Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
bunxx
bunxx

bunxx is on a distinguished road
Default longbow technique

im new here, so for the brief intro first, my names brandon, i was born and raised in houston. love to hunt, naturally. ive used my fred bear compound the last 4 years, and decided to try something different

i just bought a PSE Sequoia Longbow, seemed like a decent starting longbow to learn the basics and get use to.

so the questions:

correct stance...do i put 3 fingers under the nock as ive read some places, or split them 2 under and 1 on top?

did you learn by gap shooting or just firing instinctively? just point me in the right direction and ill go from there

and if any of yall live in the houston/sugarland area, wouldnt mind getting some advice at a local shooting ranch from ya

thanks
bunxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
bunxx
bunxx

bunxx is on a distinguished road

no one!?
bunxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

It seems almost everyone here shoots strictly compounds.

You'll likely get more response on one of the traditional archery forums. Try TradTalk, TradGang or Stickbow forums. For longbow look for posts by Steve Morley. He won the IFAA longbow world championship. Also Larry Yien, who's one of the top US longbow archers. Both are great guys who will answer your questions.

I shoot a longbow a little, but I'm nowhere near the class of these guys. But to answer your questions:

IFAA rules require the split finger, but for all other competition that I know of, the only requirement is that the index finger has to be in contact with the arrow. Most archers will do better with 3 under, but it is really a personal preference.

The two general techniques for aiming a longbow are Instinctive and Gap. I've read a lot about instinctive and come to the conclusion that it is simply subconscious gap. So you may as well start off with gap. It will eventually become instinctive. The best explanation of gap aiming I've seen is by Rod Jenkins on the Masters of the Bare Bow DVD #1. MBB #3 also has a huge amount of good information from both Rod & Larry Yien. The entire series is well worth the price for a beginning long bow archer.

Hope this helps,

Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Allen. Morley, Jenkins, Yien, and the masters of the bow series. Those 3 guys have most of it covered, and 2 of the 3 hunt too as well as shoot tournaments.