Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
jim p

jim p is on a distinguished road
Default How do you aim?

When shooting dots, my pin sometimes almost fades away and I will bring my focus back to it and it will reappear. Then I will direct my attention back to the x. I don't think that this is a good way to sight so I want to know how you experienced shooters aim.

I think that I also do this when shooting 3d but I know in 3d that I have to put more attention on the target than the pin because it is so hard for me to determine where the 12 ring is located on the target.

I think that it is always best to look at the target but when the pin fades, then I feel like I just have to bring it back into focus. I shoot back tension so I think that I am probably stopping the shot process and restarting when I have this sighting problem.

Maybe I need to get a light and light the pin up so that the fading is eliminated.

All thoughts are appreciated.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Forget about the pin unless that is what you're trying to hit.. your brain will handle it...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
jim p

jim p is on a distinguished road

Ok. Sometimes when it fades out, I think about just taking them out of the pin housing and just using the housing for a big ring sight.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p View Post
Ok. Sometimes when it fades out, I think about just taking them out of the pin housing and just using the housing for a big ring sight.
Except for 3D and hunting that's pretty much what i do... I use a TrueSpot lens in my scope... for 3D & hunting I use a pin so tht I can transpose am aim point onto my target...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
TomT

TomT is on a distinguished road

Too much magnification in 3-D can screw you up, IMHO. Lighting in indoor shoots is usually poor, so I put a light on my HHA slider and it helps.
Try speeding up your shot so when the pip settles on the "X" you have already started your squeeze.
Just my $.02 worth...
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
Too much magnification in 3-D can screw you up, IMHO. Lighting in indoor shoots is usually poor, so I put a light on my HHA slider and it helps.
Try speeding up your shot so when the pip settles on the "X" you have already started your squeeze.
Just my $.02 worth...
That's a dangerous habbit to start.............sound like a drive by method.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Jason-R

Jason-R is on a distinguished road

Im like JAVI. Indoors I shoot a true spot lens so all i am focusing on is the x. 3d I have a pin but once i find a spot on the target to shoot for I ohnestly couldnt tell you if I ever see the pin again or not. Im sure I see it some cuz its there but I think I mostly focus on the spot I want to hit.
Jason-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

I'm reworking my aiming this summer. My main problem has been lack of focus on the target. A coach that most would respect told me to do it like this:

First - drill on the blank bale focusing only on the sight picture. See the scope and pin lined up the way they should be. This gets you in the habit of having your head / eye position in the right place. Don't pay attention to where your arrow lands. Just make sure it's in the bale and not slapping into the other arrows. The idea is to make the proper eye - peep - scope - target alignment subconscious.

Second - begin shooting at large targets close up and gradually work back in short increments, 2 to 3 yards. Focus totally on the target and let the back end of the shot run subconsciously. The phrase he used was to mentally "build a road" road to the target. He also said that I shouldn't put too much emphasis on aiming since it is only one part of a good shot. Hopefully, when I get there, I'll understand this apparent conflict.

Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
That's a dangerous habbit to start.............sound like a drive by method.
Different strokes fer different folks son...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
Different strokes fer different folks son...
Your right pops, stroke it anyway you want.......

I'm just sayin....not to many people can control a "drive by shooting" technique for very long.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Your right pops, stroke it anyway you want.......

I'm just sayin....not to many people can control a "drive by shooting" technique for very long.
Gracias. I ain't "many people...."