Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
brad554

brad554 is on a distinguished road
Default new bowhunter

I am new to bow hunting and just got a new 2011 PSE Brute for Christmas.
I need some advice on what type of equipment that would be good to use. I wont be hunting with my bow until next years hunting season.

The equipment i need help with is...
  1. Broad heads
  2. Arrows
  3. Targets
  4. Releases

Thank you!
brad554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

1. Broad heads
  2. Arrows
  3. Targets
  4. Release
Broadhead... fixed style, I like slick trick. Expandable, I like Rage
Arrows...don't spend a lot on arrows for a beginner but don't go super cheap either.
Targets.. Bag style, Morell, Broadhead target get a Rinehart
Release.. Again don't go too cheap here. Spend $40-$70+

These items are personal preference and everyone will have a different opinion.

I hope this helps
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
brad554

brad554 is on a distinguished road

For a target i heard a Block Fusion was good.
and also i see different reviews about rage, saying they dont expand and all that but i also heard they work great
brad554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
stubby'smom

stubby'smom is on a distinguished road

My hubby used the adams broadheads this year and it left a giant hole and plus he will be able to reuse it. Also, you are less likely to cut yourself with them. Just so you know, don't shoot your broadheads at your targets unless you buy a target specially for that. Just get the same grain field points and shoot them when practicing.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
bushmasterar15

bushmasterar15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad554 View Post
I need some advice on what type of equipment that would be good to use. I wont be hunting with my bow until next years hunting season.

1. Broad heads
  2. Arrows
  3. Targets
  4. Releases

Thank you!
[*]Broadheads : I use Slick Tricks standard and magnum 100 grain[*]Arrows : Take a look at Victory, Gold Tip and Carbon Express. They have some great arrows without spending alot to get you started.[*]Targets : I'm using a Morrel Yellow Jacket Bag target and has held up well[*]Releases : Depending if you want a wrist or thumb. Wrist Spot Hogg, Scott and Tru Ball. Thumb Spot Hogg, Carter and Tru Ball. If you go to a shop you might be able to try a few out and see what works best for you.

If you have any questions just ask and I will try and help you out.
bushmasterar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad554 View Post

1. Broad heads
  2. Arrows
  3. Targets
  4. Releases

Thank you!

first i want to throw the big out there this is a great site to visit. my pse set up is a 09 pse xforce dream season with a tru ball axcell armortech 5 pin sight the rest is a ripcord code red rest (soon to be limbdriver rest) i have a 8" posten woodsman stabilizer and shooting the easton full metal jacket arrows along with the slick trick broad heads i also shoot a scott wildcat release to hunt with but i use a truball st360 thumb trigger release to shoot tournaments with. hope that helps after all the yrs. of playing around with different things this is what i found that works the best for me.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
kleve

kleve is on a distinguished road

Rage broadheads or grim reapers, Beeman ics hunter arrows, rhinehart target, truball release dont go cheap $50 or more
kleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

First lets start with the release, as it will determine your draw length. Wrist strap caliper type, is what most use, shooting off a D loop , a D shaped loop of heavy duty nylon cord tied to your shooting string at the nocking point. which also shortens draw. A hand held adds almost 2 inches of draw for me, and I used a wrist strap with a short barrel. Find out which you prefer and then go with it.

Now you can get arrows. You'll need to know your draw length, once known determine shaft size, remember you want the broadhead out in front of your bow hand so add 1.75 " to your draw length, and thats the length you use to select size at your draw weight, For you , just begining, don't over bow your self. It takes practice to get good at this, so turn your bow down and get the less expencive arrows, a dozen will do, about $50-70. Believe me, 60# bows kill deer. Decide what point weight you want to shoot.

Broadheads; every bowhunter you talk to will have his/her own personal favorite, expandables tune easier, which bring up what rest you're goning to use, some are easier to tune than others. Tuning is the process of getting your arrow flying as straight as you can, also when tuned properly field points and broadhead hit the same point of aim

Targets, bags and blocks are portable. I prefer bags for field points, and use a block for broadheads. Most blocks are light and move when hit.
I hope this will help you get started in this great sport.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-09-2011 at 02:46 PM.
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote