Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road
Default broken arrow

Have any of you ever had an arrow break when fired? I got a friend into hunting this year, He and I went out the other day and I set up in a tree next to his just to watch. A doe came in and when he shot at it his arrow snapped in 1/2 about 3 inches in front of the vanes. I know that they are the correct spine. He is shooting 55 lb at 28 inches and using gold tip trophy hunters 400 spine. The only thing I can think of is that it was a new arrow, never shot before and maybe it had a flaw. I don't know if he bent it before shooting it" like the shaft tells you to" . I was just so sad for him, his first shot at a deer and all he got was a big mark up his bow arm. All of his other arrows have been fired at least once now and all others are fine. he and I paper tuned his bow this year and were able to get bullet holes with ease so I don't think he has a problem there. I just don't want to see him get hurt. he got very lucky that the back part of the arrow just scraped his arm as opposed to puncturing . Any advice is helpful, thanks.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
oldschool

oldschool is on a distinguished road

I have been bowhunting and competitive shooting for over 35 years and I have never seen what you describe. I have seen nocks break, and arrows shatter on impact, but never snap off like that. I think your hypothesis is as good as any, that the arrow was defective. I hope your friend didn't get too discouraged. If he has shot the other arrows without incident I don't believe he has anything to fear, nor is it likely something he did wrong. That's why it's called hunting and not killing.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. I just wanted to hear someone else say that they think he is safe to continue hunting and shooting with those arrows. I don't think he was too discouraged, just happy that some one was there to confirm that he did not just miss and blame it on an arrow. I have no dough that he will continue hunting. I have told him since he started talking about hunting that shooting a target and hunting are two different things and that in the woods things just seem to go wrong. I could not believe it when I saw it, At first I thought his nock broke because the arrow all but fell off the end of his bow, but when we got down we found the arrow in two pieces. It was a clean break too.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote