Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Mental Game

How many use Lanny Bashams tapes or have listen to them?

There several good books that talk about the mental side of archery. Some good books in golf and tennis are recommended by Lanny as well.

DB
Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
737crewchief
737crewchief

737crewchief is on a distinguished road
Default Lanny basham

I've read his books ,would love to have his CDs
737crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
mrpibb

mrpibb is on a distinguished road

Lanny has some really good CD's that are worth listening to. A book called Mind Gym is another good read. I read it on the way to Hattie last yr and ended up giving it to a gentlman I shot with that weekend. Can't remember who the author was. Irony huh !!!
mrpibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
bowhunterkdc

bowhunterkdc is on a distinguished road

Heard the cd's and they have a lot of good info and helped to motivate me and helped with my 3d scores as well. I would love to read the book.
bowhunterkdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

X-Shooter-GB is on a distinguished road

I have read with winning in mind and have listened to his archery cds. I really learned a lot about the mental side of archery. They have definitely helped my archery game.
X-Shooter-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
bout

bout is on a distinguished road
Default the best $$ I ever spent

by far .....I have them on my Ipod and listen all the time...
bout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
TomT

TomT is on a distinguished road

All I gotta say is, "if he's so damn smart, why ain't he rich?"
There's nothing "mental" about shooting yesterday when the wind was blowing 30 MPH, making 40 degrees feel like 20, a new course with snags all in your way on every shot, mud 2' deep, and a winning score of 254.
Just separating the men from the boys, is what it is...
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Daniel Boone

Default Lets see

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
There's nothing "mental" about shooting yesterday when the wind was blowing 30 MPH, making 40 degrees feel like 20, a new course with snags all in your way on every shot, mud 2' deep, and a winning score of 254.
Lanny Bassham won a Gold medal in the Olympics. Also a Siver which in turn which taught him to get a mental game. Now he charges $1500.00 for a one on one session. I would say he hasnt done bad for himself.

Now Paris, Tx is coming up and you can bring that A game there and compeat against the best this month.
DB
Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well I 'spect he's done alright for himself... his list of clients from all walks of life, business and sports is pretty impressive..

I've also seen the results of his work in several of the top archery pro including Olympic athletes. The difference in their game after working with Lanny was nothing short of phenomenal.

As for men and boys, come up to Paris this weekend and get you some of them boys....
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Daniel Boone

Default Ironic

In Lanny Tapes he does talk about shooting in adverse conditions and keeping the mental focus. Now for someone like him to shoot on a world class level and succeed says something to myself.

TomT wonder how you would like to compete once ever four years and use your mental game on a world class level. You might need a mental game. Now I would shooting for a Gold medal in the Olympics is shooting with men and not boys. Pressure only some of us can dream about.
DB

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 03-22-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shooter-GB View Post
I have read with winning in mind and have listened to his archery cds. I really learned a lot about the mental side of archery. They have definitely helped my archery game.
+1 Just got done reading them changed my mental game alot
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #12
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
In Lanny Tapes he does talk about shooting in adverse conditions and keeping the mental focus. Now for someone like him to shoot on a world class level and succeed says something to myself.

TomT wonder how you would like to compete once ever four years and use your mental game on a world class level. You might need a mental game. Now I would shooting for a Gold medal in the Olympics is shooting with men and not boys. Pressure only some of us can dream about.
DB
Haven't read his books or seen his videos. Self-help works with some people, others just handle pressure naturally, OR recgonize that "pressure" is all in your head.
If I had the time, I could come up with a line of BS that a population segment would buy and swear by, but I've been in this life too long and seen too much to take people's money on that pretext.
Paris? Maybe next year, or when they come to their senses and allow sliders and 1.5" vanes in Hunter class...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
Daniel Boone

Default Im old enough

Quote:
Haven't read his books or seen his videos. Self-help works with some people, others just handle pressure naturally, OR recgonize that "pressure" is all in your head.
If I had the time, I could come up with a line of BS that a population segment would buy and swear by, but I've been in this life too long and seen too much to take people's money on that pretext.
Paris? Maybe next year, or when they come to their senses and allow sliders and 1.5" vanes in Hunter class...
Now there a class for your slider/vanes in ASA. ASA where you seperate the men from the boys. Super Seniors would give you all you want there. Rules are made and we all must follow them at each ASA. Im also old enough to know you give respect due where its due. Guys like Lanny Bassham who have won on the world class level deserve respect. I also know they have somthing that I want. Nothing has helped my scores more than Lanny Tapes giving me a mental game. Your right you dont need it.
One must first be willing to learn before it would ever help him. Guys like Xquest here and others who have won on the world class level got there mental game down 100% and your right dont need it.
DB
DB
Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

In any student/instructor relationship the student must be receptive to the knowledge in order to benefit. If they are not, both lose…
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #15
Daniel Boone

Default Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
In any student/instructor relationship the student must be receptive to the knowledge in order to benefit. If they are not, both lose…
I wonder if he realizes the pressure is intensed on the national level

Its often easy to sit back and say hey its all BS. But its another thing to step on the national level and win against the best. One thing Lanny certianly makes it easy to understand.
DB
Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

I've watched a bunch of Lanny's older videos. He has a lot of good information. One of these days after I get my "Change" Obama promised I'll have to spring for the new archery specific dvd's. They get an arm and a leg for them!

My biggest dissapointment in Vegas was that Lanny was scheduled to do a seminar there and he never showed up. I was there a half hour early and stayed 20 minutes after it was supposed to start.

The seminars are my favorite part of the weekend and was really bummed that he just blew it off.
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #17
JAVI

I really don't think of Lanny's writings as a self help type of program, he goes far beyond that.

His insight into training and competition thought processes are not merely mental exercises aimed at positive thinking.

