Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Hoyt1945

Hoyt1945 is on a distinguished road
Default Shooting Shoes

Usually when I shoot indoor, I wear Asic running shoes. The other night I wore different shoes and I never could get steady on the target. Didn't feel balanced at all. The shoes had a higher heel and I felt pitched forward. Today while practicing, I tried different shoes to see what affect it had on my steadiness. After trying several different configurations, heel higher than toes, toes higher than heel and neutral. The shoes that did best were a cheap pair of Walmart moccasins that were completely flat. What shoes do you wear when shooting? Do good archers pay attention to their footwear?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

My ADIDAS...just like the song Doesn't matter if it's indoors or outdoors.....I want a flat bottom shoe.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
acesup

acesup is on a distinguished road

most people wear skate shoes, soccer shoes (indoor of course) , or the really old school running shoes, like Saucony or New Balance with a flat bottom.
acesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
MickeyBee

MickeyBee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt1945 View Post
The other night I wore different shoes and I never could get steady on the target. Didn't feel balanced at all. The shoes had a higher heel and I felt pitched forward.
Your shoes?....How high were they?
MickeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Hoyt1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyBee View Post
Your shoes?....How high were they?
You Rascal, they were black patent pumps with a 3 inch heel. You know the bad thing about it, if I thought they would make me shoot better, I would wear just about anything. Have a good evening. Randy
Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
MickeyBee

MickeyBee is on a distinguished road

Sorry, just couldn't pass that one up

If my gal's feet weren't so tiny I'd have access to some of the nessesary equipment to do a more thorough review but for now all I have is an opinion.

My real opinion on foot posture (changing heel height) is that it will probably affect indoor spot scores for most but for indoor 3d it may actually be beneficial in getting you ready for the outdoor stuff.
MickeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
Josh_Putman
My little huntin buddy

Josh_Putman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt1945 View Post
You Rascal, they were black patent pumps with a 3 inch heel. You know the bad thing about it, if I thought they would make me shoot better, I would wear just about anything. Have a good evening. Randy
Silly, don't you know you need at least a 5" stiletto to shoot your best?

Gees, I thought EVERY one knew that.

The greatest thing I had accomplished in my life was serving my country, until I became a dad.
Josh_Putman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I've got quite a few customers that shoot indoors in hiking boots. The theory is the slight heels and wide stance are better for balance and support.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I always shoot bare foot in my basement.............I would like to try a set of soleless moccasins.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've got quite a few customers that shoot indoors in hiking boots. The theory is the slight heels and wide stance are better for balance and support.
10-4
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's more than a theory. Look at it this way. When you start putting up a building you put it on a good base if you want it to stand there. Same goes for archery.

Same can be said for building up the muscles. The legs are just as important as the upper body.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
Hoyt1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
I always shoot bare foot in my basement.............I would like to try a set of soleless moccasins.
I have peaked-out at 442 on the vegas face and trying everything to get one or two more points. Last Tuesday night, I wore walmart moccasins and shot 438. I don't think the shoe thing is going to help. My range is 437-442. Not everyone can be a Reo or a Braden. It is all between the ears now. I'm 66 and still tying to improve. Dean P. is my inspiration.---I will try a different cap this week.--Love archery and 3d shoots.com.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
MossyD12

MossyD12 is on a distinguished road

i wear my justin boots!