Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
tom-vmdpa

tom-vmdpa is on a distinguished road
Default need help

hi, all ,going to buy compound bow from ebay,sounds silly but its obviously important to me.only ever used one as a youngster and don,t know if i need a right handed or left handed bow,i,m right handed in writing etc , and feel
in that case i would imagine that i would use my left hand to pull the string back. would this be a correct assumption.any suggestions welcome. cheers tom
tom-vmdpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
archerykid12

archerykid12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-vmdpa View Post
hi, all ,going to buy compound bow from ebay,sounds silly but its obviously important to me.only ever used one as a youngster and don,t know if i need a right handed or left handed bow,i,m right handed in writing etc , and feel
in that case i would imagine that i would use my left hand to pull the string back. would this be a correct assumption.any suggestions welcome. cheers tom

if you are right handed you will be pulling the bow back with your right hand and hold the bow with the left

to figure out if you are right or left handed you will need to determine your dominant eye

find a pro shop you will need one they will be able to help you help you a lot
archerykid12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
tom-vmdpa

tom-vmdpa is on a distinguished road
Default reply

thanks for your time, pro shops probably the best shot,will do.will have to learn ,going from gold detector to bow . this will be interesting , cheers tom
tom-vmdpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
sweet old bill

sweet old bill is on a distinguished road

Go to a good bow pro shop and be measured for your draw and then try several bows. You may be able to find a good used bow or a left over tht will save you some $$$.
sweet old bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Here what you want to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-vmdpa View Post
thanks for your time, pro shops probably the best shot,will do.will have to learn ,going from gold detector to bow . this will be interesting , cheers tom
What is your draw length
How much draw weight with a release you can draw.

Tom find those things out and we can help you more here. Dont let them sale you a bow that to long in draw. Notice on the pictures here where the string hits most archers. Should not come much farther bck than the corner of the mouth. Archery is so much more fun when fitted with the right bow.
DB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1258.jpg (151.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1259.jpg (29.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1246.jpg (140.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

I don't recommend buying off ebay until you shoot at least a dozen different bows and figure out what you like and what fits. some pro shops will be very helpful even if you buy elsewhere because they know you'll be back for other things due to their reputation and your experience. The snobby shops don't get return visits from me.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
asa1485

asa1485 is on a distinguished road

Which eye dominance are you?

If you do not know, hold both hands out letting them overlap making a hole. Look through the hole for a couple of seconds. Then pull your hands back and continue looking through them. Which ever eye your hands go to , that is your dominant eye.
asa1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
carabonga

carabonga is on a distinguished road
Default left eye dominant ,shoot RH

left eye dominant, shoot right .I just close left eye. I just went thru thre same thing .Bought a bow without knowing about bow technical and got myself stuck with a too long draw lenght and can't get the module to adjust .Then met with the proper experience people got myself a good bow properly adjust for me and only after shooting the fourt time and about maybe 200 arrow I scored a 290 and 294 score everything just fell into place . All those advice I see on the other previous post was recomended
to me and work out great. Ask for help and lots of question and diferent comment about what you want to do with the bow you want to by Hunt,target shoot ,3D shoot ect.It all make a difrence.and remenber DONT BUY A BOW BECAUSE IT IS THE FASTEST because when it is fast it is less forgiving and harder to shoot .You may want to start with a lower poudage bow to work you form and thechnique.
my frist bow was a 2000 PSE tazman 50 60 pound 30 draw lenght.I shoot now a 2008bowteck commander 50 60 # set @ 52 pd and 28 draw lenght at a speed of 210 fps with borrowed arrow(still wayting for my new arrow to come in)
carabonga is offline   Reply With Quote