Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 07-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Broadheads

A subject that gets hammered every year at this time.Being someone inolved in archery for almost 47years, I feel obligated to speak up for those that may not have so much experience. It was not to long ago that a quality pack of (6) broadheads could be had for twenty bucks. It seems most companys are selling only three heads in a pack today for $40.00 or more. There are probably only a few worth that cost.
Computer Added Design (CAD) CNC machining, and a special mix of alloys to make a superior product can run the cost up. However just because a company pays big dollars for all the well knowns of present day to come out of the wood work and boost about the product does not make it the best choice. There is a tendency to forget about bow tuning and buy what flys good on your buddies bow. The companys out there are capitalizing on our own lazyness to learn our equipment, practice hard with it. And then doing all we can to acheive good arrow flight. When you have time google up Walk Back Tuning for FP's and BH"S. The reading you will find by folks like Curt Wells will help anyone achieve good arrow flight. I would submit to you that I can take any Broadhead out there and achieve very good shooting results.
Sometimes different spines or vane profiles, have to change. You cannot expect to put blazer vanes on any shaft with any BH and expect good results.
These is why the mechanical market has blossomed in the last 8 to 10 years.
The manufactures can acheive decent arrow flight on almost any set up because of the high arrow dynamic designis. I beleive that a quiet bow and an arrow with good straight flight no wobbles or fishtails will create good clean kills. And thats what any good sportsman or woman should be looking for. If you have been Hunting for Twenty or more years, ask yourself why you are nor using some of the things you used years ago. I would agrue that
three heads out there have taken more deer than any mechanical. Thunderhead by NAP, MuzzyTM, and Bear Razorheads. These are still good heads today but take a little extra tuning with our fast bows we all enjoy today. Think about it all and remember your better bow kills, what was the total arrow weight. What kind of KE did you acheive, most likely your arrows
with good arrow flight and great killing energy were in the range of 450 to 500+ grains. Speed is a good thing, but straight quiet, complete pass thru is better in my book. I wrote this as an aide to the many of the young guys that
are trying to tweek in that new bow, and by now are getting a little frustrated. P.S. I remember an Old freind who loved the results of a certain head that had a lot of very sharp long razor edged surface to it. He enjoyed the great bloodtrails and short tracks to find his harvest. He flectched his shafts withfour five inch feathers to achieve perfect arrow flight, and took several Bull Elk with that set up! Good to Luck to All!

Last edited by grizz49; 07-27-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Good post

Very well said.

Lots of broadheads out there and if tuned right they work.

Its all about each archer taking the time to get the bow tuned and the archer.

Placement in hunting is the main key!
D
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
grizz49
Old Archer

Smile BroadHeads

DB,

I have read many of your posts, I thought you might ring in and agree!
The rewards of Big Bucks $$$ I guess, will make even sacred Archery Cows say things that they most likely are not in 100% agremeent to.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
hunter2678

hunter2678 is on a distinguished road

I'm with some of you "ol timers" on this.. ...some of theses new trendy "boutique" broadheads as I like to call them are just downright stupid...due to the marketing folks, they have been all colored up with neat designs and shapes and seem to ignore function alltogether..its just rediculous. A simple, well made, field proven, quality fixed head is always going to be the benchmark of reliability. Now, where I guess I dont agree is when some of the folks in the "old school" pontificate that you simply cant take a 300+lb deer with any arrow weighing under 450 gns. These new bows today dont require a super heavy arrow to shoot great, hard or shoot quietly like the old vertical limb bows. The efficiency is 100x's better now than 15-20 yrs ago and therefore we can do way more with less. I understand the momentum aspect and the forgiveness aspect, but a 475-500+ gn arrow for whitetail deer is borderline dead weight imo and not a needed requirement in todays archery equipment. You can make your arguments both ways but like I always say, I dont care what your arrow weighs, if you cant put it in the boiler room it wont really matter will it.?

