Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Sturdyman

Sturdyman is on a distinguished road
Default Question: What is the lightest most forgiving target bow on the market?

Hello All,

Archery can be quite addictive. In my search for my first bow I not by design put together a 3D/Hunting bow to be used in close quarters. I am now in search for a good target bow. I would like to know what is the lightest most forgiving target bow on the market. Now that I am able to shoot what I have I am not in so much of a hurry to make a purchase. I will buy a quality target sight that I can use on my current bow until the next bow purchase can be made. I am within 1.5 hours of Lancaster Archery and will be able to shoot a variety of bows.

I just need a little advice from the experts on this forum. Which target bow is smooth, forgiving and light weight? I have seen Hoyts, Bowtechs, Matthews, and PSE's during the shoots at my club. I have a general idea of what I am looking for. I know I have asked this question before in one way or another. Please endulge an old fool who does not want to waste money on his next purchase. It doesn't grow on trees you know.
Bowmen Accu-Riser I, 53 lbs draw 27 inch draw length, Tru Ball Axcel 3000 sight and Cascade #10 release, Trophy Taker Lizard Tongue rest, Posten Fat Max Stabilization, Easton arrows.
Sturdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Not so much of a bow suggestion but more of a piece of advice, a lightweight bow will probably shoot less accurately for you than a heavier model. The extra weight helps keep the pin steadier on target and keeps the bow more stable.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

Martin Mystic w/ elite limbs and Furious-X Cams
Martin Scepter4 w/ elite limbs and Furious-X Cams

(Both would be even better if you can find one a used w/ Nitrous-X cams ;-)

I have (2) Martin P3's, both have Elite limbs. One has Nitrous-X cams and the other has Furious-X cams. But, if I ever get the opportunity, I'd upgrade my "target" bow to a Scepter4 and my hunting bow to a Mystic.

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Sturdyman

Thank you for the advice Sandsquid I am downloading the Martin Catalog as I type this responce. There happens to be a Pro Series dealer in Hagerstown Maryland. That is about the same distance from Baltimore as Lancaster Archery.

Thank you too Supermag. The reason I would like a light weight bow is because I am not in the best of health after recovering from surgery. I am using archery to help me get back into shape. I will attempt to address the stability issue with the application of stablizers and other accessories.

Thanks to the both of you, at least I have options other than the big four (Bowteck, Matthews, Hoyt, and PSE). Currently I am shooting a Bowtech Tomkat which weighs 3.8lbs before accessories.

This forum is a great resource. Please keep the info comming. Thank you everyone.
Bowmen Accu-Riser I, 53 lbs draw 27 inch draw length, Tru Ball Axcel 3000 sight and Cascade #10 release, Trophy Taker Lizard Tongue rest, Posten Fat Max Stabilization, Easton arrows.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road

What do you consider light?

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Sturdyman

4.25lbs and under. Idealy 4.0lbs and under.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road

Elite XLR - 4.25
Mathews Hyperlight - 3.45
Mathews Z7 - 3.97 (Shot this last week and loved it, very smooth, Man I need more money for a new hunting bow...)
Hoyt Alphamax 32 - 3.9
Hoyt Alphamax 35 - 4.1
I am sure that one or more of the Bowtech bows meets the 4.25 lbs requirements, but they don't have the weight of their bows on their website.

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

The Athens is that light also. They are great shooting bows. The 32" is 3.95 lbs.
Check out their web for details.

http://www.athensarchery.com/bows.html
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #9
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Check out the Elite bows

Elite XLR is a great feeling bow. Been showing it can shoot some excellant scores. Go shoot one and let the guys from Lancasters tell you all about them.

Good Luck and find the bow that feels best to you! That where accuracy comes into play.
DB
Old 11-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Sturdyman

I actually looked at the Elite XLR on the web site last night. I would have to get the version with the Cuda cams because of mt 27 inch draw length. The
xlr is definatly on my short list as well as Mathews' Drenelin LD and Athen's Accomplish 34.

Just looking at as many bows as I can. Thanks for the suggestions and please keep the information comming.