Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 05-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buck Growl deer call Video

Here is the video that is going on our online store. It is produced with permission from Kolpin/MAD. No duplication without permission.

Buck Growl Video by MAD
It's about 7mb so on a high speed cable connection it should take about 1 minute to download. If your on dialup, prepare to wait.

I hope everyone enjoys it. I kind of chopped it up a bit so it would not be so long for the web. When you buy the call you get the full mini DVD with 2 nice bow kills by Mark Drury.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, no comments on the video?

Was it ok, bad, can't download, any comments?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Just saw it, I am at the shop and he has highspeed, that is crazy stuff right there, do you think it is just to sell a new item???
Old 05-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

No, I don't think it's just a marketing ploy. If that were true they would loose all credibility and that would kill their video market. I really don't believe they would risk their future sales for a marketing gimick.

I think they are on to something. But just like any call, it has to be used in the right way at the right time of year with the right buck to doe ratio. No call or scent works in every situation.

You can bet this call will be in my pack this fall.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Your probably right, You must have a better buck to doe ratio in your area than we have here. We have about 10 does to 1 buck in my area at this point. I have never heard or seen of any one taking a deer in my hunting areas w/the use of rattiling attlers, or any of the aggression calls out there.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough
Default WoW!!!

Man that is an awesome video. If I was that guy I probably would have passed out seeing all those bucks coming in. My buddies would have come to my stand and found me hanging by my harness. That was some incredible footage. The Drury brothers seem to get really excited about alot of things but I think that they have perfectly good reason to with this product. I think that I may have to stop in and get one before season. Maybe I won't get skunked this year

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Chris
Administrator

Mark, kills two nice deer using the call in the video. I didn't put that up there though. Both deer brought right in to point blank range.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
rbaugh

rbaugh is on a distinguished road
Default Buck Growl

This is Rich Baugh and I was the lucky guy who captured the footage of the buck growling in Pike county last fall and had all the bucks come in. I can tell you that this is no gimmick. I can't wait to use the call this year.

It's funny, most people have never heard a deer make this sound before, but in Pike, Adams, Brown, and Schuler counties in Illinois last year, at least 6 of my friends heard it. I had a buck doing it in Adams county about a week after i filmed the deer in Pike. Had I not seen the buck in the video doing it, I would have never associated the sound with a deer. It's very loud.
rbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
Chris
Administrator

Rich,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. That is some amazing footage. You were in the right place at the right time that's for sure. I bet it is something you will never forget. As hunters we get to see some neat stuff but your experience was exceptional.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
rbaugh

Chris,

You're right. Even though I was already tagged out and couldn't shoot a buck, it was the most memorable day I've ever spent in the woods and I'll never forget it.

I haven't seen the article yet, but my friend, Bobby Worthington, just wrote and article for North American Whitetail magazine about the buck growl. He interviewed a lot of folks for this, so it should be informative.

Take Care,

Rich Baugh
Midwest Whitetail Land Company
Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Chris
Administrator

Can't wait to get my hands on the article. I'm sure one of the big questions will be why hasn't this sound been recorded before now.

I can tell you that call will be in my backpack this fall! I'm headed back to the Golden Triangle in Illinois this fall with Western Illinois Trophy Outfitters
Old 06-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Lil_tine

Lil_tine is on a distinguished road
Default Buck Growl

Rich,

I saw the video last week. I was mermerized by the sound and would have never associated with a deer. I live in East Elgin Illinois. I see alot of deer out in the fields. But I cam't wait to try this season! That much have been the moist exhilarating experience for you.

Last edited by Lil_tine; 06-28-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Lil_tine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
rbaugh

Yes, it was an incredible experience. I got some of the buck growl calls last week and have given them to some friends. Not only do they make the growl sound, they make the best sounding grunts I've ever heard. Can't wait to try them this fall.

Good luck!

Rich
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
muzzy

muzzy is on a distinguished road

I live in northcentral PA. I heard that growling sound approximately 2 years ago during the rut. It sounded like someone with a deep, hoarse cough, and I actually was going to get out of the tree to investigate because I had a problem with trespassers that year. I heard it about three times and was about to get out of the tree when I saw a doe run out of the corn followed by several small buck. The deer disappeared in a thicket. I heard the sound again, and there were does and buck running everywhere. Then this hot doe came running out of the thicket and ran underneath my tree. I heard that sound again and it was close. I thought King Kong was going to step out any second and out came this buck with 1-1/2" spikes. Whatever the sound meant, it certainly got the woods fired up. Great encounter.
muzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:32 AM   #15
Mattburk69

Mattburk69 is on a distinguished road
Default Nice Video, Rich!

