Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road
Default Question for Javi - String angle

Javi,

You mentioned string angle in the target bow thread.

Have you found a string angle that seems to work the best? Is there a ratio of draw length and ATA that gives the best angle?

Does body type seem to effect it?

Thanks,
Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

A minimum of 44 degrees off of vertical seems to work for most people. I actually prefer a longer angle but that is difficult to find today.

Many factors come into play when choosing a string angle that fits you the best, primarily though is the use of facial reference points such as the tip of the nose and the corner of the mouth and those will vary from individual to individual. The structure of your face will affect the angle necessary to achieve these points as well as the length of your neck and shoulder position.

Many of today's archers try to use these reference points with varied success because of the compromises they make to reach these traditional references. In most cases they end up shooting too long of a draw, too high of an anchor, raising their shoulders, ducking their head into the string and many other form breaks in the effort to reach the string with their nose.

Axle to axle length, cam/idler diameter, brace height, limb tip geometry and deflection plus draw length all affect the effective string angle and thus the fit of the bow to an individual. But don't neglect the body build either, just because someone prefers one string angle to another doesn't mean it is the best for you.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Allen

Thank you!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Good explanation, Mike.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

This is a very complex subject with many variables, if anyone would like me to elaborate further I will see if I can put thought to paper.. Let me know..
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
big okie

big okie is on a distinguished road

I for one would be interested in more on this subject.

John
big okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
This is a very complex subject with many variables, if anyone would like me to elaborate further I will see if I can put thought to paper.. Let me know..
Absolutely YES!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested to see that.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Hoyt1945

Hoyt1945 is on a distinguished road

The peep position makes a lot of difference in the way I shoot. A lot of it I don't understand, I get there by trail and error. If I have my peep in a low position it feels very comfortable and when I come to full draw my peep is in a perfect postion for my eye. When it is in this postion I don't shoot as well and I do when the peep is a little higher and my head is up.----A couple weeks ago I changed strings and cables and and realized my axle to axle was a long, after shortening my axle to axle I guess it changed my peep angle and that screwed me up for awhile.---- Javi should publish a book on what he knows. Mike has more useful information than Larry Wise and he has a book that sold very well and it contained a lot of BS.---If Mike publishes an Archers Manual, I would like to be an investor.
Hoyt1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
JAVI

Y'all bear with me on this, I don't want to just throw together something.. so it will take me a few evenings..
Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
JAVI

I’ve spent the last few days debating with myself about how to best present this information and just can’t pin it down, so I’m going to ask a series of leading questions…..

Here is the first.

When you aim at a target which is at shoulder level; is your head centered directly over the core of your body and is your arrow parallel to your shoulders?

To answer this question, have someone take a series of full body photos of you as you shoot at a shoulder level target. Be sure to stand on a level surface while doing this.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
JAVI

Here is a link to a discussion you might find interesting.. or not..

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery...3/form-152393/