Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default DNR shooting deer right next to school?

This was just sent to me via email.
What do you think of this? All in the name of CWD.

As a hunter, license purchaser and tax payer, it seems we have no say in what the DNR does. They do what they want, when they want and have nobody to answer to, especially us the taxpayers.

Why should I have to pay for a deer tag when their goal is to shoot as many as possible with no tag restrictions or bag limits?
Why should they be allowed to bait deer when it is illegal for me to do the same?
Why should they be allowed to use rifles when it is illegal for me to do the same?
Why should they be allowed to hunt at night when it is illegal for me to do the same?

In 2009 the deer harvest was low, the DNR stated it was because there was so much standing corn and the deer were hiding in it. This year we had a harvest count that was even lower and you had 99% of the crops harvested. It should have been the best deer harvest we have seen in years but it was lower than 2009.

If the DNR in your state slaughtered thousands of deer in your area, would you be pissed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg willowbrook-school-deer-sho.jpg (86.1 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Chris; 01-31-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This was just sent to me via email.
What do you think of this? All in the name of CWD.
Darn kids must be feeding them. We know all CWD is caused from feeding deer.

Good way to teach kids how deer hunting works!
DB
Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Bull Run

Bull Run is on a distinguished road

Feel free to come take a look at it yourself Chris (from my house). They are less than 300 yards from my bedroom window, shooting towards my house with only a narrow woods between us. This is the second year in a row that the DNR has poached deer in this location. All shooting is done at or after legal light, out of legal deer season, with a rifle, and well within the ILLEGAL distance to residences and schools.

In addition, I might add that myself and the DNR biologist (I'll withhold his name) had quite the conversion last year when this began. The qualifications for the "sharpshooters" is 7 out of 10 into a pie plate at 100yards with a high-powered rifle.

I didn't send the pictures, but I'm glad someone did! Atleast this year the threw a warning letter into the snow bank attached to an orange flag before the shooting began .

Last edited by Bull Run; 01-31-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo correction
Bull Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Bull Run

BTW, my neighbors are also not happy about the DNR's practices. The DNR has been extremely deceitful in the way they have started the entire CWD debacle. They have preyed upon unknowing landowners by creating a sob story of a suffering deer herd and inappropriately used tax-payers resources and lands to fulfill an unneeded task.

I may be a conspiracy theorist, but if you ask me it is a hoax perpetuated by the automobile insurance companies to reduce deer/vehicle collisions.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is BS! what the heck are they teaching kids, and nonhunters. we have enough to worry about. I found out from a guy at work who lives and hunts across the road from where I hunt(the land I didnt see a damn thing on all season) that the dnr pulled in to a place less than a mile from where we hunt and talked to the guy who maintains and hunts that property for a institution(name withheld) and asked where they could set up there tents, he asked why and was told that there was a deer harvested during first shotgun season about 600 yards from where I hunt that tested positive for CWD. and that there were too many deer in the area and they were gonna thin them out. None of us have seen a whole lot of anything in the last 2 seasons..........but there are too many.....whatever

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

BullRun, how close is their stand from the road?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
jcsck5

jcsck5 is on a distinguished road
Default illinois deer herd

I live in south central il,south of 70 we don't have the cwd problem but deer numbers are way down,most are blameing blue toung and from the dead bucks I found last spring I somewhat believe that in my area. Most bowhunters are stepping up and passing all does and shooting nothing but mature bucks. If the dnr was shooting deer with a rifle I would be equeally pissed. If anyone has an idea of a way to stop the bs I'm game to help,maby enough signatures to the dnr.i think it would be great if one year nobody purchased a single deer tag. I don't think the dnr has the resources to keep the numers down in the entire state.maby in certin cwd areas but that would be it. I think the herd numbers are totally in the hunters hands. If a couple of you guys from the cwd areas are really off on numbers give me a pm I'll put you on some deer where I live. There aren't tons of deer here but there are some quality bucks.my best is 178 gross and I see bigger. Also some good publi ground within driveing distance from here.
jcsck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Bull Run

Ill take a range in the morning Chris, but I would say no more than 175yards (and probably much less).

All tuned to perfection by: Obsession Archery
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

DNR frequently does this in Maryland. Not next to schools, but in public parks. However, we really do have an over abundance of deer. Even with the culling, there is no limit on does for the entire season. Not all counties, but about half the state.

I know one of the guys on the culling team. They are super careful. Always shooting from elevated stands and no more than 50 yards. That way the bullets hit the ground before they go far enough to damage anything. The culling is always done at night and they shoot for the eye reflections (spotlighting) with 7mm's.

In some of the parks they have shotgun hunts every year or two. Anyone can sign up for these, pass the paper plate test @ 40 yards, and are almost guaranteed venison. I went on one of these a few years ago and about 75 hunters took over 200 deer. I talked to a friend who when on the same hunt a couple of years later and they took at least as many.

In one park near my home, the shotgun hunts are partly to decrease traffic accidents. There are two roads that border the park and the deer car crashes went from 180 to 12 in three years. However, the hunting in an adjacent wildlife management area is still good. I take a deer or two most every year.

The owner of the shop that I go to, almost never hunts during the season as his business takes up his time. However, he takes more venison than anybody I know with crop damage permits. Landowners, usually farmers who don't hunt, actually pay him to shoot deer on their property. You can shoot deer at any time of the year with the permits, in or out of season.

If you want to shoot deer, come on down to Maryland. We have more than we can handle and there is some pretty good public hunting.

I hope you guys can stop CWD before it gets here. It will probably hurt your hunting for a long time, but this is a serious problem.

Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Your DNR is crazy......I don't have a problem with them doing it. But not with the people they have doing it. Hit 7 out of 10 in a pie plate and in the middle of a neighborhood....

I live in Va and they did something similar here a some years ago...I am sure they are still doing it in some places....the only problem I had with it is that they were shooting EVERYTHING....and took some MONSTER bucks. But the people that were doing the shooting were and are police and military snipers. The parks were using the SWAT team...good practice and the military base used their own boys.....

But they weren't baiting....just shooting them at night. Which really is the best way to do it since you usually don't see nearly as many deer out in the open during the middle of the day.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default Michigan DNR Problem

We have the same problems here and are frustrated.They seem to do what ever they want along with creating stupid laws while at the same time shooting everything. We have early doe (GUN) season in September, followed by the Youth (GUN) hunt in September,finally October1 is bow season Till (November 15th Opening GUN season) with a two day break then Black power season then late doe season. Then of course the summer Block permits to shoot whatever at no limit if it's brown is down for crop damage.This is QDM at it's best!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
Chris
Administrator

I sent this email to the Rockford Register Star but have not heard back from them.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I sent this email to the Rockford Register Star but have not heard back from them.
I don't get that paper, keep us updated if you hear anything.
Thanks Chris

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
wihoyt

wihoyt is on a distinguished road

Wow just when I thought there wasnt any good hunting in this area. Who would have thought
wihoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Bull Run

Well, I couldn't get a range across the open field today due to heavy blowing snow. I did however, get a range from my house to the blind...right at 300 yards (and there are 4 houses even closer . IL DNR at their finest!

All tuned to perfection by: Obsession Archery
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #16
jim p

jim p is on a distinguished road

Wonder where the anti's are. They could be riding snow mobiles around the shooting area to keep the deer away. I bet about 200 anti's cruising on their snow mobiles would be a grand sight to see. They might even invent a new sport of deer chasing.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote