Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
bowhunterkdc

bowhunterkdc is on a distinguished road
Default Destroyers

Has anyone heard the lead time from Bowtech for the new Destroyers?
bowhunterkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

4 to 6 weeks on new orders
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
Idk it is sure getting old trying to contact them.I love there bows and there Customer Service but you cant ever get a hold of jeff
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a couple in stock but they will not last long.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
hstubblefield

Quote:
That will turn into 3-4 months
Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
asa1485

asa1485 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone here heard of the Flex Gard breaking? I know of a couple on AT. But any here?
asa1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa1485 View Post
Has anyone here heard of the Flex Gard breaking? I know of a couple on AT. But any here?
Just found out I dont know if I want 1 know lol
Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting

Quote:
I stay with the old school cable gaurd slides. To rich for my blood at $950.00
DB
Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
I stay with the old school cable gaurd slides. To rich for my blood at $950.00
DB
Yeah kinda step price
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

A few bows out of perhaps a thousand had an issue from what I read. That would'nt stop me if I liked it.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
MickeyBee

MickeyBee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterkdc View Post
Has anyone heard the lead time from Bowtech for the new Destroyers?
I was told 3 - 4 weeks. Been over 5 so far for me.
MickeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
bowhunterkdc

bowhunterkdc is on a distinguished road
Default Destroyer

I know that the Destroyer is worth the wait but I just can't wait to get mine and turn it loss at the ASA Pro Ams.
bowhunterkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
MeanV2

MeanV2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Matt explained what happened. He will post videos today on AT check them out. They will be very informative.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
MeanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Until I see it first hand, I believe it was a torque issue. Not a broken FLX guard issue. I think the FLX guard broke because of the derail. If you over-torque any of the top speed bows on letdown, the string will derail. it will happen on the Monster, Omen etc.

I love the lynch mob mentality over there. If this had been a dry fire nobody would have said anything about a broken cam, broken limb, broken string or broken FLX guard. To me, a dry fire or a derailing has the same consequences. Something is going to break or get damaged.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
MeanV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Until I see it first hand, I believe it was a torque issue. Not a broken FLX guard issue. I think the FLX guard broke because of the derail. If you over-torque any of the top speed bows on letdown, the string will derail. it will happen on the Monster, Omen etc.

I love the lynch mob mentality over there. If this had been a dry fire nobody would have said anything about a broken cam, broken limb, broken string or broken FLX guard. To me, a dry fire or a derailing has the same consequences. Something is going to break or get damaged.
Chris, You are exactly right. I know all the years I've spent in a shop I have seen this exact thing happen many times with several brands of bows. The Brand really has nothing to do with it.

Everyone be sure and check out the Videos today. I'll post a link once they are up.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
asa1485

asa1485 is on a distinguished road

Would like to see the videos.

The ones I have heard or read about happened upon the release of the arrow. Not during let down.
asa1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
MeanV2

Quote:
Would like to see the videos.

The ones I have heard or read about happened upon the release of the arrow. Not during let down.
I think the key phrase up there is highlighted in Red. I've seen many such accidents including a Monster. Most of the time the guy with the bow in his hands is Not sure what happened, but usually thinks this or thinks that. So unless you were intently watching the bystander might be guessing as well. I have been in both situations.

I will post a link to the vids as soon as I know they are up.

As stated Many times by Matt and others the FLX guard breaking is a result of the Bow derailing not the opposite.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
upnorth

on the flex guard what im finding is when i checked the new bows i have on 1/2 of them the bolt that holds it was loose . its supose to be tight . i think what happens is if its shot loose its like a sawing action from the threads on the bolt and eventually will cut and pull through and break .twisting could roll the string off but i doubt if it would break the guard if the string came out .just a guess not going to test it .
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
I think the key phrase up there is highlighted in Red. .....

As stated Many times by Matt and others the FLX guard breaking is a result of the Bow derailing not the opposite.

Dan
shhhhhure it is.....
Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
MeanV2

Quote:
on the flex guard what im finding is when i checked the new bows i have on 1/2 of them the bolt that holds it was loose . its supose to be tight . i think what happens is if its shot loose its like a sawing action from the threads on the bolt and eventually will cut and pull through and break .twisting could roll the string off but i doubt if it would break the guard if the string came out .just a guess not going to test it .
The Flx Guard is Not designed to be tight. It is adjusted from the factory.

Do Not Tighten down completely

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
upnorth

the last bows i received came in half tight and half about two turns out . when i called my rep at bowtech to check he said they should be tight . i know him never met you so until im told otherwise il go with tight .just checked two new admirals both tight from factory .unless something changed from this last monday . il call again monday to see if they changed .
Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
MeanV2

Quote:
the last bows i received came in half tight and half about two turns out . when i called my rep at bowtech to check he said they should be tight . i know him never met you so until im told otherwise il go with tight .just checked two new admirals both tight from factory .unless something changed from this last monday . il call again monday to see if they changed .
You better double check that because the Corporate Staff email chain I am in has had quite a bit of discussion on this and the word we have is they are not be tight.

You can actually loosen them in some cases to where you just have enough clearance for your setup, and at the same time lessen the torque even more. They are set to clear a 26 series shaft with Blazers which is more than needed on most setups. If in doubt leave them alone.

There is No possible way that a FLX guard even if it were to break on it's own would cause a derail. Simple common sense will tell you that. The videos hopefully will be posted soon. I know they are made but they had to be compacted, uploaded, ect.

