Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Heavier arrow carries better down wind

Interesting theory. Terry Reynolds shooting a 575 grn arrow won the pro class.

Some are saying it will drop less downwind for 35yrds to 50yrds due to KE on the front. Im having a hard time understanding this. Tom Crowe success is hard to argue with.

Sure paid off in the shoot down in that wind. He sure didnt drift like others.
DB
Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post

Some are saying it will drop less downwind for 35yrds to 50yrds due to KE on the front. Im having a hard time understanding this. Tom Crowe success is hard to argue with.

DB
DB what weight is he shooting off the Monster?You would think he would have alot of drop with a arrow that heavy for sure
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Daniel Boone

Default Dont know

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstubblefield View Post
DB what weight is he shooting off the Monster?You would think he would have alot of drop with a arrow that heavy for sure
I have no idea. 550 grn arrow at 29"/30" draw he would be shooting alot of poundage I would think.
DB
Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
hstubblefield

Quote:
I have no idea. 550 grn arrow at 29"/30" draw he would be shooting alot of poundage I would think.
DB
To get 280-288 out of it you would think around 75# or 80#
Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

I been telling you that for years big guy...

Easy to test... go get a ping pong ball and a golf ball, throw them both as hard as you can in a 10 mph cross wind.... see which one goes further and deflects less because of the wind...
Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
TMax27

TMax27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To get 280-288 out of it you would think around 75# or 80#
According to the charts... 70lbs would be 278, 75lbs would be 288.
2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja
TMax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
cath8r

cath8r is on a distinguished road

71# on his Monster XLR8, I read on the 'other' forum. I met him a couple years back at one of OBT's Smackdown's in MI and he was shooting a C4 indoors at 72#. I don't think he even hit the 10 line that night.
Anyone know what kind of stabilizer he was using?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post

Easy to test... go get a ping pong ball and a golf ball, throw them both as hard as you can in a 10 mph cross wind.... see which one goes further and deflects less because of the wind...
What about small arrows javi like a Ace?I know they are lighter but everyone shoots them in field is it for weight or does a small arrow take wind better than most?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

For the most part I thought Tom was pulling back 80 lbs for outdoor I know he has said that he needs to draw his equipment back every day in order to keep the muscle memory needed for drawing the bow. You take a very heavy and large diameter arrow and put what ever power is needed behind it to make the max speed that is allow. No wind drifting going on at all kinda like shooting a 300 grain bullet versus a 150 grain it just plows the wind and hits hard.

I know for shooting outdoor Fita and Field we would go as heavy as we could with our equipment and the Gold Tips while focusing on a minimum speed of 270 versus trying to go lighter and achieve 280 this would give you a more consistent arrow when reaching out to 80 to 100 yards for hitting the bullseye.

Jeff

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
What about small arrows javi like a Ace?I know they are lighter but everyone shoots them in field is it for weight or does a small arrow take wind better than most?
If comparing two shafts of very similar weights and lengths with the difference being weight alone then the smaller diameter shaft will present less surface area and deviation from wind. However, a heavier shaft of the same diameter will deviate substantially less than a lighter one. Balance or FOC will also be a factor, while it is true that a higher FOC will stabilize a shaft quicker off the string it is also true that it will cause nose diving after the shaft reaches the apogee of its trajectory. Under normal conditions this isn’t a problem at the distances we shoot in 3-D. In fact a well balanced shaft with a reasonable FOC, and with a good weight to surface area ratio would actually drop less because of a higher ballistic coefficient (less drag).

Most folks are so eat up with speed being the savior of poor distance judging that they don’t look to the physical properties of the equipment and how that can affect accuracy.

Last edited by JAVI; 02-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.
JAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Daniel Boone

Default Crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
For the most part I thought Tom was pulling back 80 lbs for outdoor I know he has said that he needs to draw his equipment back every day in order to keep the muscle memory needed for drawing the bow. You take a very heavy and large diameter arrow and put what ever power is needed behind it to make the max speed that is allow. No wind drifting going on at all kinda like shooting a 300 grain bullet versus a 150 grain it just plows the wind and hits hard.

I know for shooting outdoor Fita and Field we would go as heavy as we could with our equipment and the Gold Tips while focusing on a minimum speed of 270 versus trying to go lighter and achieve 280 this would give you a more consistent arrow when reaching out to 80 to 100 yards for hitting the bullseye.

Jeff
Tom shoots 80lbs (indoors as well ) and has to build special axle to hold up on the cams.
DB
Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Daniel Boone

Default Ill diffiantly be shooting as much as I can.

Quote:

I always shoot the most weight I can for 3d. Wont be much this year.
Maybe 120grns in the front end of xcutters for a totale weight of 360grns.
DB
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
SARASR

SARASR is on a distinguished road

How do they pull 80lbs on a bow? that is one heck of a lot of weight! I just strained my shoulder pulling my Iceman at 66lbs.
SARASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
ba3darcher

ba3darcher is on a distinguished road

I am going to try shooting the pro light 22's with 110 grains in front end which weigh exactly the same as my xcutters with 90 grains in the front. I believe and I hope Javi will jump in on this, the heavier front end and the smaller diameter shaft will carry alittle further down range then the xcutter, due to less resistance and more FOC.
ba3darcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
I am going to try shooting the pro light 22's with 110 grains in front end which weigh exactly the same as my xcutters with 90 grains in the front. I believe and I hope Javi will jump in on this, the heavier front end and the smaller diameter shaft will carry alittle further down range then the xcutter, due to less resistance and more FOC.
Yep...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
ba3darcher

Quote:
Yep...
thanks Javi for confirmation.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
thanks Javi for confirmation.
My arrows weigh 456grns
Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARASR View Post
How do they pull 80lbs on a bow? that is one heck of a lot of weight! I just strained my shoulder pulling my Iceman at 66lbs.
They... are using a different set of muscles
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard

ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:

DB
Isn't Tom Crowe shooting a 400 gr arrow for IBO? I thought thats what I heard. Thats not all that heavy. They are using heavy arrows cause they have to so they can get the speeds down. As far as Terry, I am not sure what he'll be running for IBO. As good as he was this weekend, why change!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #20
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttinbuck View Post
Isn't Tom Crowe shooting a 400 gr arrow for IBO? I thought thats what I heard. Thats not all that heavy. They are using heavy arrows cause they have to so they can get the speeds down. As far as Terry, I am not sure what he'll be running for IBO. As good as he was this weekend, why change!
They shoot a heavy arrow because they want the forgivness,, and compared to most IBO arrows a 400 grain is heavy..but not as heavy as the ASA arrows he uses. I've shot on the stake with Tom more than once and I can tell you the difference...
Old 02-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
ba3darcher

Several of the Senior Pros are shooting big and heavy arrows, Tom Crowe shoots the 26 diam that weigh in around if I'm not mistaken around 600+ grains, Dan Renner is shooting 27 dia that weigh in around 500 grains. Both arrows will not deflect very much when shot into a wad on a target.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
TMax27

I am contemplating bumping up the poundage on my XXL and going w/ 140 grains in the front on the X-Cutters. I figure I will need to pull 65 or 66 pounds to get 280FPS. That would still only be a 390 grain arrow, nothing like what thes guys are shooting
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #23
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:

to compare apples to apples a golf ball weighs 17 times that of a ping pong ball . so if you started with a 350 grain arrow you would have to have a 5950 grain arrow to make it equal ,at 40 yards i would guess that the 350 grain arrow would have less drift do to the fact that propably have to almost shoot the heavy arrow at a 45% angle to get it to the target and it still might not make it there .now if that heavy arrow was shot out of a 1200 lb bow it would have less wind drift .but than again the lighter arrow would probably do around 2800 fps so there wouldnt be much drift there either .
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
Daniel Boone

