Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road
Default just wondering what you think

if you were to shoot your bow under the 5 grain per pound limit what would happen lets say down to 4 grains . forget about the warranty i know it would be voided if the person confessed .
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

In most cases nothing immediately.. but over a period of hundreds of shots... maybe something you wouldn't like too much..
Old 03-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

so if you had a bow that went to a 32in draw .which way do you think it would be harder on a the bow lets say it was shot at 30 in 70lbs with a 340 grain . now lets shoot that same bow at 32 in with a 350 grain arrow now its shooting 20 fps over the ibo rating the other way it only shooting 3 to 4 ft over ibo . so they say the lighter arrow would cause more problems (how).when i say you im not saying you in paticular.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
XQuest

XQuest is on a distinguished road
Default Light arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
if you were to shoot your bow under the 5 grain per pound limit what would happen lets say down to 4 grains . forget about the warranty i know it would be voided if the person confessed .
My experience with them is a possibility of splintering immediatly or fatigue factor later.At any rate once you get to light they won't group worth a darn.I go with the 5gr and use the AA program as much as possible.Also found that heavier arrows still group,just don't get there as quick.
Dean
XQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

If the arrow is properly spined for the bow so that the danger of it shattering from over bending is negated, then the danger of damage is the effect of stored energy going back into the bow upon release.. That is after all what a dryfire is... there is no arrow to absorb the energy produced by the bow..

An arrow which is within the 5 grains per pound ie... a 350 grain arrow at 70lbs and 32" of draw is by theory safe to shoot. But in practical experience there is a lot of energy that is lost back into the bow.. this is the very reason that a heavier arrow is quieter and smoother than a light arrow fired from the same bow..

So... I guess the answer to your question is... one is ok under the stated warranty and the other isn't... which does more damage to the bow.. probably not a big difference in the real world..