Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Daniel Boone
Senior Member
 
Daniel Boone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,934
Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Diffiantly thinking outside the box Terry Reynolds Pro archer winner of Florida

Terry Reynolds set up at Florida.

Terry has his Mathews Monster XLR8 set at
28.5" draw length and 73 pounds. He is shooting
Gold Tip Triple X arrows with four inch NAP
Quick Spin Vanes. The total arrow weighs 546
grains with 220 grains in point weight.
"Which is kind of odd," Terry admits. "This is
actually my spot set up. I was shooting this for
spots and it just happens to shoot 280 so I left it
right there."
The rest of Terry's setup is as follows, CBE
sight, Extreme Scope with a Classic Lens ("I like
the Classic lens so I just made it work," Terry
added). He also uses a 8X lens and a 3X clarifier
with an LP Pro Light.

You can read the whole story and picture at this link

http://www.archerynewsnow.com/Reynolds.html
__________________
Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 02-09-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
dicksenn
14 Ring for Me!
 
dicksenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Glenpool, OK
Posts: 491
dicksenn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Terry Reynolds set up at Florida.

Terry has his Mathews Monster XLR8 set at
28.5" draw length and 73 pounds. He is shooting
Gold Tip Triple X arrows with four inch NAP
Quick Spin Vanes. The total arrow weighs 546
grains with 220 grains in point weight.
"Which is kind of odd," Terry admits. "This is
actually my spot set up. I was shooting this for
spots and it just happens to shoot 280 so I left it
right there."
The rest of Terry's setup is as follows, CBE
sight, Extreme Scope with a Classic Lens ("I like
the Classic lens so I just made it work," Terry
added). He also uses a 8X lens and a 3X clarifier
with an LP Pro Light.

You can read the whole story and picture at this link

http://www.archerynewsnow.com/Reynolds.html
Interesting on the 8x lens. I use a 6x with a 2x clarifier and have been wondering what an 8x lens would be like. I've always thought heavier arrows flew better and they sure help busting there way into a crowded 12 ring, but with my bows I could never dream of getting a 546 grain arrow to shoot 280, that's impressive.
__________________
Archery Outpost
Tulsa, OK
Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows
dicksenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tecumseh, Mi.
Posts: 96
ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road
Default

I am so pumped for Terry! Looking at the pics, is Levi shooting Easton? Or still GT? No biggy just wondering!
__________________
James Drouillare...Adams Archery...Hoyt...Easton...Trophy Taker...Scott Archery...Doinker...Muzzy...Bohning
ruttinbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Daniel Boone
Senior Member
 
Daniel Boone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,934
Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttinbuck View Post
I am so pumped for Terry! Looking at the pics, is Levi shooting Easton? Or still GT? No biggy just wondering!
Shoots Triple XXX's from Goldtip Indoor and out.


DB
__________________
Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Daniel Boone
Senior Member
 
Daniel Boone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,934
Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksenn View Post
Interesting on the 8x lens. I use a 6x with a 2x clarifier and have been wondering what an 8x lens would be like. I've always thought heavier arrows flew better and they sure help busting there way into a crowded 12 ring, but with my bows I could never dream of getting a 546 grain arrow to shoot 280, that's impressive.
Im amazed at the lens set up. Could be times are changing and will see more set up like this. I know the shoter axle bows will shoot lights out in the right hands. I would love to see Nathan Brooks shoot my Elite.
DB
__________________
Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tecumseh, Mi.
Posts: 96
ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Shoots Triple XXX's from Goldtip Indoor and out.


DB
Oh...in the pictures, his arrows looked blue with Gnocks. Thats why I was wondering.
__________________
James Drouillare...Adams Archery...Hoyt...Easton...Trophy Taker...Scott Archery...Doinker...Muzzy...Bohning
ruttinbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
BuckeyeRed
Super Member
 
BuckeyeRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 1,067
BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough
Default Looks like he switched to Easton DB

Just saw this on www.archerynewsnow.com home page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_115.jpg (74.2 KB, 518 views)
__________________
Be good or be good at it.
BuckeyeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Daniel Boone
Senior Member
 
Daniel Boone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,934
Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
Just saw this on www.archerynewsnow.com home page
No wonder he lost to a Goldtip shooter. Ill have to check this out. Im not sure he could have shot any better than last year.
DB
__________________
Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tecumseh, Mi.
Posts: 96
ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
Just saw this on www.archerynewsnow.com home page
I was too busy looking for the logo on his shirt! DUH! Ill be darn! Thought they looked blue. Thanks BuckeyeRed!
__________________
James Drouillare...Adams Archery...Hoyt...Easton...Trophy Taker...Scott Archery...Doinker...Muzzy...Bohning
ruttinbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Daniel Boone
Senior Member
 
Daniel Boone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,934
Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttinbuck View Post
Oh...in the pictures, his arrows looked blue with Gnocks. Thats why I was wondering.
Ill be darn. Hard to keep up with these guys. Quest for the perfect arrow or money paid.
DB
__________________
Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
BuckeyeRed
Super Member
 
BuckeyeRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 1,067
BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Ill be darn. Hard to keep up with these guys. Quest for the perfect arrow or money paid.
DB
Probably both

Did you guys see how much wt. Hopkins has on his stabs? He is a beast!
__________________
Be good or be good at it.
BuckeyeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
okarcher
Bow In Hand!
 
okarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 402
okarcher is on a distinguished road
Default

Had my best year shooting a 5x thinking of picking up another one.
__________________
Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
,Bohning vanes
okarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Devine Shot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 341
Devine Shot is on a distinguished road
Default

