Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Javi, JDX, Xquest or anyone else, friend needs a little coaching

Wanting to know how to beat the mental game. Feels he shooting good but cant get over the hump mentally.

300 56X shooter.

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 01-25-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Daniel Boone

Default I'm going to comment

While driving home yesterday with Chris Hacker it was surprising to hear how he was extremely nervous in his first few rounds.

Realize everyone deals with it. Even the best.

We all have are demons.

Now maybe some of these guys can give you insight how to deal with the mental game.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Dan the key is to focus on process and not results.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

Here’s an article I wrote a while back

Pressure & Rewards the hidden keys of the mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mind can be a crazy thing; it’s amazing how it affects us every minute of our life personalities vary in the types of mood swings, hot spells, nervousness, fainting, aggressiveness and simply being calm. These are all responses triggered by the thought process on the mind.
So many times people have become frustrated over their performance level which can take place in all types of sports or even job related activities.

But today we will relate on some of the aspects of archery, and I still say archery is 95 % mental. How it affects everyone in its own progression has been discussed in some of the prior articles, but today we will look at some of the possible grass roots to why and how it may affect you while you’re shooting and where.

Why is it when you practice a home or at a league that in time you can shoot lights out awesome scores, the types of scores that you have been shooting for and practicing hours on end and now it all finally came together? This is awesome it’s one of the first stepping stones to the road of success.

Now all you have to do is bring this game with you when you hit the road to an important tournament. For the most part this element stays home; the individual walking into the big event most likely is not the same person as back home. We are checking and double checking our equipment everything is in check watch the arrows don’t need them wrecked, did some of you ever notice how dang worried you tend to get yourself worked up over, if it isn’t your equipment it’s what your eating or drinking everything’s got to be just perfect your watching the clock because you got to make dang sure your there an hour early because you can’t be late you need to get your target face in that special spot we wouldn’t want anyone else getting it up on the backstop first. So finally it’s show time folks the whistle blows and your knees are rattling you pull back aim carefully and now you watch it awe, man that pins all over the place and you shoot, now frustration kicks in because #1 you weren’t this dang nerved up at home and what the heck, something so simple now almost seems impossible to repeat as putting the arrow simply in the middle. So we try again and some will just keep spiraling slowly down hill and some will recover.

What is happening??????

Well certain aspects of your game can be affected by fatigue be it the long road trip to get to the shoot, or it could be a health issue dragging you down some be it a bad cold but we all understand these conditions. What happens when it not the case, what the heck is going on. Did you ever consider archery as a love hate sport man we can have some really awesome days and others, well not so great.

What are we doing different between at home and the big event?
We are mentally breaking ourselves down; we are adding a ton of unnecessary pressure with no “rewards”.

This takes place more then ever when shooting indoor spots and second to that would be the field rounds, why?? Because for the most part the atmosphere is extremely tense and serious.

Stand back some time and watch the reaction to the majority of the average shooters out there when they are on the line shooting for score, for the most part you will see tension in their faces, frustration in their shot, mumbling to themselves and usually not the greatest choices of words these are all signs of unnecessary pressure. They are more focused on not missing and trying to stay above a certain score that even being their average, the confidence they once had and the mind set a great shot has been replaced. Some folks are so tense that they get all fired up over slightest noise in the back ground while they are shooting, and just a quick note turning on a radio while practicing is ok but the real training method is to leave it quiet and have a few folks talking in the back ground that way in time when this happens at a shoot you will have trained yourself to stay in your own little world and not be pulled in and distracted over someone’s conversation.

If you watch a shoot off taking place with the best of the best pay attention on their reactions – now this should be maximum pressure event, but what you will notice is these folks normally will be joking and laughing, smiles on their faces which translates into happy thoughts they have managed the most important key and this has allowed them the chance to be there that given day. That in turn is what was missing on the first line the Confidence, Focus and Rewards this in turns drives the mindset.

Back home when you were all shooting well, you were joking around with your friends, and when you made an awesome shot you were pumped and you reacted to that you rewarded your mind set for a great shot, you weren’t worried about distracting anyone you weren’t worried about shooting a certain score, all you were thinking about while having fun back home in your comfort zone ( league- home) was shooting that great shot nothing more and slamming another in the zone and in turn that’s how you achieved the awesome scores back home you drew off of the rush and you just continued shooting the greatest rounds ever that you so desired.

You were not all into about everything having to be perfect on that check list you were flinging arrows with the desire of that great shot and when you did you were all pumped and rewarding your mindset. No worries, score limits no nothing just smashing some arrows in the zone and being humbled and pumped and rewarding yourself and your mindset and in turned it just got you more fired up until you could just point and the shot went off effortlessly from one to the next you become so in to the game it makes it seem so easy. This is because you eliminated a lot of the unnecessary barriers that made no sense and became what you so desired and that is focusing on that one great shot that just explodes and slams the X shot after shot and every time it hits the spot you get crazy pumped with the excitement – this is all good food for the mind and this is the Reward

That’s why 3D can be so affective because when you nail the 12 you can hoot & yell out and get pumped (good food for the mindset) whereas on the indoor line it’s hard to stay focused on the rewards and the positive mind set and we tend to fall doom to all the unnecessary barriers that can strip us all of what we are capable of shooting.

Best of Luck Shooting All

Jeff Heeg

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
Here’s an article I wrote a while back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mind can be a crazy thing; it’s amazing how it affects us every minute of our life personalities vary in the types of mood swings, hot spells, nervousness, fainting, aggressiveness and simply being calm. These are all responses triggered by the thought process on the mind.
So many times people have become frustrated over their performance level which can take place in all types of sports or even job related activities.

But today we will relate on some of the aspects of archery, and I still say archery is 95 % mental. How it affects everyone in its own progression has been discussed in some of the prior articles, but today we will look at some of the possible grass roots to why and how it may affect you while you’re shooting and where.

Why is it when you practice a home or at a league that in time you can shoot lights out awesome scores, the types of scores that you have been shooting for and practicing hours on end and now it all finally came together? This is awesome it’s one of the first stepping stones to the road of success.

Now all you have to do is bring this game with you when you hit the road to an important tournament. For the most part this element stays home; the individual walking into the big event most likely is not the same person as back home. We are checking and double checking our equipment everything is in check watch the arrows don’t need them wrecked, did some of you ever notice how dang worried you tend to get yourself worked up over, if it isn’t your equipment it’s what your eating or drinking everything’s got to be just perfect your watching the clock because you got to make dang sure your there an hour early because you can’t be late you need to get your target face in that special spot we wouldn’t want anyone else getting it up on the backstop first. So finally it’s show time folks the whistle blows and your knees are rattling you pull back aim carefully and now you watch it awe, man that pins all over the place and you shoot, now frustration kicks in because #1 you weren’t this dang nerved up at home and what the heck, something so simple now almost seems impossible to repeat as putting the arrow simply in the middle. So we try again and some will just keep spiraling slowly down hill and some will recover.

What is happening??????

Well certain aspects of your game can be affected by fatigue be it the long road trip to get to the shoot, or it could be a health issue dragging you down some be it a bad cold but we all understand these conditions. What happens when it not the case, what the heck is going on. Did you ever consider archery as a love hate sport man we can have some really awesome days and others, well not so great.

What are we doing different between at home and the big event?
We are mentally breaking ourselves down; we are adding a ton of unnecessary pressure with no “rewards”.

This takes place more then ever when shooting indoor spots and second to that would be the field rounds, why?? Because for the most part the atmosphere is extremely tense and serious.

Stand back some time and watch the reaction to the majority of the average shooters out there when they are on the line shooting for score, for the most part you will see tension in their faces, frustration in their shot, mumbling to themselves and usually not the greatest choices of words these are all signs of unnecessary pressure. They are more focused on not missing and trying to stay above a certain score that even being their average, the confidence they once had and the mind set a great shot has been replaced. Some folks are so tense that they get all fired up over slightest noise in the back ground while they are shooting, and just a quick note turning on a radio while practicing is ok but the real training method is to leave it quiet and have a few folks talking in the back ground that way in time when this happens at a shoot you will have trained yourself to stay in your own little world and not be pulled in and distracted over someone’s conversation.

If you watch a shoot off taking place with the best of the best pay attention on their reactions – now this should be maximum pressure event, but what you will notice is these folks normally will be joking and laughing, smiles on their faces which translates into happy thoughts they have managed the most important key and this has allowed them the chance to be there that given day. That in turn is what was missing on the first line the Confidence, Focus and Rewards this in turns drives the mindset.

Back home when you were all shooting well, you were joking around with your friends, and when you made an awesome shot you were pumped and you reacted to that you rewarded your mind set for a great shot, you weren’t worried about distracting anyone you weren’t worried about shooting a certain score, all you were thinking about while having fun back home in your comfort zone ( league- home) was shooting that great shot nothing more and slamming another in the zone and in turn that’s how you achieved the awesome scores back home you drew off of the rush and you just continued shooting the greatest rounds ever that you so desired.

You were not all into about everything having to be perfect on that check list you were flinging arrows with the desire of that great shot and when you did you were all pumped and rewarding your mindset. No worries, score limits no nothing just smashing some arrows in the zone and being humbled and pumped and rewarding yourself and your mindset and in turned it just got you more fired up until you could just point and the shot went off effortlessly from one to the next you become so in to the game it makes it seem so easy. This is because you eliminated a lot of the unnecessary barriers that made no sense and became what you so desired and that is focusing on that one great shot that just explodes and slams the X shot after shot and every time it hits the spot you get crazy pumped with the excitement – this is all good food for the mind and this is the Reward

That’s why 3D can be so affective because when you nail the 12 you can hoot & yell out and get pumped (good food for the mindset) whereas on the indoor line it’s hard to stay focused on the rewards and the positive mind set and we tend to fall doom to all the unnecessary barriers that can strip us all of what we are capable of shooting.