He offers a concise and easily implemented systematic approach to not only dealing with the stress of shooting for a world championship but the structure to train mind and body to the level of repetition that can produce winning form.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
bout

bout is on a distinguished road
Default Wow

All I now I toe up with some of the best shooters in the world most cases every other weekend and with out a mental game I could not compete ...I have shot in front of 6000 people all screaming for me ( My knees were just fine until I looked up and saw me smiling on a jumbo tron)

And I shoot in my back yard and I do my best to recreate the pressure ( I need to run for the job I will get back to this in a few hrs)
bout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #19
Daniel Boone

Default Bout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bout View Post
All I now I toe up with some of the best shooters in the world most cases every other weekend and with out a mental game I could not compete ...I have shot in front of 6000 people all screaming for me ( My knees were just fine until I looked up and saw me smiling on a jumbo tron)

And I shoot in my back yard and I do my best to recreate the pressure ( I need to run for the job I will get back to this in a few hrs)
Good shooting once again at indoor nationals. You diffiantly got a good mental game.
DB
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
TMax27

TMax27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bout View Post

I'm gonna start calling you "The Iceman" You are one stone cold X-Slayer
2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja
TMax27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
TomT

Quote:
Now there a class for your slider/vanes in ASA. ASA where you seperate the men from the boys. Super Seniors would give you all you want there. Rules are made and we all must follow them at each ASA. Im also old enough to know you give respect due where its due. Guys like Lanny Bassham who have won on the world class level deserve respect. I also know they have somthing that I want. Nothing has helped my scores more than Lanny Tapes giving me a mental game. Your right you dont need it.
One must first be willing to learn before it would ever help him. Guys like Xquest here and others who have won on the world class level got there mental game down 100% and your right dont need it.
DB
DB
I have the utmost respect for these archers, as I do other professional athletes, and individuals that excell in other forms of sport/science/etc.
I've read all of Larry Wise's books and found nothing "mental" that would assist me.
When I met Fred Bear once in the '70's, I asked him how he aimed at stationary and moving targets, and he said, "just a LOT of practice."
Now, you shoot a stick bow with a rainbow trajectory and can hit CONSISTENTLY out to 40 yards, stationary or moving, and that's the kind of guy I'm gonna take advice from.
And Mike too...because I KNOW he's not a BS'er...
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
JAVI

Quote:
I have the utmost respect for these archers, as I do other professional athletes, and individuals that excell in other forms of sport/science/etc.
I've read all of Larry Wise's books and found nothing "mental" that would assist me.
When I met Fred Bear once in the '70's, I asked him how he aimed at stationary and moving targets, and he said, "just a LOT of practice."
Now, you shoot a stick bow with a rainbow trajectory and can hit CONSISTENTLY out to 40 yards, stationary or moving, and that's the kind of guy I'm gonna take advice from.
Heck Tom, by now you know I've got more BS than a Christmas turkey...
Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Heck Tom, by now you know I've got more BS than a Christmas turkey...
Now I KNOW there's an HEB in Waco with extra Metamucil...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
Daniel Boone

Default Fred Bear

Quote:
Fred Bear had a mental game and achieved it because he practiced quite a bit. Lanny talks about practice and how it becomes almost natural to aim without thinking about it. I have talked with Fred Bear and actually started shooting archery because of him. Whether its hunting or shooting tournaments. Most have some sort of mental preperation whether its shooting tons of arrow where it becomes so normal. Hunting I have mental prepare myself to aim at the lower two thirds and pick a spot on the game. I may sit in the tree for hours consider what to do if the shot comes and walk myself through it. Any shooting sport you got to use a mental side of the shot.

So TomT bring your bow and come shoot Paris. Have fun and show us your mental game. We got a class for everyone there. Heck dont think the super seniors shoot more than 40yrds any way, how hard can it be. And yes Mike knows his stuff.
DB

DB
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #25
TomT

Quote:
Fred Bear had a mental game and achieved it because he practiced quite a bit. Lanny talks about practice and how it becomes almost natural to aim without thinking about it. I have talked with Fred Bear and actually started shooting archery because of him. Whether its hunting or shooting tournaments. Most have some sort of mental preperation whether its shooting tons of arrow where it becomes so normal. Hunting I have mental prepare myself to aim at the lower two thirds and pick a spot on the game. I may sit in the tree for hours consider what to do if the shot comes and walk myself through it. Any shooting sport you got to use a mental side of the shot.

So TomT bring your bow and come shoot Paris. Have fun and show us your mental game. We got a class for everyone there. Heck dont think the super seniors shoot more than 40yrds any way, how hard can it be. And yes Mike knows his stuff.
DB

DB
Hell, I ain't like ya'll idle rich pros, I gotta work. I just take time out occasionally to stick a small paper plate at 70 yards with my old Ovulation with no bars and no surf rod hangin' off the front...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
Daniel Boone

Default Pros

Quote:
Hell, I ain't like ya'll idle rich pros, I gotta work. I just take time out occasionally to stick a small paper plate at 70 yards with my old Ovulation with no bars and no surf rod hangin' off the front...
Who a Pro? Im with the Joes this year and Im a Po Boy and this is in your back Yard. Nothing wrong with the Ovation. Its all good fun and games and good friends. Hopefully next year. I look forward to meeting you and sharing a few arrows on the range.
DB
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #27
cath8r

cath8r is on a distinguished road

I've got the With Winning in Mind and the other Mental Mangament for the shooting Sports CD sets. They are very helpful. I'm a decent archer, no Pro by any means. I found the tapes help me keep it together when I dig myself a little pit when I go on a string of 8's or come up with a bad shot here and there. I found I can pull myself together and come back strong.
They do help get your perspective right and mind working differently.

I'd sell or trade these CD sets if anyone is interested.