Rich, I saw your video on the CD that came with my buck growl which I ordered after reading an article in NA Whitetail magazine. I believe this to be a great new call in our hunting area, if used at the proper time of year.
I used to hunt with Hadley Creek, out of the South Camp with Rod and had some great hunts. I assume, hearing that you are from Tennessee, that you are part owner of some property with a group of guys. If so, I believe I hunted your land a couple years ago, and one of your partners was guiding me when I killed a nice 9-point. I, along with three partners, now have 400 acres of my own just off HWY 104 in Adams county, directly across the road from an 80 that Stacey Ward owns and leased last year to some guys from Tennessee. Not you, is it? Its a long trip from Saginaw, Michigan, but well worth it when we're chasing the bruiser bucks. Cannot wait to try the buck growl in a couple months. Good luck.
Mattburk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #16
ALTHTOYS

ALTHTOYS is on a distinguished road

I can't seem to veiw the video on my mac. If someone has this in a avi format that would be great. I think this is a windows media file is it not?

Cheers,
Bob
ALTHTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #17
cuttinbucks

cuttinbucks is on a distinguished road
Default buck growl

Rich,

when was the article in north american whitetail? Also i cannot stop watching the video it is by far the most amazing footage i have ever seen. To me your footage is more amazing than drury footage , the growl you caught on film sounds like a giant gorrilla! Truly amazing , you are a lucky man
cuttinbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:50 AM   #18
rbaugh

Mattburk69,

I'm not sure who has the 80 leased? Must be someone else from TN. I've moved to SE Iowa and am working for the Midwest Whitetail Land Company selling hunting property over here.

Glad you got a nice one off our farm. Who was guiding you? Was it Allen or David? I think they both had guys get 9-pointers that year.

Best of luck this year.

Rich
Old 08-26-2006, 04:53 AM   #19
rbaugh

cuttinbucks,

Thanks! I was very blessed to have experienced and filmed the growling episode last year. I'll never forget it!

I've moved to Iowa and can't wait to try the growl over here this year.

Rich
Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #20
fatboy95
Get In My Belly!

fatboy95 is on a distinguished road

First post here nice site...

I made my first bow kill last year on a mature 8 point buck.. between 4-5 years old. I ended up shotting a little high and hit him in the middle of the back. Broke his spine and he dropped. But when I shot him he made that exact sound. Kinda creeped me out for second cause I had never heard a deer make that kind of sound. I didn't have any other deer come out of the woods tho..
fatboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #21
Sodbuster

Sodbuster is on a distinguished road
Default Deer Growl

I'm here in SE Minnesota, and I first heard the object of my pursuit make this sound about 400 yds down the draw where I was sitting on the first weekend of archery season here.(Sept 24) I thought I was hearing a large, sick bird or a dying cow.

This last weekend, I spent the late afternoon in a stand in the area where I had heard the sound come from last weekend. About three or four minutes after a doe and her two yearling fawns walked away from a spot where they entered a trail about 15 yards away from my stand, a buck that I didn't even know was there cut loose in the bushes about 5-6 feet away from where the doe and the fawns had been, and gave me about 4-5 of these growls or screams I had heard last weekend. I'm sure the buck was not in the bushes when the doe and fawn went by, because they showed absolutely no indication that they thought any other deer were around, and they mosied away, completely unperturbed as if they had all the time in the world; I think he might have been hanging out a little to my right and little ways up a wooded hillside. There was NO DOUBT it was the same sound, and it instantly got every hair on the back of my neck at full attention. It was LOUD, (like I said, the previous weekend he was about 4-500 yards away) and had a highly emotional quality to it. Although I couldn't see his rack, I did see his tail as he headed the same way as the doe and fawns. This for you guys out there who are skeptics about this. I can understand that, because I've been watching deer for over 40 years, and I've never heard or witnessed anything like this before, and I probably wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't seen it myself. But it is real. And my experience seems to indicate it's not a fluke or freak occurrence either.

This was in the same time period (5:30-6:00 PM) and from the same area I had heard it the previous weekend. Seems to be some regular pattern going on here.

What's puzzling about this, now that I know what this sound is, is when it is happening. The rut isn't even supposed to get started around here for at least several more weeks, and there are no substantial signs of it beginning anywhere else, and I've covered a lot of ground around here. So do I keep the call in the pocket for the time being?
Sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
Your probably right, You must have a better buck to doe ratio in your area than we have here. We have about 10 does to 1 buck in my area at this point. I have never heard or seen of any one taking a deer in my hunting areas w/the use of rattiling attlers, or any of the aggression calls out there.
I'm with the rabbit on this one.

If your hunting your 400 or 800 acres with little or no pressure it probably works like a champ, but out here in the real world where there's 4 or 5 hunters on every 20 acres and everyone of them are blowing a grunt tube or rattling the latest bag, as soon as you hit a grunt or rattle a horn any deer that was lucky enough to live through one deer season is going the other way.

TV vs reality
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote