Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
dronedog

dronedog is on a distinguished road
Default new to compound

i have been shooting a recurve for about 2 years now. last weekend i was at a store and ended up buying a used compound bow. i am left handed and you do not normally see these in a store. let alone used at a fairly cheap price.
so anyway i would like to play with it but it had nothing on it and i need to get it set up. as best i can tell it is a hoyt magnatec xt2000 bow. i am guessing about a 2001 but i really have no idea. the axle length is 38". on the cam it says RL6-L-HL and i believe it is a redline cam.
i am hoping to get some info so i can start to buy all the acc to get it set up. can anyone shed some light on this bow? info on weight, guessing 60-70 lbs, draw (measures at 30 right now), speed?
then i need to know what i can purchase to set it up. again i do not need real fancy stuff. this is a first attempt at a compound. just seeing if i like it better than my recurve.
thanks
dog
dronedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not going to be much help on the bow itself, but accesories maybe. Are you going to shoot it with fingers or a release?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
dronedog

i am guessing i will go full monty... well as far as the bow anyway. i will shoot release.
looking at arrow rests: are the reversible? i shoot left handed or do i need to worry about that? whisker biscuit or drop? not sure what arrows i will shoot yet (i have some aluminum ones that the spine should be pretty close) if i shoot a large arrow now (line cutters), will the same rest work for a carbon ones when i go that way?
Looking at sights: are they reversible? right now i am thinking just target shooting so i don't need a lot of pins. i am too old to remember what they would be set at anyway...
release: since i am coming from recurve, should i look at back tension or just pick one to start?
stablizer: is there a size or weight that works better? what is a good one? my bow is an older one and kind of heavy by today's standards.
peep / kisser / silencers: not sure what to ask. most of this seems simple.

review: i shoot LH. this is a single cam. my guess is i will have it set at about a 29.5 draw length and hope to tune it down to about 55 lb draw if i can.

again this is just a starting point for me. no matter how much i try, i am sure i will end up changing things down the road so it is best not to spend a lot right now. i did throw an arrow on it last night and fired it in the basement. what a difference from the recurve.. wheweee.

thanks
dog
Old 11-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Unless someone removed it, there should be a sticker on the inside of a limb, close to the riser, with the bow specs. Hoyt has a web page with a contact phone number. I've found their technical staff to be of great help with my questions. Your bow should have a serial # to help identify it. Once they help you identify it, you may get a copy of the owners manual. More than likely, you have a model with adjustable draw length cams. I started out my first compound with a Quiktune 1000 prong rest, a basic cobra 5 pin fiber optic sight, a limbsaver stabilizer, and a cheap dozen carbon arrows with 100 grain tips. I think I spent between $100 and $150 on these accessaries. Lots of books and info on the net for tuning tips if you're a do it yourselfer, like me. Have fun, I do.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
dronedog

thanks for the help. i will try hoyt. no serial number that i could find. i did find the sticker but there were only three numbers i could make out on it. one was 70, one was 97 and one was 35. all i got. but i'll try hoyt.
thanks
dog
Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

armyof1 is on a distinguished road

look at the top of your bow where the lim cup is there should be an oval on the top where you can see the serial number sticker that is where mine is on my trykon
armyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I can't help much, but thats a high letoff redline cam. It should have 3 post on it for DL adjustments. Problem is I can't rememmber the increments, perhaps a 1/2 per peg. Xt 2000 limbs are good ones. Not the same lenth as todays 2000's though, closer to today's xt3000 limbs, but no matter. They a quality limbs. Speed, not sure, but probably in the 300 IBO neighborhood and surely fast enough for hunting or targets.
No 100% answere on the L/R rest and sights, some are and some are'nt.
Aluminums are good. If you end up going carbons, small adjustments to make if they are different diameters, cross that bridge when you get there.
Stabilizers, get something 8-12" and call it good.
Release, try a few if possible. I went from fingers to an index finger release because at least I had used a trigger before, but looking at most target archers, they seem to use thumb triggers or BT releases. There must be something to that.
Peep, yes.
Kisser and silencers, optional.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
dronedog

thanks. you all are pretty good about this stuff. i called hoyt today and they say a 2000 model. so that is my next step. i am going to read on that and see from there what questions i may have. i measured the axle length at 38" and the sticker has a 97 on it but hoyt says it should be 37-5/8 with a 96 and 3/4 string length. once i go thru the charts i may have some questions on what the numbers mean. hey i got a start anyway. thanks for all the info and keep it coming. next step is to see if i can find a manual. that might help.

Thanks again
dog
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

if i can helpjust let me know . i 2 am a hoyt shooter
Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

You might be able to download the manual from Hoyt's web sight.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

yes you can get it from the hoyt web site just make sure you have the right year for the bow
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronedog View Post
thanks. you all are pretty good about this stuff. i called hoyt today and they say a 2000 model. so that is my next step. i am going to read on that and see from there what questions i may have. i measured the axle length at 38" and the sticker has a 97 on it but hoyt says it should be 37-5/8 with a 96 and 3/4 string length. once i go thru the charts i may have some questions on what the numbers mean. hey i got a start anyway. thanks for all the info and keep it coming. next step is to see if i can find a manual. that might help.

Thanks again
dog
I would say you got a 38" axel becaus of the longer string length, once you put on a 96 3/4 inch string your axel to axel will probably be around 37 5/8
Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
dronedog

so what it sounds like is Hoyt does not make every bow the same. the girl at hoyt was pretty sure of the model and the year (2000) from the info i gave her with the cam number. but i believe she thought i was crazy when i told her the axle length and the number on the sticker. i did read in one of the manuals or on some form that what they publish is a standard and not all bows are done the same. and who knows maybe the previous owner changed some things after he bought it. Oh well, i am guessing i have this close enough. now i just need to start getting the rest of the parts. ohhhh for those simple glory days of the recurve. haha.
Thanks everyone for all the help. i have gotten a good foundation for at least looking at how i want to start my set up. i may change down the road but i got to start somewhere and you all have been a big help for that. i will probably be back as i run into questions on the set up.
i guess it would also help if i took a picture of the bow. hmm maybe i can do that and figure out how to get it on here.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

drone did you look at the top of the bow where the limb cups are and see if there was a serial number there
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
dronedog

yes nothing there. somewhere i read that the aluminum risers were up there and the mags were on the side but i did not have a number either place.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

i will see what i can do
Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #17
dronedog

hey i think i got a couple of pictures on here. take a look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bow2.jpg (38.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg bow1.jpg (75.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

drone go ahead it is only 7:30 here