Last edited by hunter2678; 07-28-2009 at 05:58 AM.
hunter2678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

....yup...on the hitting the boiler room comment. Beyond that it does'nt much matter. I have arrows from 300 to 575 grains ready to go from different bows. Whatever works for you and hit's the spot. Accuracy and sharpness have always ruled.

Last edited by red44; 07-28-2009 at 06:37 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
grizz49
Old Archer

Talking You Got It!

Boutique Broadheads, Please give permission so I can reuse this. Oh! Mr. Adams your pretty Boutique Broadheads are ready!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
hunter2678

you got my permission grizz...even though your from that state up north...
Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

I agree somewhat,sure your bow should be tuned well, and if it is i dont see a problem in using mechs,use what you want,I think they got a bad rap for giving new archers the lazy way out.But some of the mechs are just so nasty looking and do a great job no reason not to use them.
Also prices have sky rocketed,but if your willin to pay 1000.00 dollars for a bow,why would you not pay up to $50 bucks for some killer well made, in the USA broadheads.............
Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
hunter2678

For a mech head I like the Tekan II's and the Rage 2 blade myself due to the simple design and deployment method.....however have yet to put either through a deer...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
grizz49
Old Archer

Default Broadheads

Hey,

Hunter2678, I would never kick a Buckeye when he is down! just kiddin.. The Tekans are a very good head, and made right here in the great Lakes State where it all started.., as far as another head mentioned, the judgement I think is still out on all components are made here or Over well other than USA..
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
ozzy

ozzy is on a distinguished road

Yup, I like the K.I.S.S. method myself.
Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
hunter2678

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
Hey,

Hunter2678, I would never kick a Buckeye when he is down! just kiddin.. The Tekans are a very good head, and made right here in the great Lakes State where it all started.., as far as another head mentioned, the judgement I think is still out on all components are made here or Over well other than USA..
Well in that case I'm sellin my Tekans...... ..I'd rather buy Foreign!!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

Grizz and DB said it well.
When I started hunting i was very concerned about what Bh to use, arrow weight and so on. My father in law took me under his wing and told me to forget about all of that for now and just become proficient at shooting. He told me that you could have the best bow, broadheads in the world and it is all useless next to the ability to shoot. He was right. He has been hunting for 30 years and knows what he likes to shoot. I have been hunting for two years and tried both mech and fixed heads but in the end i think that the reason I have had success is that I shoot my bow once a week minimum. To create a cooler looking head but lose function is pointless and I have to agree that some companies do just that. If you are willing to put in the time to learn to tune and shoot a bow what head you use maters little. If you are not willing to work on this skill then no mater of technology will consistently put meat in the fridge.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Gotcha Nock Jim

Gotcha Nock Jim is on a distinguished road

Shot many deer and pigs with expandables. many clean shoot thru in the rib cage at about 280 fps with 350 gr. seems the thin blades flex when hitting rib bones and then open back up. does extreme damage. however at 260 fps same set up at 60 lbs wasn't getting very many shoot thru's . pigs are definately thicker skinned than deer. I would reccomend expandables only be shot at 280 up on pigs. 260 on deer. Just my opinion! I definately agree with above notes shot placement & razor sharp is the main key.
Gotcha Nock Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Devine Shot

Devine Shot is on a distinguished road

I have not checked out all the mechanical broadheads out there but someone showed me one that does not open until blades has passed by the entry part of flesh. I am not sure why one design a head like this? If you do not get a pass through for what ever reason then all you have is a pen hole for blood to leak from.

Can someone tell me if I am off base with this thought process.
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Gotcha Nock Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
I have not checked out all the mechanical broadheads out there but someone showed me one that does not open until blades has passed by the entry part of flesh. I am not sure why one design a head like this? If you do not get a pass through for what ever reason then all you have is a pen hole for blood to leak from.

