Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
madarcher427

madarcher427 is on a distinguished road
Default bare shaft tunning

I was shooting today & I had one bare shaft ,so i decided to shoot it .it shot about an inch half high & maybe 3in right .my fletched arrows all it dead center . but this out of a Z7 shooting 68.8 lbs & 400 beman with 100 gr tips at 27" draw . should i go up to 340s .or should I try another bare shaft & see what it does ?
madarcher427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madarcher427 View Post
I was shooting today & I had one bare shaft ,so i decided to shoot it .it shot about an inch half high & maybe 3in right .my fletched arrows all it dead center . but this out of a Z7 shooting 68.8 lbs & 400 beman with 100 gr tips at 27" draw . should i go up to 340s .or should I try another bare shaft & see what it does ?
What distance?
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
madarcher427

Default distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
What distance?
15 yds or so , what distance should I be shooting at?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

Three inches at 15 yards is pretty good. You can step back to 20 or even 30 yards if you want to, but for most shooting, you are close enough.

Before you buy new arrows, adjust your centershot a tiny bit or even turn your draw weight down a little.

However, you could already be perfect. Consistency of spine & straightness with carbon arrows is not as good as we would hope. You could easily be dead on, but the specific bare shaft that you are using isn't close enough to do any better.

Check out posts on group tuning for arrow culling. The short version is: Number your arrows, go to the maximum distance that you can hit a paper plate and shoot until you find the arrows that don't group well with the others. Twist the nocks on these culls and see if they do any better. If not twist them again. If that doesn't work, don't use them for any shooting where you actually want to hit something on purpose.

Good luck
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
madarcher427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Three inches at 15 yards is pretty good. You can step back to 20 or even 30 yards if you want to, but for most shooting, you are close enough.

Before you buy new arrows, adjust your centershot a tiny bit or even turn your draw weight down a little.

However, you could already be perfect. Consistency of spine & straightness with carbon arrows is not as good as we would hope. You could easily be dead on, but the specific bare shaft that you are using isn't close enough to do any better.

Check out posts on group tuning for arrow culling. The short version is: Number your arrows, go to the maximum distance that you can hit a paper plate and shoot until you find the arrows that don't group well with the others. Twist the nocks on these culls and see if they do any better. If not twist them again. If that doesn't work, don't use them for any shooting where you actually want to hit something on purpose.

Good luck
thnk you !
Old 03-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
madarcher427

just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are .I shot 3 bare shaft this time & they all hit 3" to the right .ill probally just turn it down for now & then switch to 340 before deer season
Old 03-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Spring

33 for high today.

68 tommorrow and mid 70,s on Tuesday

Looking good for Paris. WOOOOO HOOO Im so glad this wasnt a week later.

DB