Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about
Default Youth Archers

I am looking for some ideas.

I have shot my bow for a boy scout "Arrow of Light" award, held a homeschooling archery class, and had a couple kids out to my house to shoot a little. All of these kids are members of my church.

all of these kids are crazy about archery, but have never really been around it except for me!

So, here is my dilema. I have had parents ask me if I can teach their kids. I have 2 small compound bows. I am not sure how to go about setting them up. I would have to take the bows into the shop since I don't have the tools. So I won't be able to adjust for every kid. Can I set them up for a range of sizes?
Should the kids start out with traditional bows rather than compound? (I don't have any traditional bows)
Start them shooting fingers, no sights?

Or would it just be better to send them over to the archery shop for lessons?

Help! I would love to teach these kids but don't know where to start!
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
jessgcmo

jessgcmo is on a distinguished road

well, I am definitly no teacher but I have been looking at youth bows for my daughter and the genesis looks like a great choice. They are a little spendy 200 dollar range but they have a zero letoff and the draw weight is very adjustable can't recall off the top off my head. maybe you could speak with the church and somehow affiliate the archery lessons with the church and ask for an extra collection to help fund a new program or maybe a few carwashes when the weather warms up. I dunno just a few Ideas. I know that alot of schools are starting a archery program and they exclusivley use the genesis bow. another idea is to try talking your local archery club into doing a benifit shoot to help pay for the equipment...like I said just some ideas
Old 02-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

It would be nice if you could find a few low poundage recurves. They are alittle more one size fits all, hand them a glove and some arrows and let em tear up the targets at close range.(7 to 10 yards) If they are real interested they'll start bugging there parents for some equipment of there own.

As far as leasons, I would keep it fun not serious. It's real easy to help most kids with the basics while standing on the line shooting, stand this way, this is how to knock a arrow, ect.....most kids can figure it out fairly quickly once they watch a few others. The hardest part is line safety, especially the small ones. As you know excited kids forget fast.

Then mix it up, let them shoot spots one week, animal targets the next. Shooting at clay pigeons and ballons always makes for a exciting time.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road

You could get some of the campground fiberglass long bows. They are not too expensive. Then you can see who comes back. The ones that come back are the ones with the interest. I have one and some arrows that I would donate. Then take them to the shop to get fitted if they have shown a comitment. A lot of kids show interest but back down after they see there is some work involved in shooting. I commend your efforts, and wish you success. I have thought too about getting together a youth archery group in my area. PM me if you want that bow.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessgcmo View Post
well, I am definitly no teacher but I have been looking at youth bows for my daughter and the genesis looks like a great choice. They are a little spendy 200 dollar range but they have a zero letoff and the draw weight is very adjustable can't recall off the top off my head. maybe you could speak with the church and somehow affiliate the archery lessons with the church and ask for an extra collection to help fund a new program or maybe a few carwashes when the weather warms up. I dunno just a few Ideas. I know that alot of schools are starting a archery program and they exclusivley use the genesis bow. another idea is to try talking your local archery club into doing a benifit shoot to help pay for the equipment...like I said just some ideas
Should be no problem with this idea, and once you have funding in place, watch the AT class ads for the genesis bow, see them all the time, cheap. A much easier bow for multible users, no draw length or weight to set, sorta one bow fits all idea, like a recurve, but easier to shoot. Talk to the kids parents and see if they can get a fund started. I'm sure that they'd much rather look for their child on an archery range than on the streets.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote