Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough
Default Folks in the know – Hoyt Competition Bows

Hoyt

What have you seen to be the most common bows used for?

3D – most popular bow and cam setup

Field -- most popular bow and cam setup

Indoor -- most popular bow and cam setup

Three different venues and yes some bows may cross over, but what are some of the most popular setups that tend to rise to the top. With that the most popular Hoyt bow and cam choices and why they tend to be used?

JDX--

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

They are all the same in all the venues in all honesty.....most of the guys that shoot a bow for one venue be it indoors, field, FITA or 3D will shoot the same bow for another venue. At least when your talking about better shooters. Accuracy is the key....so if you shoot a Pea Shooter 2000 the best for field more then likely that is going to be what you are gonna shoot best for indoors also....same goes for 3D. Your better shooters aren't going to shoot one bow for field or indoors and then switch to an Alphaburner for 3D because its faster. The speed limit for ASA is 280 fps....I haven't had a Hoyt in the past 8 years that I couldn't get 280 from and I only shoot a 27.75" draw....and until last spring I pretty much always shot a Pro Elite for target which is the slowest bow Hoyt made.

All that being said most of your target shooters that shoot a Hoyt are shooting a Contender Elite or a Vantage Elite (or the non elite version)....unless they are still shooting a Pro or Ultra Elite. Limb length is just going to depend on how long of a bow you like if your shooting the Contender or the Ultra or Pro....same with the cams. Do you like an aggressive cam or not? But in target circles to me it seems like way more people shoot a spiral then the cam 1/2 at least at bigger shoots....local leagues it's about even since your avg or below avg shooter can't always handle a spiral. 3D wise though more people shoot spirals.

Now of course you are going to see a lot of guys shooting 3D with "other" bows simply because you have a lot of guys using hunting bow and shorter bows.....but for the most part most of the target guys are shooting the more traditional target bows. That being said though I sold my PEs and am now shooting a Katera XL for field, indoors and 3D.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Chequamegon
Cricket Spitting Champ

Chequamegon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
Hoyt

What have you seen to be the most common bows used for?

3D – most popular bow and cam setup

Field -- most popular bow and cam setup

Indoor -- most popular bow and cam setup

Three different venues and yes some bows may cross over, but what are some of the most popular setups that tend to rise to the top. With that the most popular Hoyt bow and cam choices and why they tend to be used?

JDX--
Interesting questions Jeff......don't have an answer for you.....just reading between the lines.

Eric
Chequamegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

couldnt tell you whats most popular for field but it seems to me that the most popular bow for spots is still the single cam and for 3- would be the hybrid- bynary cam for the speed.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
couldnt tell you whats most popular for field but it seems to me that the most popular bow for spots is still the single cam and for 3- would be the hybrid- bynary cam for the speed.
Maybe in your neck of the woods....but if you go to any bigger spot shoots be it field, indoors, or FITA Hoyt pretty much out #s everything by a WIDE margin....and they haven't made a single cam in about 8 years

Even in my league....I shoot with Braden G who is shooting for Mathews now.....he has one of the ONLY single cam bows. Probably out numbered 5-6 to 1.....shooting field the #s are even worse.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
They are all the same in all the venues in all honesty.....most of the guys that shoot a bow for one venue be it indoors, field, FITA or 3D will shoot the same bow for another venue. At least when your talking about better shooters. Accuracy is the key....so if you shoot a Pea Shooter 2000 the best for field more then likely that is going to be what you are gonna shoot best for indoors also....same goes for 3D. Your better shooters aren't going to shoot one bow for field or indoors and then switch to an Alphaburner for 3D because its faster. The speed limit for ASA is 280 fps....I haven't had a Hoyt in the past 8 years that I couldn't get 280 from and I only shoot a 27.75" draw....and until last spring I pretty much always shot a Pro Elite for target which is the slowest bow Hoyt made.

All that being said most of your target shooters that shoot a Hoyt are shooting a Contender Elite or a Vantage Elite (or the non elite version)....unless they are still shooting a Pro or Ultra Elite. Limb length is just going to depend on how long of a bow you like if your shooting the Contender or the Ultra or Pro....same with the cams. Do you like an aggressive cam or not? But in target circles to me it seems like way more people shoot a spiral then the cam 1/2 at least at bigger shoots....local leagues it's about even since your avg or below avg shooter can't always handle a spiral. 3D wise though more people shoot spirals.

Now of course you are going to see a lot of guys shooting 3D with "other" bows simply because you have a lot of guys using hunting bow and shorter bows.....but for the most part most of the target guys are shooting the more traditional target bows. That being said though I sold my PEs and am now shooting a Katera XL for field, indoors and 3D.

Horse Puckey!!!

All spiral cams are good for is ripping your shoulder out of wack and putting arrows in the ceiling.

Cam .5 rules.

For 3d I'm guessing the AlphaElite is going to be a hot item. Looks like a good cross between a target bow and a speed bow. Can't wait to get my hands on one and see if it lives up to my expectations.

Indoor and Field, Hard to beat a Contender Elite. Very stable and easy shooting bow with enough speed to get the job done. I had a Vantage Elite and it just never held as well as my old ProElite, even after I ripped off those nasty spiral cams, the contender has the same feel as the old proelite.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Brown Hornet

Why are you drawing at the ceiling?

Spirals are no more aggressive then binaries....actually A LOT less aggressive....and when they are setup correctly if you don't shoot a weak shot and maintain back tension like you should spirals are no more likely to make someone creep then any other cam will In fact most people will probably find that they are less likely to have these issues if they shoot a spiral cam then a cam. 5 (I hate that cam in comparison to just about all the other cams they make).
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
PSE310

PSE310 is on a distinguished road
Default spirals vs.binaries

They are different spirls have a middle hump with more hold. Binaries have a harder hump with less hold or the ones I have shot are this way.Spirals will take you up, binaries you have a hard time letting them up.It all depend's on what you like!
PSE310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE310 View Post
They are different spirls have a middle hump with more hold. Binaries have a harder hump with less hold or the ones I have shot are this way.Spirals will take you up, binaries you have a hard time letting them up.It all depend's on what you like!
That's because they have so much let off.....high let off makes all cams harder to let down. Doesn't matter if its a big round smooth single cam, a binary, spiral or a regular cam .5

If you shoot a high letoff bow and then switch to a spiral your going to have an issue with wanting to creep or your going to have the "it wants to rip my shoulder off feel" There is a BIG difference shooting 60-65% vs 75-80%.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
PSE310

PSE310 is on a distinguished road
Default This I Know!

I know what your saying! I have owned both! I have owned some very agressive bow's. There is so much different's between the two it's like night and day.I don't want a bow that I have to pull into to keep it from folding me up. That's why I don't own a Hoyt any more.Hoyt makes a great bow and the spirals are great cams but not for a guy thats 46 years old and been shooting for 32 years.
PSE310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
That's because they have so much let off.....high let off makes all cams harder to let down. Doesn't matter if its a big round smooth single cam, a binary, spiral or a regular cam .5

If you shoot a high letoff bow and then switch to a spiral your going to have an issue with wanting to creep or your going to have the "it wants to rip my shoulder off feel" There is a BIG difference shooting 60-65% vs 75-80%.

Cam .5 plus comes in 65% let off.
Come on Hornet, just because we don't shoot what you shoot doesn't mean were wrong.
I ve been shoot 65% let off for the last 4 years or so, spirals just don't fit my shooting style. I start out relaxed into the wall, steady the pin, aim, and build tension from there intil the shot goes off. With spirals you can't relax at the start of your shot which puts tension in your shot before you even start aiming. The extra tension at the beginning of the shot never lets the pin settle.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Brown Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Cam .5 plus comes in 65% let off.
Come on Hornet, just because we don't shoot what you shoot doesn't mean were wrong.
I ve been shoot 65% let off for the last 4 years or so, spirals just don't fit my shooting style. I start out relaxed into the wall, steady the pin, aim, and build tension from there intil the shot goes off. With spirals you can't relax at the start of your shot which puts tension in your shot before you even start aiming. The extra tension at the beginning of the shot never lets the pin settle.
Who said you were wrong....don't read into what I am saying. In fact with a cam that is like the cam .5 I am more likely to creep because they cause me to relax too much or I guess I should say they allow me to be able to relax too much and not shoot a strong shot. I shoot a pretty strong and aggressive shot....and my pin settles way better then it does when I shoot a more relaxed shot. HUGE difference.

Besides I don't even shoot spirals anymore....haven't in almost a full year but when it comes to target shooting....doesn't matter what venue I see more bows with spirals then the regular cam .5 and what you quoted fits what PSE310 was talking about.....when MOST people go to a spiral they struggle because they aren't used to that type of shot or they are used to higher letoff....of course there are people like you that prefer the sifter cam that's why they make more then one cam....
Old 01-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

All they need to do is back the bow off a few pounds until the rollover and holding weight fits perfect to their strength and shot sequence.

The whole idea behind this thread, as well as the Mathews thread is to pass some info on to the folks that are trying to decide on a bow.

We all can see who is shooting well and what color shirt they have on but for the most part that’s all they see. Discussions like this enable these folks to find out what bow and cam combination is popular and or different bows being the norm in a certain venues. This in turn will inform folks that are shopping, what cream rises to the top and how it’s set up on the average.

This could be a good reference thread for folks

JDX--

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote