Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
tarleet

tarleet is on a distinguished road
Default Scope Questions! Help

Hi, I am new to target shooting and getting ready to buy a new target bow setup. I have everything picked out but the scope.

Sight will be a Sure-Loc Supreme 550 with 9" Extension.
Don't know what league I will be shooting.
Don't know what kind of target I will be shooting.
I like to start with the basics and then go from there.
Plan to shoot all kinds of distance up to at least 100 yards.

Can some long time target shoots help answer some questions?

1. What power lens would be idea for starters? I heard that 4x is a good starting place for both indoor and outdoor...

2. To go with a single pin or drilled? What the advantages from drilled to pins?
tarleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
whitetail101

whitetail101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to whitetail101

1. Lens Power. The power lens you will use is going to be determined by you and only you. For some 4x without a clarifier lens in the peep is fine(I myself fall into this one), while others have to install a clarifier peep in order to see the target clearly. Go to a pro shop that carries target archery supplies and try a few out to see what works best for you.

2. Single Pin vs Drilled. Here again it is a personal preference. I myself like the drilled pin as I get a full view of the spot I need to hit, the pin types usually block out some of the target, escpecially at the longer distances.

Unless you plan on shooting field archery tournaments, most of your competition shooting(IBO or ASA) will be at 50 yds max and utilize 3D animal targets. Spot shoots(600 rounds) are usually shot from 20 yds at 3 face paper targets.

good luck on your enderavor.
whitetail101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
tarleet

tarleet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail101 View Post
1. Lens Power. The power lens you will use is going to be determined by you and only you. For some 4x without a clarifier lens in the peep is fine(I myself fall into this one), while others have to install a clarifier peep in order to see the target clearly. Go to a pro shop that carries target archery supplies and try a few out to see what works best for you.

2. Single Pin vs Drilled. Here again it is a personal preference. I myself like the drilled pin as I get a full view of the spot I need to hit, the pin types usually block out some of the target, escpecially at the longer distances.

Unless you plan on shooting field archery tournaments, most of your competition shooting(IBO or ASA) will be at 50 yds max and utilize 3D animal targets. Spot shoots(600 rounds) are usually shot from 20 yds at 3 face paper targets.

good luck on your enderavor.

Thanks, I will do some playing around. As for target shops, there are none in northern california. I've been to most of them and all they carry is hunting bows and hunting stuff. i've asked about target but there just isnt a call for target in my area.

~2010~Hoyt Contender Elite~Pearl White~Spot Hogg Rest~Sure-Loc Sight~B-Stinger Stabilizer~
tarleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
whitetail101

whitetail101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to whitetail101

90% of your archery pro shops concentrate on the hunting side of archery.

of all the archers in the united states only approx 10% are target archers, hence the reason most pro shops don't cater to that market.

If you have any national archery shoots in your area(been awhile since I lived in CA), I would suggest going to one as you will find vendors here that cater to the target archer.

Another place to look is online - drawback here is you would have to purchase different pieces then return them if they didn't work for you. Give www.lancasterarchery.com and check it out.

good luck
whitetail101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Scope and lens

Go with a 3X lens. Good start.

Go with up pin and then if you shoot indoors you can place a black dot on it.

But some find shooting a up pin with a fibor good for many things

DB