Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road
Default Back Tension Question

Do you use back tension for holding steady at full draw & aiming or for getting your release to go off?
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Do you use back tension for holding steady at full draw & aiming or for getting your release to go off?
Both... BT is a way of drawing a bow that allows a smooth relaxed release using only large muscles and little to no anticipation...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

My sight picture is the steadiest (is that a word) using the back tension. If I shoot any release with a trigger, my sight picture has more movement in it. I think it is because I am so focused on aiming instead of shooting.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Both... BT is a way of drawing a bow that allows a smooth relaxed release using only large muscles and little to no anticipation...
How do you transition from holding to executing without disturbing your sight picture?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
How do you transition from holding to executing without disturbing your sight picture?

Thanks

The loading, (or if you prefer the holding) is active pulling going through the shot if you are executing correctly. I don't like the word holding because it implies that the pull stops and then you restart; this couldn't be further from the truth..

The release is prevented from firing by tension in the back of the hand and wrist which does not allow the angle to change, when ready to release the shot simply relax that tension..

There is a lot more to the proper execution of a back tension shot than can be put on paper in a few lines and to properly teach you exactly how it is done is really a one on one process. It can be so easy and fluid if done correctly and so tight and difficult if not; that many simply find another way to execute the shot through manipulation of one manner of another.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default not that I'm any kind of expert but

I draw with the bow in a high shoulder position and put the weight in my back, the muscles in the shoulder blade area.

As I get to full draw and into anchor I try to keep expanding the tension in my back muscles the whole time intil the shot goes off. I try to think that my shot never sits still, if everything goes right I have the feeling that I'm always expanding from the beginning to the follow through in a fluid motion. If my shot stalls I need to let down and start all over.

I use a thumb trigger. I set my thumb on the knob and as I expand, or add tension to my back it puts more pressure on the knob which sets it off.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
alaz

alaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks
That is exactly what I have been working on...and the reason I switched to a thumb trigger and foresee the possibility of a hinge style release.

I am trying make that transition as fluid as possible...
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
The loading, (or if you prefer the holding) is active pulling going through the shot if you are executing correctly. I don't like the word holding because it implies that the pull stops and then you restart; this couldn't be further from the truth..

The release is prevented from firing by tension in the back of the hand and wrist which does not allow the angle to change, when ready to release the shot simply relax that tension..

There is a lot more to the proper execution of a back tension shot than can be put on paper in a few lines and to properly teach you exactly how it is done is really a one on one process. It can be so easy and fluid if done correctly and so tight and difficult if not; that many simply find another way to execute the shot through manipulation of one manner of another.
IMHO there is a lot more here than you may think.

Do you maintain loading aligned with the arrow? As opposed to swinging the elbow back behind your head.

Thanks,
Allen
Old 03-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
JAVI

Quote:
IMHO there is a lot more here than you may think.

Do you maintain loading aligned with the arrow? As opposed to swinging the elbow back behind your head.

Thanks,
Allen
Allen it's a lot easier to explain verbally, so if you want to give me a call later I'll pm you my number and I'll try to explain..