Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
TurkeyBranch

TurkeyBranch is on a distinguished road
Default Jelly Arm

Well, I went out today and shot 4 dozen arrows and now my arm feels like jelly
I have not shot a bow for 15 years. I couldn't hold it still to save my life
At any rate I held everything within a paper plate and most in a 6" circle. I have 1 arrow that something is wrong with as it will fly low and left every time. Not just a little, but like 12 to 18 inches. Knock end had a 6" dia. wobble to it in flight. Pulled it out of the lineup,

Some questions
1) Best glue for re-gluing vanes?

2) Is that rubber tube bow exerciser any good for building muscle back up?

3) Is it best to learn to do my own arrows or pay to have it done? I hope to shoot 500 arrows a week at the very least

4) what is a good fletching jig?

5) What other tools are really needed to set up a good shop for working on arrows and light bow work?

I had a horrible accident back in 1996 that broke bones in my back, neck, left shoulder, left elbow, left wrist, right fingers (all 4 fingers), Left knee, etc., all of which have had some type of surgery done since then.

It also messed my memory up real bad. Did not even remember much about archery until about a year ago (after looking at old pictures and video with family) Anyway, giving it a shot again. I will shoot 3 to 4 dozen a day until I can do more.

So, any advice anyone has for being able to do some of my own work and to build my muscles and stamina back up would be great.
TurkeyBranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
TurkeyBranch

Default No one?

No one able to help me with this?
I have fletching coming off my arrows and wanted to get the stuff to fix them, but I wanted your guys advice/opinions first.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

I'll try to help you, sorry to hear about the accident.
For fletching Bitzenburger makes good fletchers, it's probably better to do them yourself honestly. I would get some kind of scales for your arrows that way you can make sure they all weigh the same. Also some kind of tester to check the straightness of your arrows. An arrow saw I would not really worry about right now because once you cut them you shouldn't have to cut them off again. Gold tip makes some good glue...I can't think of much others off the top of my head. I hope that this helps you at all.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

I forgot about rebuilding your muscles back. I think most will agree that the best way to rebuild your muscles is to keep shooting, maybe back off the poundage and work your way back up.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry about building arrows just yet. Goat tuff is a good glue though. Just focus on getting your shooting back. I agree with backing the poundage down and working back up. The best exercise to build your muscles is to shoot. With the injury you had you might not be able to shoot as hight of a draw weight as you used to. I like to give myself about 2 hours at the range. I'll shoot about 100 arrows. As soon as my arm gets tired I'll take a little break. Some days you won't be able to hit the broad side of a barn, so pack up and try another day. If you have a pro shop in the area take your bow in and make sure it is still set up right for you that will make a big differance. Best of luck, and keep shooting
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Lot's of good suggestions. I'll add that I recomend getting some carbon arrows as soon as you can afford them. No more bent arrows. The cheapest carbons are as straight as most aluminums were 15 years ago. A new arrow saw can be had off ebay for about $30, it's cheap Chineese made but I'm happy with mine. I like the Bitzenburger fletching jig. Cuttin my own arrows and installing my own inserts and vanes lets me buy bare arrow shafts and save $. Easton offers a bow square and nock tool kit. I have an old computer desk set up in a spare room with a bow holder mounted on it. Lots of great instructional books and videos are available for bow tuning and set up. I searched the web and printed volumes of free info on bow tuning and arrow building. Eventually, I got a bow press and learned to do all my own bow work. I would recomend waiting untill your sure you wat to be a full fledged "do it yourselfer" before buying a bow press. It wouldnt hurt to get an experienced archer to coach you on form, even if you have to pay for a few lessons. Proper form and draw technique can save injuries. I wish I had, it would have shortened my learning curve. and have fun. Hope to hear more from you.

Last edited by J.Blay; 11-16-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: add
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road

The only advice I have to add to what is above is to think of building back up much like you would weight-lifting. Don't overdo it too much. Back off your poundage a bit and shoot about every other day and not too many arrows. For a practice session I typically look to shoot about 2 hours or 100 arrows while concentrating on some aspect of my form ie bow arm up until the arrow has impacted the target (1 aspect at a time though). If I am shooting a tournament or a league score I don't practice that day. As you build those muscles back up you can increas your frequency and number of arrows.

And definately do what J.Blay said about coaching. It will save you frustration and injuries.

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
TurkeyBranch

Default Thanks

Thanks guys. It is always nice to hear from others.

I think you are right, not do the building of arrows or any major or even semi-major stuff to the bow. I really just want to be able to glue vanes back on, etc. now that you got me thinking about it. The range uses excelsior bales and at 20 yards the arrows sink to the vanes. It is a public range so they are not super tight bales.
I will just concentrate on proper form and building everything back.
I am going back out to shoot tomorrow, may only do another 50, then go again Saturday and do it again. I have all winter to get ready for 3d so time is on my side.
It looks like I have full movement and range when drawing back, I knew I was OK empty handed, but it makes a huge difference under load/stress. So I think I am good there.

I think I might try to find a coach/experienced shooting partner. Even if they can just point out the small stuff and have someone to be out there with.

I will try and post my success's, concerns, drawbacks so I can draw from the 3,000,000 years of experience of this forum.

Ed