Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Jason Moore

Jason Moore is on a distinguished road
Default Best bow for 3d and hunting

I'm going to get me a new bow with in the next couple weeks. Mostly I want it for hunting but also for 3d. I have found a local club that I would love to join when they get started in Feb. Right now I'm looking at a Mathews Z7 or the Reezin but deff like the feel of the z7 better and it's only 50 more dollars. What is yalls take on these bows as a multi purpose bow leaning more torwards the hunting aspect. Which do you feel is the best of both worlds. Also open to other suggestions. I don't have to have the fastest bow on the market but would like to keep it over 300fps fully rigged. And would be shooting a proper arrow for the bow. The bow shop should be able to help with that and I like to lean torwards 100gr target and broadheads.

The last bow I purchased was a pse carrol marauder. It was ok but pretty much out of date so to speak when I bought it. Plus I've never shot 3d. I just want to get more into that sort of thing. Plus it makes tagging a deer weather it be a doe or especially a trophy buck all the more special. I've only taken a couple in the past and haven't hunted at all in the past 2 years until this year. Which has left me wanting a new bow something terrible.

So you see I'm wanting to step up from the old into the new and there are so many changes that have came along sense I bought my archery equipment 5 or so years ago. Also would like advice on the wisker bisket or drop away which one and why right now I'm leaning torwards the drop away. As well as what sight do yall like and why. Thanks from a newb.
Jason Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
APAshooter92
choose your venom

APAshooter92 is on a distinguished road

Im shooting 284fps with a 408 grain arrow. at 60lbs and 30" DL. I use it for both and I think its perfect
This is the APA BOA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4245.JPG (59.8 KB, 471 views)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Can't tell you much about Mathews except that I liked every one I tried, but I've never owned one. However, I prefer Hoyt. My Vectrix shoots 297 fps with a 325 grain Victory Vforce Hv 350 arrow. I shoot at 63 # and a 29 1/2" draw. I consistantly get pass throughs on whitetails. I shoot 3D for pleasure and to hone my ranging skills. If you have a short draw length it may be tough to get the 300 fps your after unless you get a speed bow like the Monster. I like the Limbdriver drop away rest. I put sticky felt on the launcher blade to quiet the arrow draw for hunting. I wont use a WB rest because it makes noise as the arrow is drawn and this affects my hunting confidence. I suggest getting the bow that fits you best with the least vibration and noise. With all the awesom bows out there today it matters very little what brand it is or even how fast it flings an arrow. If you want to try out a great bow for around $500 check out the Hoyt Turbo Hawk. Have fun, I do.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Jason Moore

Thanks guys. I went back and looked again yesterday. It's not only a bow shop it's basically a pawn shop that went full blown sporting goods. I'm pretty much set on the z7. They have mostly mathews with only a couple other bows. I talked with the owner the other day. I work in a retail business in the same town so we know each other some what. I will have my truck paid off this month and told him after that I was going to get a new bow. He told me get what I want 6 months same as cash no interest. So I'm going back next tuesday so I will be ready for the end archery season here in Louisiana in January. The z7 says up to 332 fps naked so I don't know what that translates to fully rigged out. With a bow like this what arrows do yall recomend. I shoot a 29 in draw length and like the 100 grain practice and broadheads. What fletchins and all.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
J.Blay

If I want to shoot about a 400 grain arrow I like the Carbon Express 6075Terminator Lt. Selects. For about a 370 grain arrow I like Carbon Express Maximas 350. I'm currently shooting the lighter Victory Vforce HV350 Arrows that come in around 325 grains. The Carbon Express are more durable. All the weights listed were at 28" to 29" with pin nocks, 100 grain tips and Fusion vanes. Lots of other great products out there.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Jason Moore

How do the weights of the arrows translate with the accuracy and penetration. But at the same time still keep the proper speed to fly straighter instead of one of the arching arrow shots. I know at further distances your going to have that any way. There is so much I still have to learn obviously. Like I see people talking about there indoor arrows versus outdoor arrow setup. When shooting different arrows like this wouldn't this throw off your accuracy. Meaning having to move the pins and such or no? I know I'm getting the cart ahead of the horse here but just somthing that was on my mind.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Before you make your final decision, go try the Hoyt Alphamax 35. It IBO's 320 and shoots like a longer ATA. Its accurate, fast and quiet. You can 3D and hunt with this bow. You wont find a better combo bow.
Good luck,
Jame
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

The bow that works best for you will be different from the one that works best for me. I would highly recommend shooting as many as you can. There are alot of good bows out there that would pull double duty great.
I would recommend something 32-37 inch axel to axel with over a 7 inch brace height, since you are leaning mainly towards hunting.
Alpine: Yukon, Ventura, Nitrous N2O
Yukon, and Ventura are both 36 to 36.5 inch axel to axel depending on the cam, 7.25 to 7.375 depending on cam
Nitrous N2O is 33.25, with a 7.25 brace height.
Also Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Bowtech and many others make good bows in the spec range I mentioned, but I will always deal with Alpine, the people are great to deal with, and their products are second to none, they are the most underrated bows out there. Hope this helps you.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Jason Moore

I am going over there next Tuesday to do some final checking. These guys are all really nice and helpfull but they are limited in there selection. They have mostly mathews with some brownings as far as new goes, they do have a few used bows which I am not totally against the idea but for the most part would prefer a new one. When I was looking at buying a new bow before I had mostly looked at the mathews then. I don't know for some reason they appeal to me more. But like I said may be due to the lack there of in having other bows at my disposal. I am wanting to do some late season archery hunting which I could do with my old pse and take more time to select my new bow. When I have the money in hand instead of doing the six months same as cash. But I really have the bug now lol. Plus honostly I think I will be happy making a choice from his selection. I'm still going back to look at and shoot every bow that they will let me and go from there next tuesday. And with any luck will be getting ready for late season archery this Jan with my new bow.Then I will start learning more about the rest of the archery world. And go on to some tournements at the local bow clubs. Well within 50 miles any way. Who knows maybe me and some of the local guys around here can start our on local club and compete with them. I will deff keep yall informed.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Jason Moore

First of all I would like to say wow. I whatched a few youtube videos. And I never new that the weight of an arrow affected the speed of a bow so much. It went from 279 fps with a 410 grain to 311 pfs with a 327 grain arrow. Now my question is how much energy is lost between the 2 and what is the balance where speed and weight of an arrow are balanced for optimal pass through as well as keeping some speed and still have the best accuracy. I think I asked the question right. I know hunting and 3d will vary on arrow weight. So I guess I'm gona have to get two dozen or so diff weights one for hunting and practice hunting arrows and the other for 3d and the other
Old 12-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

Weight makes a huge difference. If they have some brownings see if they have a Browning Grand Illusion it would make a great bow for what you are looking for. It's good to support your local shop and help them grow. For a 60 pound bow your ibo arrow weight would be 300, for hunting I would shoot something around 350 the heavier your arrow the quieter your bow will shoot as well. Also with a heavier arrow the less wind will affect it. If you are going to be shooting ASA they have a speed limit of 280 fps, so you may need to take that into consideration as well. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Jason Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Weight makes a huge difference. If they have some brownings see if they have a Browning Grand Illusion it would make a great bow for what you are looking for. It's good to support your local shop and help them grow. For a 60 pound bow your ibo arrow weight would be 300, for hunting I would shoot something around 350 the heavier your arrow the quieter your bow will shoot as well. Also with a heavier arrow the less wind will affect it. If you are going to be shooting ASA they have a speed limit of 280 fps, so you may need to take that into consideration as well. Hope this helps.
He was shooting the z7 at 65lb pull. I forgot to tell that. I don't know if the local club I have been reading about is asa it has several different divisions though. I will do more checking. I will more than likely just enter the hunters division for now. But who knows. They do have a couple target bows up there that are used.I might look at them later or some others that they have later on if I get more into shooting. I have been talking to several local archery hunters they all seem to want to get together and start shooting so maybe we have our on club in the making. As for the arrow right now from what I can tell like you said around a 350 grain.

