Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
alaz

alaz is on a distinguished road
Default release help

I have recently changed from a wrist strap to a t handle.
I am using the boss x. I really like it, just had it a few days, I feel like this will improve my shooting in the long run..but here is my situation:
I draw back (with my thumb touching the nail on my middle finger), found a comfortable anchor, pin on the target, feeling good at full draw...but I have some problems transitioning my thumb to the trigger.
This might just be a matter of developing muscle memory in that it is a new movement.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I even making sense?
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Few thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I have recently changed from a wrist strap to a t handle.
I am using the boss x. I really like it, just had it a few days, I feel like this will improve my shooting in the long run..but here is my situation:
I draw back (with my thumb touching the nail on my middle finger), found a comfortable anchor, pin on the target, feeling good at full draw...but I have some problems transitioning my thumb to the trigger.
This might just be a matter of developing muscle memory in that it is a new movement.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I even making sense?
Most thumb trigger releases like the Carters and Tru Balls. You should not be hitting the trigger on thumb. I set my thumb there but pull on the fingers and not the thumb to set the release off. If I was to hit my thumb trigger with my thumb, I get a high shot. There designed to be shot like BT release.
DB
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Most thumb trigger releases like the Carters and Tru Balls. You should not be hitting the trigger on thumb. I set my thumb there but pull on the fingers and not the thumb to set the release off. If I was to hit my thumb trigger with my thumb, I get a high shot. There designed to be shot like BT release.
DB
I appreciate the response...but I guess I was not being clear.
My goal is to wrap my thumb around the barrel and use it as back tension. But my problem is anxiety as I move my thumb into position; due to fear of accidently setting it off before I want to, I consciously set it off

I am certain this is a form of target panic, it is like a tic. What I decided on doing is increasing the weight of the trigger. If this doesn't work and relax me...I am going to try a sweet shot II.

But I am still open to suggestions...
BTW... I really do appreciate your help...I have posted questions from time to time...and I find you are often involved in offering ideas.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
hoggin03

hoggin03 is on a distinguished road

Start by setting your trigger weight as high as possible.

1. When drawing, just keep your thumb off the trigger, don't worry where it is otherwise.
2. Draw the bow, lightly place your thumb around the trigger, and anchor in.
3. Once you are settled, pre-load the trigger with a pound or so of pressure (this is why you want a heavy trigger).
4. Once you are preloaded, begin your shooting routine - pull your elbow directly away from the target and allow your hand to yield the pull, causing your thumb to slide back until the release goes off.
hoggin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggin03 View Post
Start by setting your trigger weight as high as possible.

1. When drawing, just keep your thumb off the trigger, don't worry where it is otherwise.
2. Draw the bow, lightly place your thumb around the trigger, and anchor in.
3. Once you are settled, pre-load the trigger with a pound or so of pressure (this is why you want a heavy trigger).
4. Once you are preloaded, begin your shooting routine - pull your elbow directly away from the target and allow your hand to yield the pull, causing your thumb to slide back until the release goes off.
That is my exact goal...I really appreciate all the help.
My only question is in step 2...I tend to anchor before I place my thumb on the trigger...I know this is a little backward...but how bad a habit is it?

Maybe with a heavier setting I would feel more comfortable either way.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
ozzy

ozzy is on a distinguished road

I got to check out the Boss X at the Vegas shoot, very nice. I shoot a Chappy Boss myself. I had a bad habit of punching and went to the Back Tension release. Heres a unit I made up so I could get used to it without actually drawing my bow. Worked great for me. just a bit of arrow with a loop on it. I bought the Chappy Boss used and it had the diamond knob and was mounted in the high position "opposite" of where I have it now. I shoot it like stated above^^^, my thumb just touches the thumb bar, the release is all back tension. It sure cured me of punching and tightened my groups alot. Hope this helps.

General Archery Forum
Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
I got to check out the Boss X at the Vegas shoot, very nice. I shoot a Chappy Boss myself. I had a bad habit of punching and went to the Back Tension release. Heres a unit I made up so I could get used to it without actually drawing my bow. Worked great for me. just a bit of arrow with a loop on it. I bought the Chappy Boss used and it had the diamond knob and was mounted in the high position "opposite" of where I have it now. I shoot it like stated above^^^, my thumb just touches the thumb bar, the release is all back tension. It sure cured me of punching and tightened my groups alot. Hope this helps.

General Archery Forum
This does help... I love the idea. I have been practicing with my daughters hair ties (not in her head at the time...)
My trigger is set in the position that you have yours in the pic.
My goal has been to rest the middle of my thumb (not the tip, but the middle segment) on the trigger, while my thumb tip touched the nail of my index finger...does that sound about right?

BTW, thanks all for the help...sorry for all the questions...just do not want to pick up any bad habits almost all I know locally shoot index finger (most hunters)...plus I am a little slow in the uptake
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
ozzy

I shoot mine with the knob just behind the bend in my thumb and the thumbnail behind the finger next to the thumb "whatever that digit is called" Sounds like what your talking about. Anyhow glad i could help and feel free to ask for help, this place has alot of knowledge and has helped me out.
T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss
Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
gamoboy

gamoboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gamoboy Send a message via Skype™ to gamoboy

i shoot a carter insatiable and what i have learned is to put the trigger close to the knuckle on your thumb and put the tip of your thumb in front of the trigger on the release. if i had a camera i would show you.
CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
Trophy Taker Pronghorn
gamoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
Daniel Boone

Default Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I appreciate the response...but I guess I was not being clear.
My goal is to wrap my thumb around the barrel and use it as back tension. But my problem is anxiety as I move my thumb into position; due to fear of accidently setting it off before I want to, I consciously set it off

I am certain this is a form of target panic, it is like a tic. What I decided on doing is increasing the weight of the trigger. If this doesn't work and relax me...I am going to try a sweet shot II.

But I am still open to suggestions...
BTW... I really do appreciate your help...I have posted questions from time to time...and I find you are often involved in offering ideas.
At my Photo bucket account here you can watch several archers in videos. Even got on of Gamoboy shooting. One can learn alot watching these guys. Ill get some at Paris in the next few days. Bobby Ketcher in the video below. Good pro for a long time.
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=600570-1.flv

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 03-23-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Daniel Boone

Default Gamoboy

Mike caught on to this type of release pretty qiuck.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...icture1412.flv
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
hoggin03

hoggin03 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, there is no better lesson than from George Ryals (GRIV). Here's a link to his site where there is a sample of his DVD that happens to cover drawing, anchoring, activating the release, etc.

http://www.grivtech.com/
hoggin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
alaz

Great videos!
thanks.
Definately helps.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
ozzy

I have to add, if it surprises you that's a good thing.
T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss
Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
alaz

I have been practising on a shoe lace after seeing this videos...using different hand positions...
really helpful...

My last question...for now...
I know it is a personal feel, but 3 fingers or 4?

I started off thinking 4...but the more I do it, the more I am thinking 3 (I own a 4...but have been taking my pinky off lately...
thanks again!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #16
gamoboy

gamoboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gamoboy Send a message via Skype™ to gamoboy

the insatiable i have is a 4 finger and it is swept back so i can not shoot 3 fingers on it. i have shot a 3 finger back tension but not enough to tell if i liked 3 or 4 fingers
CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
Trophy Taker Pronghorn
gamoboy is offline   Reply With Quote