Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 07-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
ptcruz421

ptcruz421 is on a distinguished road
Default What's the funniest thing you've seen hunting.

Just wondering what's the funniest thing you've seen or had happen to you or a buddy while hunting.

I was hunting a field edge and had some deer in the field. So as it got dark, I didn't want to spook the deer in the field so I decide to try to leave a different way.

As I worked my way around the field, just inside the woods, I had to duck under this bush. It got to the point, I was basically on my hands and knees. As I crawled under, I just happen to look up and came face to face with a big ole coon. I don't know who jumped more him or me. I know I went pretty high because I whacked my head on the tree I was going under. The coon nearly came out of it's skin trying to figure out the quickest way out of there.
ptcruz421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
Mooseplus

Mooseplus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mooseplus
Default Ah coon story!!!

Bear hunting a few years back, my BIL had elected to climb into a huge spruce tree (gun hunter)in oder to get a complete view over a wheat field visited by bears while I went to position myself further down on my tree stand. It had been agreed that I would live my stand when too dark to hunt and that I would meet with him at his tree.

Comes dark, I return towards him and his tree. When almost there I hear Kaboum!!! By that time it is almost total darkness and all I can see is a 6'5' human body jumping right out of the tree!

As I was walking up to his position, I had disturbed a family of raccoons. Mama raccoon decided that the big spruce tree would be a good place to lead her little family to safety. However, all BIL could hear is claws scratching on the way up. When the mama coon came face to face with him all he saw was a big round dark ball which his brain immediately identified as a bear head.

It scared him out of his wits and point blank shot the mama coon
Mooseplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
locator

locator is on a distinguished road

Funny/not funny.
Turkey hunting out of a blind,
Packed everything out to my blind an hour before daybreak, waited til just after first light, started prepping early, as I could hear when they start dropping out of the roost like pumpkins hitting the ground.
Bino's, check,rangefinder,check, work the release a few times,check....
Nock an arrow,
Left the whole quiver sitting on the hood of my truck.
Not cool. At all.
locator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
RxBowhunterKS
Paddle in water

RxBowhunterKS is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago.........

Came walking out of the woods with a friend and noticed something on the toolbox behind the cab of my truck. I was trying to figure out what it could be when a turkey's head popped up and watched us walking toward it.
I (being young and foolish ) raised my bow over my head and smacked the bird and the chase was on!!! We chased that stupid bird all over the place in the dark in the rain. Eventually it gave us the slip. On the way home I stopped at a payphone (yes this was before cell phones hit it big) to tell my brother the story. It turns out the bird was one he had released earlier that day that he had raised from an egg.
RxBowhunterKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
Rob Lang
Escape to Wisconsin

Rob Lang is on a distinguished road

I've got a 40 that has a sand road that runs through the property. I had a couple stands that were right off of the road. One night I decided to sit in one. I was up there about an hour when I see a car driving down the road. It stopped about 75 yards before it got to me. Nobody got out of the car, but I could hear some people talking. Got out of my tree to ask them what the they were doing on my property? Walked up to the car, and here are two people "bumpin uglys". Don't know nor did I care how old they were, but I'm pretty sure they were borrowing Mom and Dad's car. I knocked on the window, politely told them to get dressed and it was time to go........You should have saw the look on their faces, they were scared!!

As mad as I was they screwed up my evening hunt, I could not help but laugh
Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
jdawg240
BOWNUTS

jdawg240 is on a distinguished road

My buddy forgot his release about 6 times in one season. Id get all settled in the tree then see him hoofing it back to truck about 20 mintues later . I ask him each time we go out now if he has it.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road

Let's just say it involved long hair and pine pitch. Had to use my knife to hack myself free
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
bowdon
bowdon

bowdon is on a distinguished road

I have bowhunted for a long time and have seen a lot of things. One that comes to mine is running into another bowhunter with a old recurve bow with 3 arrows in his hand that were all different sizes with no two rusty broadheads that matched and no camo on, but a old camo hat. He was telling me how great of trad. bowhunter, stocker and how great of shot he was. He said that I was cheating by using a fancy compound bow Once I went in to a new pro-Shop The owner had a Astro bow in his press and said I can't figure out whats wrong with this bow. I look at it and he had the cams off and put them on back wards the bottom on top and the top on bottom and the string on the wrong side. How would you like having this pro - shop guy work on your bow
bowdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

