

I have a rest in the making as we speak to see if I can tell the difference or not. Cant wait til its done. Should be done in another week or so.
Jame
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting concept that I have read about. Not sure if it really helps or not. Everyone says overdraw type systems hurt yet here you see some of the pros doing it.

This would also imply brace height does not matter either.

I'd love to know a whole lot more about what bow, arrows, rest, release, sight, aiming dot or fiber, lens, etc that he used to destroy the records.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's an interesting concept that I have read about. Not sure if it really helps or not. Everyone says overdraw type systems hurt yet here you see some of the pros doing it.

This would also imply brace height does not matter either.

I'd love to know a whole lot more about what bow, arrows, rest, release, sight, aiming dot or fiber, lens, etc that he used to destroy the records.
Im hoping to get this info from Jesse. I was once told when Jeff Hopkins had his rest that far back this is the reason. Burly Hall was the one that gave me this info. You are correct it certianly takes away the brace heigth.
DB
Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Devine Shot

Devine Shot is on a distinguished road

Wow something that far back from center of pivot seems it would move more with torgue. In math I remember say near center of circle you move 1/8 inch then back off 6 inches that same move is about two to three inches. I know someone telling me to move my rest as far back as possible yet physics did not make sense. So now trying to figure the wrist point angle. Interesting. Would like to hear the reasons why this would help with torque.

COOL STUFF......
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
bowdon
bowdon

bowdon is on a distinguished road

Frank Person shot this way years ago because he said his pivot point was over his wrist. He also shot a release with a clicker. Crazy, but he could shoot the light out so I couldn't say he was wrong. Dean can remember him shooting that way I'm sure.
bowdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

Here is Jesse's rest. The pic is from a couple years ago. Mike Lepera at Brite site makes them for him. There is not a whole lot to it.

It is my understanding that you can accomplish the same thing with a trophy take spring steel "long bar" without modification. No one around here seems to have any long bars in stock to try though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesse's rest.jpg (6.3 KB, 494 views)
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
Wow something that far back from center of pivot seems it would move more with torgue. In math I remember say near center of circle you move 1/8 inch then back off 6 inches that same move is about two to three inches. I know someone telling me to move my rest as far back as possible yet physics did not make sense. So now trying to figure the wrist point angle. Interesting. Would like to hear the reasons why this would help with torque.

COOL STUFF......
You are correct on the physics part not making sense. The key variable that supersedes the laws of physics is the timing element. With the overdraw the arrow is off the rest and gone sooner with the overdraw than without. The thought process is that since the arrow is in contact with the rest for a shorter time it theoretically will be gone before your bow hand has a chance to torque the bow.

This is why the fall-away rests are so popular with many archers. The overdraw has two additional advantages over the fall-away in that it has no moving parts/ropes to to fail plus it allows long draw archers to shoot shorter arrows.

With Jesse I remember him talking about finding a perfect position directly over his wrist that created better "dynamic balance". I'd have to dig for that article though to get the specifics.
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
bowdon
bowdon

bowdon is on a distinguished road

The over draw that were made into some recurve bow were made for this reason and the over draw was made for this reason to begin with not to shoot short arrows like most think, but for putting the arrow over the wrist. When we shot recurve bow the grips were made for a higher wrist because we thought that was the way to shoot. Not a low wrist like most bow are made for how. I can remember getting a new company compound bow that would have a grip on it and I take them off and trowing them away and shoot off the riser. It would be skinner and we could made wrist bone contact with the riser
bowdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Gotcha Nock Jim

Gotcha Nock Jim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
You are correct on the physics part not making sense. The key variable that supersedes the laws of physics is the timing element. With the overdraw the arrow is off the rest and gone sooner with the overdraw than without. The thought process is that since the arrow is in contact with the rest for a shorter time it theoretically will be gone before your bow hand has a chance to torque the bow.

This is why the fall-away rests are so popular with many archers. The overdraw has two additional advantages over the fall-away in that it has no moving parts/ropes to to fail plus it allows long draw archers to shoot shorter arrows.

With Jesse I remember him talking about finding a perfect position directly over his wrist that created better "dynamic balance". I'd have to dig for that article though to get the specifics.
I would have to agree with this. In the 80's when overdraws were popular for gaining speed,my club started shooting them indoors, Remember several indoor tournaments in Texas where the (OLD TIMERS) would make comments about they didn't think we could compete indoors with heavy poundage overdraw bows on the OPEN or scoped classes. After the shoots we left them scratching thier heads! I actually shot better indoor scores then than now. Is age catching up , or is there something to that? our theory was cut 10% of the arrow thats 10% less influence your body has on the shot. Fads come & go I honestly don't have a clue!
Gotcha Nock Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Devine Shot

Good Stuff, I can see the wrist possibly taking the pivot point to some degree, it gets off faster being shorter, I would like to know it must be just a fraction of millimeter of a second faster. Not sure that would help.

This has got me thinking no matter how he set it up he performed flawlessly on form WOW great job Jesse....

Still be interesting to try at least could give confidence boost if nothing else.

Oh and Jim referring to your story when I was 17 or so I had set up this Golden Eagle Formula 3D if you guys remember the bow with the lift Kit and I had a overdraw on it probably shooting 70 lbs with 31 in draw. I was getting 315fps back then. I go up to a local indoor cause for first time in any competition start looking at everyone rig and they looked at me like I was crazy. Got up to the shooting line and all their bows went thump.............Smack Then my Bow went CWRRRRRRACCCKKKK.SMACKKK....

But at the end of the night I had a 299 and like 51x's but heck them arrows were dang hard to pull out of them there targets. But after my first shot at a deer with Doe Fever I forgot about speed and went back to forgiving bows..
Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Devine Shot

I am going have look see if I still have one of them there overdraws....Could come in Handy.....