Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #41
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlebo View Post
And NOT my point. What I am saying is that every ANTI crossbow argument I hear today, is the exact same thing I heard 40 years ago from people arguing AGAINST the compound bow.
I didn't understand it then, I don't understand it now. It opens the door for more people to become involved in hunting. Which would you rather see in the woods, a crossbow hunter who is at least moderately proficient with that weapon? Or someone who picks up a compound 3 days before the season starts? I see it here all the time, rifle hunters who take 2 shots the day before the season starts, they own an old compound for archery season that gets dusted off a day or two before the season starts. If someone can be accurate with the crossbow, more power to him.
You hit it right. The people that are against crossbows just want the woods to them self is what I think.

DB
The youth cannot pull a bow that is legal in Ohio at 8 years old. I never called you an anti but being against the crossbow is just giving them support.
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #42
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
You hit it right. The people that are against crossbows just want the woods to them self is what I think.

DB
The youth cannot pull a bow that is legal in Ohio at 8 years old. I never called you an anti but being against the crossbow is just giving them support.
Sometimes you got to stand for something! Law past in Oklahoma now and I support it. Way we do it in democracy! Dont like alot of things to day because my age generation but I live with it.

DB
Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #43
Bigdog1
The Custom Sideplate Man

Bigdog1 is on a distinguished road

Okay, I give up. I tried to make this a free speech thread, but now I'm gonna throw in my two cents on crossbows.
Archery hunting is now going the same way "primitive firearms" seasons went.
Using the old open sight, flintlocks and percussion guns took some savvy and you had to get within 50 yards or so of your game. Some saw this special season as a way to get away from the crowds of rifle hunters and began to develop ways to get around the "primitive" regulations. Now these special seasons are called "muzzle loader" seasons and the equipment resembles modern rifles and is capable of shooting nearly as far. These seasons have been shortened because the success rate has increased and, after all, the harvest rate is the determining factor on season length. Here in Colorado it is much more difficult to draw a muzzle loader tag than it used to be.

It seems to me the same thing is happening with archery seasons: folks who are physically able to draw a compound are not willing to put in the time to learn, but they want the advantage of hunting without the pressure, so they are lobbying for crossbows with scopes during archery season. They want to be able to put a gunstock up to their face, look through a scope and pull a trigger just like with their rifles! Easy to learn and they will then be able to hunt without seeing any other hunters.

What will happen, just like with the "primitive firearms" seasons, is the number of tags issued will not increase, the number of applications will increase, so the probability of drawing an archery tag will go down. Then the success rate will go up (more mistakes can be made when trying to shoot a compound) and so the seasons will be reduced in length and/or the number of tags issued will be reduced. This equates to less opportunity for those who take the time to learn to shoot a compound bow, but more opportunity for those who take the easy route to archery hunting. In short, the dedicated archers suffer while the lazy are rewarded.

You are right, DB, I want the woods to myself. Well, at least myself and the other guys who are willing to take the time to learn to be proficient with a compound or traditional bow. If you really like crossbows, go out and compete with the other guys who like the feel of fiberglass composite stocks on their cheeks and the appearance of crosshairs on a magnified deer as their relaxed forearm gently applies pressure to squeeze the trigger.

I am an old fart and I don't have to worry who I piss off anymore since I'm one of the lucky ones who have free access to private land, so go ahead and let the crossbow manufacturers have their way. Money talks: always has, always will.

"Cows may come and cows may go, but the Bull in this place goes on forever!"

Last edited by Bigdog1; 02-10-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Bigdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #44
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like in Colorado has a different set circumstances. Most states have more deer than they know what to do with (so says the DNR) and the object is to get more people and a bigger harvest while increasing the monies collected. Here in Michigan you can buy as many tags as you got cash for.

Crossbows are just another way to get people in the woods and money flowing in there pockets.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #45
Bigdog1
The Custom Sideplate Man

Then I am all for crossbows in Michigan! I am for anything that gives more people more time in the woods.
In Colorado, I used to be able to hunt elk and deer with a bow every year in the units around my home. Now there is only a 37% chance according to the latest figures!
I now do my hunting in Kansas. Does that make any sense? Talk about energy (gasoline) conservation! LOL!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #46
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Sounds like in Colorado has a different set circumstances. Most states have more deer than they know what to do with (so says the DNR) and the object is to get more people and a bigger harvest while increasing the monies collected. Here in Michigan you can buy as many tags as you got cash for.

Crossbows are just another way to get people in the woods and money flowing in there pockets.
Same thing here in Texas..

Except the tag part.. but the bag limits are generous..
Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #47
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Same thing here in Texas..

Except the tag part.. but the bag limits are generous..

Or, as I like to refer to them... tiring.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #48
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default Here in Michigan

Yea, you can buy as many tags as you want and This state has more hunters than any other state but here is what we have to deal with.
We have early gun doe and youth gun season in September rite up to bow season then we get to bow hunt from October one to November 14th. November 15 is opening of gun season to the end of December The deer are pretty much nocturnal at this point. then a two day break from guns then black power season for two weeks then late doe gun season till January one, Basicly we are gun seasoned to death.Now on top of that since the DNR has allowed this now most here just say the DNR wants them dead anyway and we are poached to death. Then while you trying to enjoy a nice day out in the woods the gun hunters are sighting in there rifles and shotguns all day long, so while your trying to bow hunt during the Rut the bucks go underground. I don't know about you all and how deer are buy you but here a two and a half year old buck is a trophy.I pass on bucks below the 120's so they can die on the next property over. Now crossbows were legilized last year so now we have the gun hunters that don't take the time to learn how to shoot a compound out there to kill them all.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #49
Bigdog1
The Custom Sideplate Man

How about a special season for traditional bows? Then maybe a spear throwing season. Hell, I could have killed a bull last year with a spear. He was broadside, looking away only 3 feet from me!
I guess I need to promote this by getting some company to start manufacturing spears with composite high modulus carbon fiber shafts and nickle silver engaved spear points with gold inlays for $750 each. Then convince them to push for a spear chucking season. Of course I would need to find some way to make it easy for desk jockeys to learn. Any ideas?