Can someone tell me if I am off base with this thought process.
I would have to agree , I wouldn't shoot that broadhead for that reason unless someone could prove to me it would pass thru every time (unlikely) Merle at TEXAS S pig ranch has seen more kills with a bow than anyone I ever met ( avg 5 hunters a day ,year round killing a pig a day each. VERY TOUCHY about wounding pigs and not recovering them! He was comfortable with most of the expandables 1' 1/2 or smaller WITH reasonable poundage. 50 lbs he liked to see some of the smaller fixed blades,
Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
Gotcha Nock Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha Nock Jim View Post
I would have to agree , I wouldn't shoot that broadhead for that reason unless someone could prove to me it would pass thru every time (unlikely) Merle at TEXAS S pig ranch has seen more kills with a bow than anyone I ever met ( avg 5 hunters a day ,year round killing a pig a day each. VERY TOUCHY about wounding pigs and not recovering them! He was comfortable with most of the expandables 1' 1/2 or smaller WITH reasonable poundage. 50 lbs he liked to see some of the smaller fixed blades,
By the way these guys (Merle and his guides) were REAL partial to the steel force 2 blade for pigs.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
hunter2678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha Nock Jim View Post
By the way these guys (Merle and his guides) were REAL partial to the steel force 2 blade for pigs.
You mean those FatHeads?...those things are nasty!!
Old 08-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
Bob4

Bob4 is on a distinguished road

Glad to see this post. I almost got caught up in changing heads and for no good reason.
When I was taught, no so long ago, he who taught used Muzzys. I haven't wavered from there yet. They hit on the spot for me. So why would I change to a Boutique broadhead ? Bowhunting forum
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #20
Werd

Werd is on a distinguished road

I hate the cost of the 40$ heads. I will still shoot them tho
Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
bad0351

bad0351 is on a distinguished road

Getting back into bowhunting this fall after about 15 years.....Picked up a Bowtech Sniper and OMG!! has the equipment ever improved!!!
Anyways, I was trying to figure which heads to use and after reading 100s of reviews and asking experienced folks for help I finaly decided to go with what has worked for you guys for a long time.

Goin with the Muzzy MX3s
I'll let you know my results.

Dale
bad0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
grizz49
Old Archer

Thumbs up Broadhead Update!

Well I felt after 600+ arrows or so, the creep should be all gone from my string and the Reezen was ready to test fly two new heads. At least new to me anyhow. The Bow is at 65lbs, shooting a Beman MFX 340 at 29" w/2' BLAZER VANES. The first up was the improved Tekan head bY G5. The same arrow shot 5 times at 20 yards at a 2" orange sticker. Consistanly all 5 arrows shot a group 7" to the right of the sticker. This head has (four blade surfaces). Next up was the G5 Stricker 100grain, same arrow. Three out five arrows were only one inch right but still cutting the sticker. The other two were about 2" to the right, I think that was me a little tired and not steady. The shafts were test spun, with and without heads on to check for wobble. The only extra thing that was added was a easton broadhead bushing.

I think this was pretty good result for the G5 Stricker, shot right from the box with no real extra tuning. This weekend I will use the walk back method for both the FP's and BH's,. I hope the arrow flight stays good out to 50 yards!

I think most would agree that a inch or two off, not bad should be able to tune out and tweek in dead nuts. I'm glad Stricker won out, just never been a big fan of exspandables. Eight years outfitting folks I have seen a lot of unhappy guys that lost or missed the Trophy of a lifetime. I'm sure like the rest of our equipment that it is a confidence game. If you have faith and believe in it, it will work! I WILL UPDATE NEXT WEEK!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

Grizz,

I had a very similar experience W/ the strikers 100 gr last year. It would shoot about one inch low at 20 yards and to me that is about as good as it gets. I took my buck with a striker last year and it passed right through even after hitting the shoulder on the far side of the deer. The blades were very beat up but none broke and the body/furrel of the head was strait. The stainless tip was still in good shape. They get my approval for what that's worth.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
OB1.25

OB1.25 is on a distinguished road
Default Meat Seekers!! (last years Undertakers)

As far as expandables Trophy Ridge Meat Seekers all the way!!!! great penetration, seem them go though shoulder bones on many occasions unfazed. arguably the best out there.

