Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
jim p

jim p is on a distinguished road
Default Glued in nib

If I wanted to experiment with nib weight and I have arrows which have the nibs glued in with gold tip epoxy am I out of luck. These arrows are xxx and have 150 grain tips so they are probably very good for spots. I might want to go to a lighter tip for 3d if possible. If I can't go to a lighter tip then I will have to be dead on with my yardage estimation. In my class I only have to shoot out to 30 yards so maybe I can just nail the yardage.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
ba3darcher

ba3darcher is on a distinguished road

heat the nib only and you can get them out even though they have been glued with gold tip glue.
ba3darcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
jim p

Great. I am guessing that you have to go slow and heat a little and then see if the nib will move. If it does not move apply just a little more heat and try again and repeat until you can get it to break loose.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Get a long rod that will fit inside the shaft... and thump the back of the insert with it.. I use an old rifle cleaning rod..
Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
jim p

Will the long rod break the nib loose without having to use any heat?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
jim p

I still haven't gotten the torch out to see if I can remove the nibs. I tried to gently remove the pin nock bushing and it does not want to move with gentle persuasion so I am thinking that it is epoxied in also. So now I really need some expert strategy on how to disassemble these arrows. I need a step by step procedure of how to get the arrow apart. It was assembled using the Gold Tip glue. Is this a question that should be run by gold tip or does someone have a tried and true procedure that wont let me down?

I apologize if I have offended anyone by not just trying some of the above suggestions but I really want to know that I understand what is going to be required for me to get these arrows apart.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
ba3darcher

ba3darcher is on a distinguished road

I had some 90 gr nibs put in some xcutters with goldtip glue, heated the nibs with a torch being careful to only heat the tip of nib. I did this on 15 arrows and only had problems with one. I added 30 gr of weight to the nibs and glued back in with goldtip glue. Tried these for a couple weeks, then pulled them out again using same method and replaced with 110 gr nibs. never had any problem. no offense taking if doubtful of this procedure.lol
ba3darcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
jim p

Well I feel silly now. I just heated one of the nibs a little while holding onto the carbon to tell if the carbon was getting hot. When I felt a little heating of the carbon I tried to remove the nib and it came out with no problem.

Thanks for helping me over come this giant obstacle.