Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
McCann

McCann is on a distinguished road
Default What would it take to.....

Have Delta Mckenzie and the ASA put out photio realistic copies of their targets?

here is my line of thought. My club has 2 half Field Ranges. one will recieve a little love when i get back from South America. the other 2 are ready to shoot as we speak. Anyway. The Red and White Ranges have all of the mandated stakes present and accounted for. Granted i believe we have 4 shoots mismarked. Fixing these is part iof the "love" the courses will recieve when i return form Peru. Anyway the 3rd Range was basically dead until I rebuilt it. At little to NO cost for the club by the way. Anywho this ranges has become just a walk through range currently the NFAA Animal targets hang on the butts. Now I enjoy field archery. the Field Round.. cool the Hunter Round.. cool the Animal Round.... give me a freaking break! the 20 ring encompasses 2/3rds of most of the animals. the draws are straight 1970 if you place the "dot" where the NFAA tells you to it is dead center in the middle of the 20 ring so if you are just out you only drop a point.

Now if the ASA and McKenzie put out life sized, photo realistic target faces of their approved ranges then i and the rest of the ASA shooting world would have some thing affordable to practice on. Think about it. If each of these were say $8 bucks then for $240 you could have all 30 animals for the ASA ranges to practice on day in day out. That beats the roughly $4000 grand it would cost to buy all 30 3D targets.

Now at Tri County I know there is no way Huntelk would allow me to expose $4000 grand worth of new 3D targets to the elements. Really the dude SQUEEKS when he walks! J/K! However, I would nearly foot the bill for the photo targets. especially if they are made like some of the newer Field Faces that are tough as nails and aren't fodder for the local birds nests!

What would it take to make this happen?

And before anyone gets on there THE ASA IS ABOUT #D DANG IT horse... I ain't saying that the ASA should go into the Field Archery buisness full time. What I'm saying is that if we all had access to decent inexpensive target faces then the ASA would again be heads and tails above the NFAA. Then if they came out and beat the NFAA at there on game.... that would be funny!

Marc

again any buddy on a high horse that thinks I speak blasphomy on either 3D or Field hammer away. I will be in the desert of Peru for the next 10 days. Limited internet access, work can't call.....

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

among the pros that bonus point dot is very often deciding factor for the whole tournament nowadays... Hit all 28 of them on the first arrow and win the whole sheebang...

Except to get ready for the nationals nobody around here even shoots the animals.. field and hunter pretty much every weekend..
Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
among the pros that bonus point dot is very often deciding factor for the whole tournament nowadays... Hit all 28 of them on the first arrow and win the whole sheebang...

Except to get ready for the nationals nobody around here even shoots the animals.. field and hunter pretty much every weekend..
That is kinda my point Javi. In this area I know that one club has a Field Shoot a week or two weeks ahead of Nationals and that is literally the extent of Field Archery in the immediate area. I think clubs could get more use out McKenzie ASA target than they do the photo buck targets or the Animal Round targets.

Marc
Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCann View Post
That is kinda my point Javi. In this area I know that one club has a Field Shoot a week or two weeks ahead of Nationals and that is literally the extent of Field Archery in the immediate area. I think clubs could get more use out McKenzie ASA target than they do the photo buck targets or the Animal Round targets.

Marc

I'm sure you know that 3-D sprung from the animal round, and because of 3-D it has gone the way of the dodo bird...

I think I understand your purpose in wanting the ASA paper targets, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.. at most clubs the two are mutually exclusive.. which stems from all the field ranges that were destroyed to create 3-D ranges..

Happily I'm seeing a turnaround and several 3-D ranges are reviving the field courses in my area.. I never really understood why the two couldn't co-exist...

I can remember clubs having competitions on almost every weekend and some summer evenings.. now you're lucky if a club holds one event a month..
Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

"Tightwad" huh... I'll show you tightwad!

I would love to see field make a comeback. It is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable games I've ever played.

Were it not for McCann's diligence, field would have died at our club. We have a beautiful course and offer "next to free" endless shooting opportunity even for non-members.

There are a lot of things that contribute to field being on "life-support". Spot shooting as a whole has struggled in our area.

Being an "archer" first and a "3-Der" second, I have to pinch the pennies we rob from 3-D income and try to turn them into dimes to pay for the other struggling venues.

All we can do is keep providing affordable opportunity, get the word out, help the new shooters, make the old shooters feel important and "welcome" and above all make it fun for everyone.

Different people have different motivating factors and we will never please everyone.

As long as I am there though, we will never stop trying to promote the sport.

On another note, I hope we get at least 20 shooters to come to the 600/1200 outdoor spot shoot. I really enjoyed that shoot in Yankton last year!
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
"Tightwad" huh... I'll show you tightwad!

I would love to see field make a comeback. It is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable games I've ever played.

Were it not for McCann's diligence, field would have died at our club. We have a beautiful course and offer "next to free" endless shooting opportunity even for non-members.

There are a lot of things that contribute to field being on "life-support". Spot shooting as a whole has struggled in our area.

Being an "archer" first and a "3-Der" second, I have to pinch the pennies we rob from 3-D income and try to turn them into dimes to pay for the other struggling venues.

All we can do is keep providing affordable opportunity, get the word out, help the new shooters, make the old shooters feel important and "welcome" and above all make it fun for everyone.

Different people have different motivating factors and we will never please everyone.

As long as I am there though, we will never stop trying to promote the sport.

On another note, I hope we get at least 20 shooters to come to the 600/1200 outdoor spot shoot. I really enjoyed that shoot in Yankton last year!
So were you able to shoot at all this evening or was it all about the potty training? ya gotta love the little one and remember that this won't last forever. next thing you now Anya will be telling you about this Disney singer who is sssooooo cute! thats where I am now. My little kid is becoming a girl and its KILLING ME!

I do have you and Matt down for stoges from Lima.

Marc
Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
I'm sure you know that 3-D sprung from the animal round, and because of 3-D it has gone the way of the dodo bird...

I think I understand your purpose in wanting the ASA paper targets, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.. at most clubs the two are mutually exclusive.. which stems from all the field ranges that were destroyed to create 3-D ranges..

Happily I'm seeing a turnaround and several 3-D ranges are reviving the field courses in my area.. I never really understood why the two couldn't co-exist...

I can remember clubs having competitions on almost every weekend and some summer evenings.. now you're lucky if a club holds one event a month..
I'm waiting for that turn around to get this far north Javi. but i don't anticipate it happening any time soon. to many around here are skeereed of the 80wu.

Marc
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCann View Post
So were you able to shoot at all this evening or was it all about the potty training? ya gotta love the little one and remember that this won't last forever. next thing you now Anya will be telling you about this Disney singer who is sssooooo cute! thats where I am now. My little kid is becoming a girl and its KILLING ME!

I do have you and Matt down for stoges from Lima.

Marc

Two and a half hours at the club and I shot 9 arrows.
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote