Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
PaPhoto

PaPhoto is on a distinguished road
Default Spots and 3D with same bow?

How many shoot spots and 3D with the same bow?
Today I shot for the first time in over 2 years, other than the 6 or so arrows every few months.

I shot a round of spots with my AlphaMax 35 60-70 lbs, limbs are not quite all the way down but they are pretty close.

I only shot a 550 which is bad, but shooting bowhunter, and close to 70 lbs was probably normal for that kind of time off.

That is why I am asking, if you will be shooting some 3D, and spots at the same time, do you do it with the same bow. If I can get used to it, would be great having the exact same setup all the time, just not sure if its practical.

Also do you loose accuracy shooting at the low end of the draw weight range?
PaPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
NerdHick
<<< Triumph!

NerdHick is on a distinguished road

last year I was shooting a different bow for each, this year its one bow. I'm even shooting the same arrows, I'm tossing up the idea of getting another set of fatboys and making them super heavy for spots to slow things down a bit...

shot a 298 35x with my 3-d set up, pins and 319 grain arrows, could I do better with a heavier arrow?? the lighter ones, I just miss faster, slower, might just miss slower?? Who knows.

Bottom line is I want to get good with one set up and thats it, not mess around with multiple set ups...

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff
NerdHick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
PaPhoto

PaPhoto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdHick View Post
last year I was shooting a different bow for each, this year its one bow. I'm even shooting the same arrows, I'm tossing up the idea of getting another set of fatboys and making them super heavy for spots to slow things down a bit...

shot a 298 35x with my 3-d set up, pins and 319 grain arrows, could I do better with a heavier arrow?? the lighter ones, I just miss faster, slower, might just miss slower?? Who knows.

Bottom line is I want to get good with one set up and thats it, not mess around with multiple set ups...
I also thought about doing that, and actually thought about getting a second Identical sight. (spot hogg hogg it) and just swap out the 3d sight and spot sight when you switch arrows. Not cheap, but still cheaper than 2 bows.
PaPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

I use the same exact setup w/ my Apex 7 for both 3D and spots.

Shooting 61# w/ 356g fatboys @ 270fps. Black eagle .50 diopter lens w/ .010 pin.

I shoot primarily 3D and some spots, but I shot a 300 48X w/ it earlier this week so it works. I'd like to move the A7 to just indoor, when I do the M7 will be my new 3D rig.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

I shoot the same setup for spots/3d/and Field. Hoyt ProElite,60#, shooting a 358 gr. fatboy. The one thing I have changed lately is switching to Lightspeed 400's for summer shooting (outdoor 3d and Field). smaller arrows dont have as much wind resistance when shooting at the 80 yd walkup

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
dan flood

dan flood is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to do it this year. Started shooting spots about 2+ months ago. Working out real well. I'm using my Prestige. Last year I switched off between 3 different bows, Prestige, Switchback and a Monster (just because I was told I couldn't ). Had pretty good results and a lot of fun.
dan flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
The_Kat
Honey Creek Pro Staff

The_Kat is on a distinguished road

I shoot my proelite for both. I just crank it all the way down for indoors, and all the way up for 3d. Indoors I shoot Triple Xs, 3d I shoot Victory X Ringers to get up to 280.

The_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road
Default one bow for 3-d and spots

Vantage elite, 64lbs with GT XXX's. 280 fps is all I need for any 3-d and I have no problem shooting 64lbs indoors.

I sure wouldn't use that setup for field though!
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Nope... not even close

Indoors is a game of perfect (where a single miss will put you in the loser category) not speed and 3-D at my level is about yardage estimation (we all can shoot well) I would never shoot a game where I needed to be as fresh on the 60th shot as I was on the first with 60 plus pounds and very few of the top indoor boys are doing that either (most shoot under 50lbs).. Same bow maybe... same limbs never..

And field (112 shots in 4 hrs) or FITA (144 shots) for sure 60 lbs or less..
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Nope... not even close

Indoors is a game of perfect (where a single miss will put you in the loser category) not speed and 3-D at my level is about yardage estimation (we all can shoot well) I would never shoot a game where I needed to be as fresh on the 60th shot as I was on the first with 60 plus pounds and very few of the top indoor boys are doing that either (most shoot under 50lbs).. Same bow maybe... same limbs never..