Tom Crowe shot heavy pounds with monster last year with I believe 600+ grain arrow and said it shrunk his sight tape A LOT... That made me think about doing a similar set up if I shot this year. It was pretty impressive when I watched Terry step up in Open Pro with similar set up and win in that division. Maybe those shorter Axles bows can compete nowadays.... Pretty cool.
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
JAVI
Senior Member
 
JAVI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,636
JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
Tom Crowe shot heavy pounds with monster last year with I believe 600+ grain arrow and said it shrunk his sight tape A LOT... That made me think about doing a similar set up if I shot this year. It was pretty impressive when I watched Terry step up in Open Pro with similar set up and win in that division. Maybe those shorter Axles bows can compete nowadays.... Pretty cool.
I think you will see more of the top guys doing the heavy arrow thingy in the near future... And a bunch changing to Rod's Pro Pins as well..
__________________
Mike "Javi" Cooper

Last edited by JAVI; 02-09-2010 at 11:41 AM.
JAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
dicksenn
14 Ring for Me!
 
dicksenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Glenpool, OK
Posts: 491
dicksenn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
And a bunch changing to Rod's Pro Pins as well..
What is/are the Pro Pins?
__________________
Archery Outpost
Tulsa, OK
Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows
dicksenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
JAVI
Senior Member
 
JAVI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,636
JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksenn View Post
What is/are the Pro Pins?
http://competitionarcheryproducts.com/gpage3.html
__________________
Mike "Javi" Cooper
JAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
CutTheLoop
Senior Member
 
CutTheLoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 990
CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
I think you will see more of the top guys doing the heavy arrow thingy in the near future... And a bunch changing to Rod's Pro Pins as well..

I switched bows too, one reason being so I could shoot a heavier arrow. Had been shooting a flimsy, light spined 290 grain arrow just trying to get to 283.

World of difference for my style. If ever there was a need for a fast, heavy arrow, it's shooting finger release.


Currently, 340 gr 283fps @ 60#

Had good results with a 360 gr Fat arrow couple weeks ago, still playing with numbers.
__________________

..............................

Last edited by CutTheLoop; 02-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.
CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
CutTheLoop
Senior Member
 
CutTheLoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 990
CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
Probably both

Did you guys see how much wt. Hopkins has on his stabs? He is a beast!

Took a hint from Tom Crowe after last year.
__________________

..............................
CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
CutTheLoop
Senior Member
 
CutTheLoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 990
CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post

I know a guy who will certainly be using those this year.
__________________

..............................
CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
hstubblefield
Senior Member
 
hstubblefield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,597
hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield
Default

that is intresting Yeah there seam to be more people shooting Colbots and Eclpises this year than ever I may order me a couple dozen
__________________
Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
Whistling Wings Guide Service
Bad Boys Bowfishing
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #21
JAVI
Senior Member
 
JAVI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,636
JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
I know a guy who will certainly be using those this year.
The neat thing about the Pro Pins is they don't seem to follow a pre-xisting hole like regular points sometimes do... they tend to make their own... this can be a good thing...
__________________
Mike "Javi" Cooper
JAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
CutTheLoop
Senior Member
 
CutTheLoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 990
CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
The neat thing about the Pro Pins is they don't seem to follow a pre-xisting hole like regular points sometimes do... they tend to make their own... this can be a good thing...

I shot the link to Tommy Gomez... if hasn't started using them already, I bet he will.

I recall at least 20+ points he dumped at Hattiesburg last year, glancing off of pin nocks.
__________________

..............................
CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #23
master Cleatus
Jerry Whittington
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 276
master Cleatus is on a distinguished road
Default

I shot with Terry on Saturday... I was impressed on how well he shot and judged. He is a very nice guy to shoot with too.

best arrow flight I have ever saw...amazing to see how well those quick-spins flew those arrows

Levi was shooting easton 2412's he said the weighed 400 grains..(I forgot exact number)

I shot 400 goldtips..they only weighed 311 grains..they group well, but the also deflect bad when they hit/glance those large 2x4's is the 12 ring...got an 8 and a 5 because of glance outs...

Had a great time...bet I won't be shooting wimpy arrows in Columbus

Hefty,Hefty,Hefty !
master Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #24
Daniel Boone
Senior Member
 
Daniel Boone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,934
Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Finished high again

Reynolds has got something going on with this bow for sure.
DB
__________________
Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #25
jim p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 105
jim p is on a distinguished road
Default

Do these points with the needle tips help with bouncing off other pin nocks and do they also help by making their own hole in the target. What I am trying to determine is what are their advantage over a typical point.

One other question is that I have is this. I only shoot 55 lb draw weight. Is there anyway that I could use a xxx with a 100 grain point. From what it looks like it would be way over spined. If I want a big shaft arrow, what would you suggest for my setup.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #26
CutTheLoop
Senior Member
 
CutTheLoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 990
CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p View Post
Do these points with the needle tips help with bouncing off other pin nocks and do they also help by making their own hole in the target. What I am trying to determine is what are their advantage over a typical point.

One other question is that I have is this. I only shoot 55 lb draw weight. Is there anyway that I could use a xxx with a 100 grain point. From what it looks like it would be way over spined. If I want a big shaft arrow, what would you suggest for my setup.

From what I read, they are designed to punch through pin nocks.

xxx would probably be too stiff w/55#. Might try Carbon Express CXL 150 for that draw weight. Maybe Line Jammer 250's.
__________________

..............................
CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #27
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tecumseh, Mi.
Posts: 96
ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Reynolds has got something going on with this bow for sure.
DB
He has been busting his butt off this year. He is a great guy. You will be seeing him up towards the top all this year.
__________________
James Drouillare...Adams Archery...Hoyt...Easton...Trophy Taker...Scott Archery...Doinker...Muzzy...Bohning
ruttinbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com