(x2) 2007 Guardians 70# @29in.
GoldTip 5575
Gateway Razor feathers
Limb drivers, HHAs
meanv supressor, TruBall
OB1.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
hunter2678

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
Well I felt after 600+ arrows or so, the creep should be all gone from my string and the Reezen was ready to test fly two new heads. At least new to me anyhow. The Bow is at 65lbs, shooting a Beman MFX 340 at 29" w/2' BLAZER VANES. The first up was the improved Tekan head bY G5. The same arrow shot 5 times at 20 yards at a 2" orange sticker. Consistanly all 5 arrows shot a group 7" to the right of the sticker. This head has (four blade surfaces). Next up was the G5 Stricker 100grain, same arrow. Three out five arrows were only one inch right but still cutting the sticker. The other two were about 2" to the right, I think that was me a little tired and not steady. The shafts were test spun, with and without heads on to check for wobble. The only extra thing that was added was a easton broadhead bushing.

I think this was pretty good result for the G5 Stricker, shot right from the box with no real extra tuning. This weekend I will use the walk back method for both the FP's and BH's,. I hope the arrow flight stays good out to 50 yards!

I think most would agree that a inch or two off, not bad should be able to tune out and tweek in dead nuts. I'm glad Stricker won out, just never been a big fan of exspandables. Eight years outfitting folks I have seen a lot of unhappy guys that lost or missed the Trophy of a lifetime. I'm sure like the rest of our equipment that it is a confidence game. If you have faith and believe in it, it will work! I WILL UPDATE NEXT WEEK!
Your tekans shot worse than your fixed blades?!..7 inches worse!?..WTF? Mine always shoot spot on with fp's out to any ydg..something dont sound right grizz...the nock on expandables has always been reliability but Ive never heard of any of them flying worse esp that much worse than fixed heads...
Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
HoytUSA

HoytUSA is on a distinguished road

I have shot mech. BHs for years. However, last year I was having trouble with penetration with the Rage 2-blade and the Shockwave heads. Then I was introduced to the Tight Point Shuttle T-Locks in the middle of the season. I was able to harvest a nice 9 pointer and my first turkey. The deer was at 52 yards and the turkey was 56 yards away. I got a passthrough on the buck and and of course the turkey too. These heads shoot the exact same as my field points and are a strong head. Almost indestructable! I would definatley reccomend them to anyone looking for new head for deer or any other game for that matter. You better believe Tight Points will be on my hunting arrows come September 5 and hopefully through the big 8 that I've been hunting sinnce last year.
HoytUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
grizz49
Old Archer

Red face Boutique Broadhaeads

Twenty five to thirty years ago, we hunted with very sharp, and very long bladed razor heads. We almost always had to have plenty of fletching to cancel out guidance adjustments that the broadhead would what to make because of air stream forces over the blade surfaces.

Now fast forward to today, and we have very fast bows and some broadheads that are really not all that streamlined! A rage 2 blade counting the tip has (6) edges sticking up above the ferule profile. I recently heard a story of a PSE pro staffers bow (X Force) I beleive set with very high poundage opened the rage head at the release of the arrow.

As stated before, you have to experiment to find what works for you, they all work. Most likely if you are willing to make shaft, fletch or poundage
adjustments to your bow. However most will shoot a the head, that performs with similar accuracy to there FP's. To bad that the heads are not sold individually. Would make testing a whole lot cheaper. I remember a Shop in Northern Michigan that did just that, sold the brands they carried individually if you wanted to try something new. What a Novel idea!!!!!!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.