Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
targets3d

targets3d is on a distinguished road
Default Target bow accessories - on a budget

Hi Folks

I am hoping to purchase a Diamond Razor Edge soon for target shooting (26" draw length and 40lbs-50lbs draw. The Razor package seems to come with a hunting set up (sights, hostage rest and quiver) which is probably not ideal for target. Can someone recommend some good alternative accessories to outfit the Razor Edge on the cheap for target shooting

1. Sights - 0.19 single pin sights I saw were all $100+
2. Rest - I am told I should go with a target rest - (e.g NAP quicktune)
3. Hip quiver
4. Stabilizer - length? weight?
5. Arrows - what is the ideal weight (grains) and length for my draw

TIA
targets3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

My son has 2 of them. He hunts with one and shoots target with the other one. It has had a lot of shots through it and he has had no problems. He is 13 and shoots around the 280 mark for an average. He won a youth class last year in 3D. Here is a picture with him in it with his trophy. He is on the left side his twin in the middle and I am on the right with the Athens Accomplice 34.

General Archery Forum
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by targets3d View Post
Hi Folks

I am hoping to purchase a Diamond Razor Edge soon for target shooting (26" draw length and 40lbs-50lbs draw. The Razor package seems to come with a hunting set up (sights, hostage rest and quiver) which is probably not ideal for target. Can someone recommend some good alternative accessories to outfit the Razor Edge on the cheap for target shooting

1. Sights - 0.19 single pin sights I saw were all $100+
2. Rest - I am told I should go with a target rest - (e.g NAP quicktune)
3. Hip quiver
4. Stabilizer - length? weight?
5. Arrows - what is the ideal weight (grains) and length for my draw

TIA
There so many answers to your questions here. Everyone could give a different one.

First of all we got to decide what class you will shoot in tournament. Assc. will be different depending on the class you shoot. Freestyle or Bowhunter.
If you using a single pin sight that moves you will shoot freestyle. Makes a difference.
DB
Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

DB is right, the class you want to shoot will really dictate the equipment options. You might check the classifieds here for used equipment to save yourself come money.

My suggestions for freestyle:

Sight: if you want new at a great price check out the Davis "The System" sights.

Rest: a spring steel blade/launcher rest might be a bit cheaper to get into than a good drop away and many think they work better.

Stab: This depends all on you and what feels right

Hip Quiver: Bohning makes a nice hip quiver that can be had fairly inexpensively

Arrows: I'm partial to Victory (obviously ). Looks like a 500 spine would work good for you and about a 26-27" arrow would work nice.

Last edited by Supermag; 01-31-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
targets3d

targets3d is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback. To clarify, I am shooting outdoor target as well as 3D open catergory - so no restriction on equipment.

Also, I had a question about releases. Anyone use handheld releases? can you recommend a good index-finger handheld release (are they better than thumb releases?)

Also on stabilizer issue, if the bow is light and self-balanced e.g. Diamond Razor Edge, do I even need one? with no restriction on equipment should I go for short or long?
targets3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
TMax27

TMax27 is on a distinguished road

For an Open setup:

Sights: Look at spending some $$$ in this area. Even a good deal in the classifieds, you are gonna spend $150+. CBE sight w/ a Viper or Classic scope will be what I go to when I advance up to the Open class.

Rest: The Trophy Taker Spring Steel One is a good rest. Very simple and indestructable.

Stabilizer: You have to see what works for you and balances your bow out. You can go from mild to wild in this area. No offense, but if the Diamond Razor Edge was so light and self-balanced, you would see more people on the line w/ these bows.

Quiver: Sure you could spend $100+ on one w/ all the bells and whistles, but a $20-$30 one from Lancaster, etc. will suffice.

Arrows: Depending on what association you shoot w/ (ASA or IBO rules), will kinda determine your arrows. Gold Tip X-Cutters are a good all around target/3d arrow. ASA has a speed limit of 280 so you have to plan accordingly. IBO is no speed limit, so you would want to go as light as your bow will allow you to still shoot good. Although, w/ your short draw and low weight, you will probably struggle to get 280 anyway.
2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja
TMax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road

As far as releases go it is a personal preference. it seems that it is easier to not targer panic with a thumb trigger over an index finger trigger. there are also allot of good backtension and hinge releases out there. it comes down to personal preference in this category.

As far as the stabilizer: as a general rule the more weight the further away from your bow with a stiffer stabilizer will give you a better shot. now that being said you can have too much weight too far from your bow. Best way to figure it out is to shoot as many as possible. Speaking to do you "need" a stabilizer technically no you do not; however, because of the physics involved it improves your score by making it easier to hold steady on your target.

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Few ideas

Cartel stabilizers sale cheap in classifiads.

Like Mike from Carter is good wrist strap. I recommend a good release like a target three or four finger.

Neet makes good quivers cheap. Most of us use chairs in 3d now days.

Trophy Taker drop aways or Spring steel rest are both good rest.

Look for an older model CBE sight. Cant go wrong with a CBE. I just sold one for around $140.00 for the sight.

Viper scopes are good scopes.
DB