Seriously, Do Not tighten the FLX Guard down. Read Matt/PA's post on AT. I'm sure he knows what is going on. He is at the factory and have discussed this at length with everyone involved in the design.

Here is a Quote/Post from Matt/PA:
The FLX guard is in effect adjustable......it's basically a tiny bow limb. When the bow is assembled at the factory the FLX guard assembly is checked against an alignment gauge to make sure the cable clearance is adequate and the same from bow to bow.

Due to very small differences in the defelctions of the guards each one might be turned in or out slightly different from the next bow being built. One might be 2.5 turns out the next maybe 3? In reality that's a very minor adjustment but it does allow the end user the flexibility (no pun intended ) of adjusting their FLX guard slightly based upon how much clearance they need.

If you look at it with some common sense, As you tighten the bolt it will pull the cables away more, if you loosen it will allow the rollers to move more to the center.......

You don't want to tighten it down all the way possibly crushing the butt end of the FLX GUard so I would discourage adding turns to the bolt from the factory as it should have all the clearance you would ever need.......turning the bolt out slightly if you need a little less clearance won't hurt a thing.

They are set at the factory to provide enough cable clearance for a 2613 with Blazers **** vane out + 1/8" ....That's a lot of clearance.
If you need a little less and think you could benefit from a little less tension and pull on the cables you could reduce that clearance a bit if you like.
Again don't tighten it down all the way.....you could damage the end if you over tighten.

Also just an FYI for those who think the FLX guard is fragile, it's a double layer of fiberglass surrounding a center layer of Kevlar scrim. It's in reality a VERY tough little item.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #23
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Dan, it doesn't matter the font color, we know bs when we see it.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
jdawg240
BOWNUTS

jdawg240 is on a distinguished road

I want to shoot the destoyer but the only shop left around me that still handles Bowtech is a HUGE Hoyt dealer and he wont order one "until the bugs are worked out" his words not mine. Im kinda bummed I wanted to shoot one. Doesnt look like I will now for some time.

For the record most shops around here dropped Bowtech to handle Elite becasue they are made local now in Michigan. And they all picked up the Quest line (built in the same building). Bowtech kinda was the odd man out in the deal.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #25
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
I want to shoot the destoyer but the only shop left around me that still handles Bowtech is a HUGE Hoyt dealer and he wont order one "until the bugs are worked out" his words not mine. ....

For the record most shops around here dropped Bowtech to handle Elite .....
makes sense to me. And Elite makes a great bow to boot.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #26
upnorth

they didnt send me anything . il talk to them monday .not saying your not right but thats not what they told me and i just ordered 8 350s.all i can do is repeat what i was told .the 5 i have now came in with the bolt snugged down .3 destroyers and 2 admirals.

Last edited by upnorth; 01-23-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #27
MeanV2

Quote:
they didnt send me anything . il talk to them monday .not saying your not right but thats not what they told me and i just ordered 8 350s.all i can do is repeat what i was told .the 5 i have now came in with the bolt snugged down .3 destroyers and 2 admirals.
Let me know who you talk to and what they tell you.

Thanks!
Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
upnorth

thats the problem with some of the manufacturers we can find out more on what going on on the forums than they want to tell us . i would think that if something like this comes up they would just email it to us rather than have to have us hear it from from one on the net .i would think the way your saying is probably right .
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #29
MeanV2

Quote:
thats the problem with some of the manufacturers we can find out more on what going on on the forums than they want to tell us . i would think that if something like this comes up they would just email it to us rather than have to have us hear it from from one on the net .i would think the way your saying is probably right .
upnorth, That's the info I was given to give people and to make sure people knew Not to tighten them all the way down as that is Not the way they were designed. I know the normal inclination is to make sure everything is tight on a bow. I would think they would have sent the dealers a Notice on the FLX guard early on since it is New technology this year. Just for their information. I'm sorry they didn't in your case.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #30
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
upnorth, That's the info I was given to give people .....
Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #31
MeanV2

As far as the Videos are concerned I will let everyone know where to find them once they are posted.

I think you will find them very informative.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #32
hstubblefield

I am sure I will get one and never have a problem great bows
Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #33
upnorth

what i found out . is that they are set at the factory and they dont want the customers to re adjust them . being snuged down wont hurt anything but you dont want to tighten down real tight because you could crush it . he told me how to adjust it but said the best thing is leave it the way the factory set .told him that the customers will tighten everything down and i need to know how to get it back .so now i know how . sorry for my first answer in this post but all i did was relay what i was told the first time .
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #34
MeanV2

Quote:
what i found out . is that they are set at the factory and they dont want the customers to re adjust them . being snuged down wont hurt anything but you dont want to tighten down real tight because you could crush it . he told me how to adjust it but said the best thing is leave it the way the factory set .told him that the customers will tighten everything down and i need to know how to get it back .so now i know how . sorry for my first answer in this post but all i did was relay what i was told the first time .
No Problem! I'm glad everyone is on the same page. Just want to make sure everyone has the correct info. Thanks for posting Bob!

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #35
MeanV2

Here is a video of just what would happen were a FLX guard to break at full draw. Pretty uneventful to be honest.

You can spin it anyway you want but it will Not change the fact that if a FLX guard were to break (highly unlikely) it would not cause the bow to derail.

On the other hand if you derail the bow or dry fire it through operator error it can but may not always cause the FLX guard to br jerked out of it's mounting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiBW2Y3FoHA

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com