Last edited by Jason Moore; 12-01-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
J.Blay

FYI. I've hunted with 410 to 320 grain arrows shot from a 60# Hoyt Vectrix. I've never shot at a deer beyond 25 yards or so. I get consistent pass throughs with either arrow weight. Shot placement is far more important than arrow weight. Practicing in the same conditions I plan to hunt is the most important part of making good shot placement. This means practicing elevated if I plan to treestand hunt. Also, I need to change my sight if I plan to use gloves because they can change my anchor point. I also shoot in bulky clothing and in the rain, snow and wind while in my backyard treestand. Until I get out to 60 yards or so I wouldn't worry about arrow weight for the penetration. I prefer the lighter arrow because it leaves the deer less time to move after the release.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
Jason Moore

Yeah Jay I here ya. That was one of the worst things I did when I first started bow hunting. I hunted a lean up deer stand that I built and had a 6 point come in at about 15 yards and I had planned on standing up in this stand but in this situation I couldn't. I hit the deer but made a bad shot. I hit the deer right in the shoulder. Probably because of not practicing setting down. Or coulda been because this was my first deer ever with a bow. I found the deer a month later tracking a doe I had shot. Thats one of the things I plan on doing this year shoot from every angle and situation possible. I've got 20 ft metal shelving I got from when I worked at lows I'm gona make a shooting tower for most of my elevated angle shots. I don't plan on getting much higher than that any how. Some but not much.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
ageguy

ageguy is on a distinguished road

The matthews are good bows but shop around and shoot various bows. I was going to buy a reezen then i happened to shoot a HCA Iron Mace. Now I own an HCA, but it is going to come down to your personnal preference.
ageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
Jason Moore

Well today I bought a used high country max force bowfor $150.00 from one of my friends. He came to me told me his wife bought it for him a while back and they've been divorced for a while but they got in a huge fight and he said he didn't want anything she ever had to do with. So I got the bow 12 55/70 north american carbon arrows 6 of which haven't even been shot a release some 100 grain satellite broadheads 4 of them brand new, it has a quiver and a site that I'm not crazy about. One of the ones where the pen moves in elevated positions, and a whisker bisket arrow rest. Just wandering if yall think I got a decent deal on the bow. It will do for a back up Is what I was thinking.
I'm still going to get the new bow in the morning. Gona skip hunting in the morning so I can be there when they open so I can have the store and sales staff to my self lol. I'll keep yall updated.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 AM   #17
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default $150.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Moore View Post
Well today I bought a used high country max force bowfor $150.00 from one of my friends. He came to me told me his wife bought it for him a while back and they've been divorced for a while but they got in a huge fight and he said he didn't want anything she ever had to do with. So I got the bow 12 55/70 north american carbon arrows 6 of which haven't even been shot a release some 100 grain satellite broadheads 4 of them brand new, it has a quiver and a site that I'm not crazy about. One of the ones where the pen moves in elevated positions, and a whisker bisket arrow rest. Just wandering if yall think I got a decent deal on the bow. It will do for a back up Is what I was thinking.
I'm still going to get the new bow in the morning. Gona skip hunting in the morning so I can be there when they open so I can have the store and sales staff to my self lol. I'll keep yall updated.

If it feels good and you shoot it well. Cant go wrong for that price.
Good Luck on your new bow purchase.
DB
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #18
Jason Moore

Well the bow tech wasn't there saturday. He was duck hunting. Plus I talked more with them about the 6 months same as cash. Turns out it's a lay away plan they were talking about. So I called the bank this morning, because now I've got it in my head I want a new bow and told them I wanted a 6month term loan. Gotta go up there some time today and pick that up. Then in the mornging I'm off so I will go back and talk with there bow guy. I'm planning on shooting it some more and try with various arrows to see which one performs the best with the bow I pick. I'm still leaning heavily torward the Z7 but gona look and see for sure.

