Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
jim p

jim p is on a distinguished road
Default Hunting against the wind.

I am wanting to hunt a spot where I know the wind should not be in my favor. This spot is between two roads with a good bit of traffic. So can I get away with not hunting the wind since there will be all kinds of scents from the two roads drifting into the area.

I will be trying to use the best scent control that I can.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

armyof1 is on a distinguished road
Default sent

i dont know about this sent thing i shot a deer yesrday and i was smoking a cig cause i was getting ready to leave. any ways he walked right up to me 10 yrds when i shot him .
armyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter

i dont really believe in the scent lock either. I've only got one or two face mask with scent lock, but thats because they were in the bargain cave at cabelas, and they match the terrain I hunt in. I've had deer 20 yards from me, while I was gun hunting on the ground, and they never smelled me while the wind was slightly blowing.. They knew something wasnt right, but they still came in.

I also bow hunt between a major highway, and a well traveled road, and I had my buck come in and didnt even give me a second look.

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows
wildjerseyfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyof1 View Post
i dont know about this sent thing i shot a deer yesrday and i was smoking a cig cause i was getting ready to leave. any ways he walked right up to me 10 yrds when i shot him .
Smoking our clothes and bodies for cover scent has been around long before pale faces showed up on this continent. Deer seem to notice the smoke scent, but generaly don't get alarmed. One spot I hunt is next to a buddies house. He lives on a secluded Oak ridge with lots of acorns this year. I don't need to practice the same level of scent controle there as I would in an area far from people.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

Default ?

I was always told that cig smoke would spood deer ,so i would put in a dip insted look like i will be firing one up when i want from now on lol
Old 10-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Jingaling

Jingaling is on a distinguished road

Yea you guys might have deer come in when your smoking or doing whatever you do!! but your also prolly not dealing with mature deer, big bucks etc. You need to play the wind even if you use scent lok or not!!!
Jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

Default Right

you are correct I am not dealing with monster white tail first off and second I am not a trophy hunter ,I hunt to feed my family and give meet to needy familys.Third I am on publick land so I have to shoot what ever deer comes my way . but i do like the advice about hunting big bucks ,when it comes to deer I will take all the advice i can get so I can pass that knowledge on to my 10 year old son
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingaling View Post
Yea you guys might have deer come in when your smoking or doing whatever you do!! but your also prolly not dealing with mature deer, big bucks etc. You need to play the wind even if you use scent lok or not!!!
Yep! many years ago when I smoked, I had to put the cig out in the tree so I could draw the bow. The smell of the cigerette probably would come under the catagory of a curiosity scent. But I agree, I never took a real mature Trophy Whitetail under cig smoke. And yes I use Scent-Loc and anything else that will tip the odds in my favor! And watch the wind!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Scud
Banned

Scud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyof1 View Post
you are correct I am not dealing with monster white tail first off and second I am not a trophy hunter ,I hunt to feed my family and give meet to needy familys.Third I am on publick land so I have to shoot what ever deer comes my way . but i do like the advice about hunting big bucks ,when it comes to deer I will take all the advice i can get so I can pass that knowledge on to my 10 year old son
Great! We are going to have two "if its brown its down" mentalities on ks public land now.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

Default nope

no I dont hunt that way . sry if i made it sound that way I make sure it is at leasr 3 to 4 years old .
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road

The question of scent and wind is never ending. Like most, I've had a dip or chew in the majority of my hunting career. Many times, my scouting has been in sweaty work clothes. It didn't bother the deer.
Other times, I swear they could smell my trail to the stand even though I wear rubber boots.
Just ask the farmer about all the deer he see's and how close he can get to them. Again, I swear - maybe I ought to use grease as a cover scent.
For me, movement is what catches most hunters.
(hope I didn't open a can of worms - to each his own said the farmer as
he kissed his cow).
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
jim p

It didn't matter about the scent and the wind yesterday. I got in the stand and the wind was blowing the correct way. Nothing came in and when I got out of my stand to leave I took a look under the White Oak trees to see if there was any deer activity. I found no acorns and no deer activity. So this spot is not going to be a hot spot this year. I was hoping to catch a deer by surprise by not scouting but instead I got caught.

I am thinking that spots that are close to human activity should not require much scent control because the deer will be smelling all kinds of human scents that are coming from passing cars and people.

Maybe today will be a day to get a deer.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
Great! We are going to have two "if its brown its down" mentalities on ks public land now.

It's my tag, I'll shoot what I want.

butt....

If you want to buy my tags next year I'll be sure to ask your permission before I shoot.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p View Post
I am wanting to hunt a spot where I know the wind should not be in my favor. This spot is between two roads with a good bit of traffic. So can I get away with not hunting the wind since there will be all kinds of scents from the two roads drifting into the area.

I will be trying to use the best scent control that I can.
Don't bother unless you are going to get high off the ground.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
Okbowman

Okbowman is on a distinguished road
Default Unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
You don't have to explain anything to jackasses like him, Armyof1. Shoot what you want. Guys like you are the reason we can hunt and have public land to hunt. You've earned it. Don't pay him no mind. Look at his avatar, he thinks he's better than you anyway. Probly just jealous.
Okbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #16
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
Just ask the farmer about all the deer he see's and how close he can get to them. Again, I swear - maybe I ought to use grease as a cover scent.
Along those lines, a "trick" my Father and Uncle used to employ was to take their worn out undershirts and wear them one last time while working out in the yard or on the car, to get them good and nasty sweaty & stinky. They would then put them out around their hunting spots throughout the year. We were also sure to urinate in the area as much as we could (We owned 14 acres of undeveloped forest in VT)

The theory was when hunting season rolled around the resident deer would be accustomed to our natural scent, and not be spooked off by the real thing.
Canít say as it worked or not, but our freezer was never empty.

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

Default !

thanks OKBowman I apreciate it . but I thought that I had better explain my self to those ethical hunters out there ,didnt want them to think i shoot at whatever moves
Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

when I go to one of my stands and the wind is going to be pushing my sent in the direction I expect to see deer coming from I see that as a perfect time to use some pee. Just a small amount on the base of my tree and they never have a clue that I am there. I don't know if it is the pee or if they just don't smell me but they almost never get spooked even when I see them with noses up in the air they just keep coming.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Try this

Hunt on a day like today.

Garantee nothing could smell in this hurricane today. Tree was rocking and rolling

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture716.flv
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #20
jim p

I like hunting in the wind. All the movement and noise helps to cover up my mistakes. I took my hat off yesterday and hung it on a limb beside the treestand then I climb down leaving it in the tree. So it is out there stinking up the woods. Maybe the deer will get used to the scent by the next time I go out.