Best of Luck Shooting All

Jeff Heeg
Great article Jeff! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
XQuest

XQuest is on a distinguished road
Default Just a few words

There is no substitude for experience or in other words exposure. We all know also that there is no defense in archery......only aggressive offense.
JDX had a good reply above, lots of good idea's on the whole board.
XQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
The Hood

The Hood is on a distinguished road

I take it personnel

me against the paper

not

me against another person....

when I finally got my mind to understand that it was me against it,,,we started really battling each other,,,,Man!!! my mind would get mad & my body would get madder,,when the spot shoot was over, I was mentally drained...But not once did I think about anyone else being in the shoot!

The only person that can beat me, is myself....That was THE Hardest part to teach my mind.

Now when your in the #1 hole at Vegas or Nationals,,,how can you teach your mind not to think about WHAT "could be" while shooting??? you got 5 0r 3 arrows to go and your mind starts thinking about hehe,,,It gets real hard to shoot,,I've had OUT OF BODY experiences, in that #1 hole

I tought myself to>>>---------------> Aim Hard & Jerk Fast!!!!!
I won in Vegas and have 2nd 3rd & 5 at Nationals

Last edited by The Hood; 01-28-2010 at 03:18 PM.
The Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

How to beat the mental game… ????

Dan, you can’t beat your own mind but you can train it to work for you.
You’ve read Lanny’s writings describing one of the methods of training your mind to work for you and it is a proven method if used as described.

I’m fond of the saying “Learn to put all your arrows into one hole; then adjust your sights” I use it in my teachings.. Some people “get” what I’m saying and others don’t…

Competitive archery is a game of repetition if you do exactly the same thing exactly the same way each time the same results will happen. Lots of people give lip service to shot sequences and yet if you watch them they will not repeat each step exactly the same way each time or they will force a shot when you can see by their body language that something isn’t correct.

Those who train their bodies and their minds to perform each of the processes of their shot in exactly the same manner each time are those who succeed in the sport. Raw talent and practice will only take someone so far, after that one must break the shot down into separate processes and train for each process.

Along with training the body and mind to each process, you must learn to narrow your focus and goals. Most archers are satisfied to shoot a 300 on a 5 spot and hope to get a high X count.

A comparative few are satisfied to shoot a sixty X on the five spot or a 300 on the Vegas face and even fewer are satisfied if they miss the baby X on the Vegas face a few times on the way to a 300 score.

Even fewer are upset at themselves for cutting the line on the baby X because it means they did not repeat their process exactly and they know it… those are the champions. They have learned it isn’t the result that matters, it is the process that produces the result.. They aren’t competing against someone or even themselves… they are executing their processes and expect the process to produce results…

Once you expect to hit the baby X with each shot, only experience can help… seek out the best and shoot with them at every opportunity.

Last edited by JAVI; 01-31-2010 at 11:11 AM.
JAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
Daniel Boone

Default Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
How to beat the mental game… ????

Dan, you can’t beat your own mind but you can train it to work for you.
You’ve read Lanny’s writings describing one of the methods of training your mind to work for you and it is a proven method if used as described.

I’m fond of the saying “Learn to put all your arrows into one hole; then adjust your sights” I use it in my teachings.. Some people “get” what I’m saying and others don’t…

Competitive archery is a game of repetition if you do exactly the same thing exactly the same way each time the same results will happen. Lots of people give lip service to shot sequences and yet if you watch them they will not repeat each step exactly the same way each time or they will force a shot when you can see by their body language that something isn’t correct.

Those who train their bodies and their minds to perform each of the processes of their shot in exactly the same manner each time are those who succeed in the sport. Raw talent and practice will only take someone so far, after that one must break the shot down into separate processes and train for each process.

Along with training the body and mind to each process, you must learn to narrow your focus and goals. Most archers are satisfied to shoot a 300 on a 5 spot and hope to get a high X count.

A comparative few are satisfied to shoot a sixty X on the five spot or a 300 on the Vegas face and even fewer are satisfied if they miss the baby X on the Vegas face a few times on the way to a 300 score.

Even fewer are upset at themselves for cutting the line on the baby X because it means they did not repeat their process exactly and they know it… those are the champions. They have learned it isn’t the result that matters, it is the process that produces the result.. They aren’t competing against someone or even themselves… they are executing their processes and expect the process to produce results…

Once you expect to hit the baby X with each shot, only experience can help… seek out the best and shoot with them at every opportunity.
Been working on my shot process. Just focusing on one arrow at a time.
Been simulating a little tournament pressure by shooting and practicing with a friend one on one.
DB