On another note if I could load my cell pictures I would show the group I'm getting with the high country bow I bought. At 20 yards and after getting a new true glo micro sight. I shot 3 arrows and the fletching on all 3 were touching. Almost busted the knock on the last shot. So I am more than pleased with it. But am deff gona have to get an arm gaurd seems like every 3rd shot I hit my arm. I know the draw is about 1/2 to 1in to long. But i'm gona leave it like it is. Next year when I replace the string I'll worry about that.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
Jason Moore

Well I finaly got my bow. I havn't gotten it tuned in exact yet. But not to bad gona go back Saturday when the bow tech is there. He was at the mathews factory for somthing. Had to get it done by some people that didn't know a whole lot. But we seemed to get it pretty close. I know this is bar none the quitest bow I've ever shot. Or been around. I love it!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
Jason Moore

Well I called another Mathews dealer today that I didn't even know was in my area. Turns out he is a shooter for Mathews and has won 8 championships and some cabelas shoots. So I'm heading over there Saturday after work to get it tuned in. Appearently he has had to work on several of the bows that have come from the dealer I bought from. I was showing it to a friend of mine at work ( I manage a hardware/feed store) and one of my customers came in and told me they rigged out a mathews monster for him where I bought my bow and he couldn't get it right. So he took it to this guy and he told him for one your sight mount is on wrong the peep was set wrong for him and his knock was set to high I think. He said it was rediculous. He said when He got it back he couldn't believe how good it shot. So he said I could come over and we would get it figured out. I built me a paper tuning dill today I think is pretty cool. I got another bow I'm needing restrung and gona buy a new rest and some arrows for. And I noticed my high country will need a new string on it later. So I'm gona get to were I can service my bows myself.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #21
Jason Moore

Well I carried my bow to the guy. After I found out his name Colin Boothe, I did some research and turns out he's quite the who's who in the archery world. He is one of the four man team of mathews. He offered alot of help and is part of a club in sicily island. And invited me to come shoot with them. I'm pretty stoked to have access to this sort of expertice. Can't weight started.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #22
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default One of the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Moore View Post
Well I carried my bow to the guy. After I found out his name Colin Boothe, I did some research and turns out he's quite the who's who in the archery world. He is one of the four man team of mathews. He offered alot of help and is part of a club in sicily island. And invited me to come shoot with them. I'm pretty stoked to have access to this sort of expertice. Can't weight started.
Colin is one heck of shooter and nice guy. You did very good getting him to help you. You did good.
DB
Old 12-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #23
Jason Moore

Thanks DB I was extremely happy with my service as a bow tech. He didn't try and push nothing on me. He said symply you have to find what fits you. For now I went with blood runner broadheads. I'm gona try some more when I get some more arrows. Prob the 100 gr slick tricks like you suggested. And then prob the G5 expandables or maybe the swacker. He has a picture of a deer that had been shot with one and it had a massive exit hole. But I decided until I am comfortable shooting deer. I'm gona keep smaller diameter blades in case I make a bad shoulder shot. So I will get better pass through. I'm also gona try the 75 95's next I got 6 of the 55 75s for now gona get every thing dialed in completely with the broadheads and take a trip to the woods with the ol stick and string.
One more point he said he was extremely impressed with the Z7 and I couldn't have made a better choice. He is rigging one out for him to finish the rest of the season on.
I'm just really excited not only for the hunting but the upcoming shoots.
He said every club member gets a key to the range the targets stay out at all time. So I can go shoot any time I want. I only cost 1 dollar per day of shooting and I'm guessing club fees and they usually get together on tuesdays to tune and mess around grill and what have you and once a month on weekends to have a club shoot.