First deer I shot with a bow. I set up over an existing scrape. First light brought a spike in. I shot and missed. 20 min. later I swear the same deer came back in. He walked the exact same course, stopped and sniffed the same spots, and was about the same place I missed the first time when I shot. The main differance was that I didn't miss again. Life is really is stranger than fiction.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
kleve

kleve is on a distinguished road

I was sittin in a ladder stand one morning and had seen around 15 does and afew bucks, then i looked down and there was a button buck between the lladder and the tree.
kleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road

Twice I've been called on my cell phone. The second was a wrong number, I quietly told the lady I was not so & so and that I was in a tree stand hunting and had deer close by. She said "oh, I'll have to tell my husband, he's a bowhunter to". I have to admit, the deer never seemed to notice it.
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
bowdon
bowdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleve View Post
I was sittin in a ladder stand one morning and had seen around 15 does and afew bucks, then i looked down and there was a button buck between the lladder and the tree.
Once I had a doe come under my stand and for some reason I lift my fanny pack on the ground under me. I usually have it up in the tree with me. She walked over to it and started to chew on it. I trowed a limb at her because I thought she was going to eat it. Once I had a decoy out and a knot head buck butted noses with it and it fell over the button buck came unglued. I had a 140 inch buck come up under my stand and smalled my tree steps and than walked on and I shot him.

Last edited by bowdon; 08-23-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

I have only been bow hunting 0ne year so far this will be year #2. I don't have any stories of my own but some thing funny happened to my father in law last year. he had a small buck fallow a doe and her faun right under him with the buck trying with everything it had to make mom submit when he realized she would not give it up he turned to the faun and all of a sudden that small buck was worth a tag. My father in law thought to himself "I can't condone this".
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
my3sons&I

my3sons&I is on a distinguished road

1.) Spanish coffee and chew don't mix well in the morning. Buddy of mine and I hiked all the way out to the end of this private airport that we had permission to hunt, when he started to climb up in his stand well you know what happened. Him standing there looking up at me with his soiled underwear in his hands telling me what happened was a very, very funny moment.

2.) Bird hunting with the same friend. It was my turn to have to relieve myself, dug a shallow hole, did my duty, used my knit hat to clean up, buried it in the hole, pushed leaves over the top done. Got back to the truck friend comes over and reached in his bird pouch and said "You dropped this out there".

3.) Not so funny. Same airport, got to my stand, pulled my 30/06 up by the hoist string. Hung the pack up, sat down and scanned the 2500 feet of runway to the North, sun comes up and a buck comes out on the edge of the runway just 50yds away. Stands there starts coming over to my side, I lined him up in the cross hairs, deep breath, exhale squeeze the trigger.....click. Forgot to load the gun. He waved by by with that big white tail.
John 3:16
Hoyt Katera 2008.

Last edited by my3sons&I; 08-24-2009 at 12:05 PM.
my3sons&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #15
my3sons&I

my3sons&I is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lang View Post
I've got a 40 that has a sand road that runs through the property. I had a couple stands that were right off of the road. One night I decided to sit in one. I was up there about an hour when I see a car driving down the road. It stopped about 75 yards before it got to me. Nobody got out of the car, but I could hear some people talking. Got out of my tree to ask them what the they were doing on my property? Walked up to the car, and here are two people "bumpin uglys". Don't know nor did I care how old they were, but I'm pretty sure they were borrowing Mom and Dad's car. I knocked on the window, politely told them to get dressed and it was time to go........You should have saw the look on their faces, they were scared!!