I shoot the same bow for both... because I'm broke like that.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
I shoot the same bow for both... because I'm broke like that.
Yeah but you shoot fingers so you ain't right anyway...
Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Huntelk

I usually shoot different setups and for years shot weights in the low 50's-even for 3-d. This year after setting up my 3-d bow with the XXX's I had to crank up the poundage to make speed where the arrows weigh 450 grains.

Since we were cold and snowbound the only opportunity for me to get some arrows through the 3-d bow (new strings/cables) before going to Gainesville was to shoot it at indoor league. The bow held better, the pin slowed down, I got better arrow flight, the release felt crisper and my scores went up So I just stayed with it.

I had touble getting good arrow flight out of the XXX's at low poundage.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
I usually shoot different setups and for years shot weights in the low 50's-even for 3-d. This year after setting up my 3-d bow with the XXX's I had to crank up the poundage to make speed where the arrows weigh 450 grains.

Since we were cold and snowbound the only opportunity for me to get some arrows through the 3-d bow (new strings/cables) before going to Gainesville was to shoot it at indoor league. The bow held better, the pin slowed down, I got better arrow flight, the release felt crisper and my scores went up So I just stayed with it.

I had touble getting good arrow flight out of the XXX's at low poundage.
I experienced the same thing.. so I went to Pro 22's for 3-d
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah but you shoot fingers so you ain't right anyway...

Well, ya know, those release gadgets are expensive.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
a/c guy

a/c guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nope... not even close

Javi, with these lower draw weights, how do you keep up the holding weight?
I have a Moneymaker set at 54/55 lbs and the holding weight is only 14/15 lbs. I'm affaid to lower the DW any more because the HW will also drop.
Thanks, Tom
a/c guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
JawsDad

JawsDad is on a distinguished road

I'm going to shoot everything with 1 setup..

Vantage Elite set at a touch over 28.5" and 58#. Shooting Victory Nanoforce arrows. Shoots right at 280 and I can shoot it all day without worry about fatigue. The little arrows already cost me a couple of line cutters on the 3D range. But, when it gets windy, they'll get me a few back I bet..
JawsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #17
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsDad View Post
I'm going to shoot everything with 1 setup..

Vantage Elite set at a touch over 28.5" and 58#. Shooting Victory Nanoforce arrows. Shoots right at 280 and I can shoot it all day without worry about fatigue. The little arrows already cost me a couple of line cutters on the 3D range. But, when it gets windy, they'll get me a few back I bet..
I'm going to set my new Triumph up as a 3-D/field, FITA bow at 55-60 with A/C/C's I might lose a few points on lines in 3-D but that's ok..

For indoors, next year I'm not sure but it won't be more than 50lbs..
Old 03-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
JawsDad

JawsDad is on a distinguished road

I had the chance to lay hands on a Triumph the other day. That new grip is very nice indeed.
JawsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #19
Huntelk

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/c guy View Post
Javi, with these lower draw weights, how do you keep up the holding weight?
I have a Moneymaker set at 54/55 lbs and the holding weight is only 14/15 lbs. I'm affaid to lower the DW any more because the HW will also drop.
Thanks, Tom
This is why the spirals are so popular with the Hoyt guys. Even at 50 lbs draw weight I can still have enough holding weight and a rock-solid wall. That "bounce" you get at the end of the cycle on high let-off eccentrics is gone too!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
a/c guy

a/c guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
This is why the spirals are so popular with the Hoyt guys. Even at 50 lbs draw weight I can still have enough holding weight and a rock-solid wall. That "bounce" you get at the end of the cycle on high let-off eccentrics is gone too!
The Moneymaker is supposed to be 65% LO, so even at 50 lbs the holding weight should be 17lbs, right?
a/c guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/c guy View Post
The Moneymaker is supposed to be 65% LO, so even at 50 lbs the holding weight should be 17lbs, right?
Roughly, plus you can stack a little more by pulling into the wall or using one of the things /i discussed in the pm.. if you want more.. I personally like 20 - 22 lbs.