Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
BERKUTMAX

BERKUTMAX is on a distinguished road
Default minimum weight of hunting arrow

easton lightspeed 400,cut on 27,36" , 80grain point,unibushing, G nock,X2vanes and 4" wraps; total weight is 320 grains, bow on 63pounds,that is my 3Dsetup.
Same arrows with inserts, 100grain G5 STRIKER. QS ST 2" will be 365-370.
is that to light for hunting arrow,and is 400 spine problem to put my Drenalin on 70" yust when hunting.Oll this is on paper yet because I still waiting on Lancaster
BERKUTMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

That should be a good weight. In my physics class we learned that
KE (Kinetic Energy)=.5MV^2. Half of the mass times velocity squared. You have to find the perfect balance between mass and speed. To light an arrow though fast will not have much Kinetic Energy, to heavy will not have much speed and once at a certain point will start losing KE. 370 should be just fine don't worry about it.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
BERKUTMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
That should be a good weight. In my physics class we learned that
KE (Kinetic Energy)=.5MV^2. Half of the mass times velocity squared. You have to find the perfect balance between mass and speed. To light an arrow though fast will not have much Kinetic Energy, to heavy will not have much speed and once at a certain point will start losing KE. 370 should be just fine don't worry about it.
ANFORTUNATLY I CANT EXPERIMENT A LOOT($ ),BUT ON PENETRATION IN TARGET I SEE THAT ON 20 -30m IT WILL MAKE PASS THRU JUST LIKE THAT.
I SELL MY OLD BOW PSE NOVA AND WITH HIM SIGHT AND STAB... FROM DRENALIN, NOW I CANT SHOOT UNTIL BUY NEW ONE.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERKUTMAX View Post
ANFORTUNATLY I CANT EXPERIMENT A LOOT($ ),BUT ON PENETRATION IN TARGET I SEE THAT ON 20 -30m IT WILL MAKE PASS THRU JUST LIKE THAT.
I SELL MY OLD BOW PSE NOVA AND WITH HIM SIGHT AND STAB... FROM DRENALIN, NOW I CANT SHOOT UNTIL BUY NEW ONE.
That stinks, but like I said your weight should be fine. Hope you get back to shooting pretty quick.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

5 grains per pound of draw weight is what's recomended as a minimum to be safe. I shoot nearly the lightest arrow I can for my draw weight. I bowhunt at 63# and use a 325 grain hunting arrow cronographed at 297 fps. I almost always get complete pass throughs on whitetails. Shot placement is the most important part of the penetration equation, and the kinetic energy and momentum calculations leave this out. Practicing in the same conditions I hunt in, while wearing the same clothing I'm going to hunt in, are the most important things I do to insure good shot placement. Secondary to this I value arrow speed because it gives the deer less time to move after the arrow is released. I hunt from a tree stand, so I practice from one I leave set up in my back yard year around. I practice in the wind, snow, rain and sub zero temps because I hunt in these conditions. It's especially important to practice with head wear and gloves I may use while hunting, as they can affect shot placement due to changing the anchor point. With todays high tec bows I don't believe KE is even an issue worth concerning myself with untill I decide to hunt large, thick skinned game like moose or elk. Have fun and good luck.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
BERKUTMAX

Default follow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
5 grains per pound of draw weight is what's recomended as a minimum to be safe. I shoot nearly the lightest arrow I can for my draw weight. I bowhunt at 63# and use a 325 grain hunting arrow cronographed at 297 fps. I almost always get complete pass throughs on whitetails. Shot placement is the most important part of the penetration equation, and the kinetic energy and momentum calculations leave this out. Practicing in the same conditions I hunt in, while wearing the same clothing I'm going to hunt in, are the most important things I do to insure good shot placement. Secondary to this I value arrow speed because it gives the deer less time to move after the arrow is released. I hunt from a tree stand, so I practice from one I leave set up in my back yard year around. I practice in the wind, snow, rain and sub zero temps because I hunt in these conditions. It's especially important to practice with head wear and gloves I may use while hunting, as they can affect shot placement due to changing the anchor point. With todays high tec bows I don't believe KE is even an issue worth concerning myself with untill I decide to hunt large, thick skinned game like moose or elk. Have fun and good luck.
FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS
It is deep within each of us.The desire to be one with nature on a most primat lewel
To be out in the woods using not just our intelect, but our instincts.
And no weapon more naturall fits the experience than a compaund.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
roosevelt

roosevelt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
i agree with this whole post, i think proper shot placement is key, and a faster arrow will help you with that, they won't jump the string as much and using your 30yd pin for a 36 yd shot does not mean poor shot placement. even with elk, i think i may switch next year to a 75 grain head, some times i don't get a chance to range one, so the flatter trajectory, the better....imo
flingin' gold tip xt hunters
muzzy 100gr 3 blade
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
porubre09

porubre09 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to porubre09
Default minimum weight of hunting arrow

Anybody have any idea on arrow speeds for the Genesis Pro or any other data relating to velocity, momentum, etc with various arrow weights?
porubre09 is offline   Reply With Quote