As mad as I was they screwed up my evening hunt, I could not help but laugh
Same thing happened to me on the same private air port I hunt. The AP closes after the last load of skydivers go up in the evening. I sit until dark and walk my way out. Well this evening ended early due to low cloud cover. This couple comes down the runway, lays a blanket out and starts at it. I wait for a minute or two and start hitting my fawn bleet. Then my doe grunt, fawn bleet, doe grunt. Everytime I did it, they would stop and look around. Finally they got frustrated because I kept interuppting them and got up and got dressed and left. They never knew I was there in the pine 25 feet up.
John 3:16
Hoyt Katera 2008.
my3sons&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
bowdon
bowdon

Back when I first started bowhunting in the late 60' I was in a stand. A guy came sneaking right by me with a 22 rifle squirrel hunting and walk over to the fence put the gun down and then came down his pants. I sat their as he done his job and paper work. He pick up his gun and went on. He never knew I was there. I got in a stand once and shot a arrow into the bean field to practice. Later a bowhunter came walking up the bean field and found my arrow. As he was putting it in his quiver I said that my arrow and he about crapped all over himself and put the arrow down.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

First year my wife went deer hunting (gun season) she didn't want to sit by herself and I finally got her to sit on one side of a field and I'ld sit on the other so we could keep a eye on each other. Even though I told her about sent control the wife doesn't go anywhere without the make up and the hair done ect...

About a hour into the hunt a doe with two fawns came walking out in the field, when the doe got down wind of the blind she turned and walked straight for the blind. The doe got right up to the blind and I swear she stuck her head over the brush pile and started sniffing my wife up and down. I was watching though my bino's and my wife had her eyes and mouth tightly closed and frooze solid, she looked like she was scared stiff. Then the doe just sneezed and walked away.
Now a days she gets ready for deer hunting her way and I get ready my way.

So much for scent control
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #18
bigbucks4all

bigbucks4all is on a distinguished road

I was useing a climbing tree stand got up my tree one morning and got ready to pull my bow up and figured out that i had forgot to hook my rope to my bow. I then climb down the tree hook my rope on my bow then climb back up.I get ready again, try to pull my bow up and it was stuck on some brush by my stand, so i deside to just give it a good pull and it comes loose, but my quiver broke and came off . At that point i just gave up and left for the day , that was my first year hunting boy was it fun.
bigbucks4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #19
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road

In my early bow hunting career I use to take some apples with me in the tree for a snack. Seem back then the smell of apples couldn't hurt any thing. Well after a couple if them I had to go, yes real bad. So I left the tree, bow on the hanger, fiqured I would hurry and be right back. My favorite log was about 100 yards away to the front of the property. When I returned about 20 min later I returned sneeking my way in, As I got close to the stand I saw movement. A big Bleach white antlered ten point had moved in and was feeding only 20 yards right in front of my stand, to make matters worse there was also a respectable 8 point with him. All I could do was hide and watch from a distance. Just bad timimg I guess!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

armyof1 is on a distinguished road
Default not funny

went hunting with a buddy and he sprayed me with doe estrus without my knowledge . we hung the stands day before and he went back and moved mine needles to say i had to sit on the ground against a tree and fell asleep was woken up by a 10 rubbing his antlers on the otherside of the tree i was assleep against dont know wich one of us more suprised when i screemed you dirty son of a beep at my buddy who was laffing at me anyways i got even .put doe estus in his truck in the hotest part of the summer while he was gone for a week
armyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #21
deerslayer10

deerslayer10 is on a distinguished road

The best one I have to say is one day I was sitting in my stand an some guy came walking across the in short pants and a camo tee shirt with a bow I was hunting an stopped 20 yards from my stand and began to pull his pants down to appearntly what I think was to take a dump so I let out a big yell so he would stop andyou should have seen his face it was histarical
Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
steve bear

steve bear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to steve bear

this is way back....when bow sights first came out...saw a guy trying to sight in his bow & said they are junk...he was laying a arrow on each pin & shooting the bow busted every pin on the sight..never said a word ,almost chocked to keep from busting a gut...

saw a crow pick ticks off a ground hog.
saw deer eat baby birds & egg's ...& fish & this year we watched a deer eat a dead rabbit off the road......
steve bear is offline   Reply With Quote