Default Heavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
to compare apples to apples a golf ball weighs 17 times that of a ping pong ball . so if you started with a 350 grain arrow you would have to have a 5950 grain arrow to make it equal ,at 40 yards i would guess that the 350 grain arrow would have less drift do to the fact that propably have to almost shoot the heavy arrow at a 45% angle to get it to the target and it still might not make it there .now if that heavy arrow was shot out of a 1200 lb bow it would have less wind drift .but than again the lighter arrow would probably do around 2800 fps so there wouldnt be much drift there either .
Seems to work for some and I know these guys know there stuff. I was told he tighten his sight tape up seven yards by shooting this arrow. Javi 100% RIGHT. Many pros have told me to shoot a heavy arrow atleast in the front for years

Terry has his Mathews Monster XLR8 set at
28.5" draw length and 73 pounds. He is shooting
Gold Tip Triple X arrows with four inch NAP
Quick Spin Vanes. The total arrow weighs 546
grains with 220 grains in point weight.
"Which is kind of odd," Terry admits. "This is
actually my spot set up. I was shooting this for
spots and it just happens to shoot 280 so I left it
right there."
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
JAVI

Quote:

While it is a rough analogy it is still a valid one.. the object lesson isn't the exact deviation only that a deviation will occur.. with such analogies it is important not to think too literally, practical common sense must be used...

If you don't agree with the theory, then disprove it. But you're sure gonna surprise a whole bunch of scientists as well as FITA, Field, long range fire arm shooters and even a few rocket scientists when you somehow change the laws of physics..

Last edited by JAVI; 02-09-2010 at 09:59 AM.
JAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #26
dicksenn
14 Ring for Me!

dicksenn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
I am contemplating bumping up the poundage on my XXL and going w/ 140 grains in the front on the X-Cutters. I figure I will need to pull 65 or 66 pounds to get 280FPS. That would still only be a 390 grain arrow, nothing like what thes guys are shooting
That's what I've shot for the last couple of years and it works. My x-cutters are generally 26 1/2" to 27" with 140 grain nibbs, and blazer vanes. They usually weigh anywhere from 390 to 400 grains. They fly like darts and are plenty heavy.

The weights these guys are using are extreme. In the last several years when I tell people my arrows weigh 400 grains they think that is really heavy since a lot of people are shooting right at the 5 grains per inch.
dicksenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #27
TMax27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksenn View Post
That's what I've shot for the last couple of years and it works. My x-cutters are generally 26 1/2" to 27" with 140 grain nibbs, and blazer vanes. They usually weigh anywhere from 390 to 400 grains. They fly like darts and are plenty heavy.

The weights these guys are using are extreme. In the last several years when I tell people my arrows weigh 400 grains they think that is really heavy since a lot of people are shooting right at the 5 grains per inch.
Thanks for the information Richard Mine will have to be 27 1/2 to 28", so around 400 to 405 then. I think that would bump the F.O.C. up around 13.5%, which should be good for 3d.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #28
dicksenn
14 Ring for Me!

dicksenn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
Thanks for the information Richard Mine will have to be 27 1/2 to 28", so around 400 to 405 then. I think that would bump the F.O.C. up around 13.5%, which should be good for 3d.
Yeah you'll be good. I've never checked the FOC on mine because they've always worked.
dicksenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #29
JAVI

Remember that FOC is percentage; if the only factor to change is shaft length the shorter shaft will have a higher FOC..
Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #30
master Cleatus
Jerry Whittington

master Cleatus is on a distinguished road

terry was shooting 73 lbs if I remember what he told me correctly...
master Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #31
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

Quote:

What your saying may be true, but only if you are (not considering) the facts that both arrows weighing of different weights were shot from the same point A to point B with (and here’s the catch) – with a maximum speed of 280 fps now in this case both probably carry close to the same arc the only difference is the heavier had a harder kick in the pants when leaving point A, and will now being that they “both will travel across the range at the same speed” in the wind – the heavier will drift less

Just my opinion

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #32
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

agreed , its going to drift some . but comparing it to a train , bowling ball , golf ball , tennis ball , etc .lets say the 350m grain arrow is a axis and the 588 grain arrow is a 2613 .both leaving at 280 fps at 35 yards in a 20 mile an hour cross wind . how much would each one drift ?
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote