Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Stormforce

Stormforce is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Stormforce Send a message via MSN to Stormforce Send a message via Yahoo to Stormforce
Default G'day

Even though I've been a member of this forum since '09, I haven't made my first post until the other day. I got back into archery after having my house broken into when I was living in Sydney, and all my archery gear was stolen, about ten years ago. I got the insurance money for my bow and other gear, but used it to pay off bills, etc, I promised myself I'd get back into it again, but never did until May '09 when I started a new job. One of my new workmates was into archery, and was president of the local 3D archery club. I went out for a shoot using a recurve and scored ok on the first day, which fired up my passion for archery again. I bought a cheap second hand Darton Cyclone (recurve limb) compound and used that shooting fingers and barebow for a while, then went to sights and release, and practised, practised, practised.

Bought the Avalanche at the beginning of last year and decided to use that for 3D only, while I delegating the Cyclone soley to hunting duties.

I love both my Darton bows and love the sport of archery (obsessed is probably a better description) and love bowhunting, having killed my first feral pig on my own 172 acre property at the end of summer last year. It was only a little one, but a good eating size and I nailed it from about 8 metres with a 100gr mechanical. Since then, the pigs have all but disappeared, probably due to the heavy rains we've had in Oz over the last couple of months.

General Archery Forum

I'm now the Secretary / Treasurer / Website Admin of the club I started off with, the "RSM Copeton Waters 3D Archery Club" based in Inverell, in the Northern-New England region of Northern New South Wales, Australia. If anyone want's to check out how we do things in Oz, and have a look at some great 3d shoot photo's, feel free to drop by at http://www.skymesh.net.au/~mattakana...3darchery.html.

I look forward to contributing to this forum...

Mick.
Release Aids: Tru-Ball Pro-Diamond T Handle, Standard Caliper Head
Sights: GWS "Silver Talon" Single Pin, Pivot - Home Made 5/32" Peep
Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

So, what kind of BBQ sauce do you blokes use down there?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Stormforce

Send a message via ICQ to Stormforce Send a message via MSN to Stormforce Send a message via Yahoo to Stormforce

BBQ Sauce???

um, a strange question? is this for basting meat or putting on food before consuming. For putting on food before eating, the most popular brands are fountain & masterfoods, but it's up to each individual's taste, I suppose, too many styles and varieties to choose from. Personally, I like fountain smoked hickory myself, maybe a bit of chilli and garlic sauce on steak.

...why do you ask?

Last edited by Stormforce; 02-22-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I'm betting it won't be the last strange question you get.

Good day mate!! back
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

Im workin on the assumption you put that little peckery on a pit and cooked him?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
MeanV2

MeanV2 is on a distinguished road

Look forward to reading more of your posts!

Pass the Barbeque sauce!

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
MeanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
archeryisme
Old and Experienced

archeryisme is on a distinguished road
Default Awesome

I went to your website and viewed the pictures of your club. Beautiful terrain for shooting. Love the uphill shots and scenery. Maybe im just getting tired of the ice nand snow here. Lots of info on your website. Nicely done.
archeryisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

WOW, just got back from your website. That is realy some awesome terrain for 3D. Quite a variance. Unfortunately it all looks the same here right now----white.

We happen to be pretty lucky around my area. There are no less than 20 archery clubs within an hour drive from my house. About 50 kilometers, It hardly ever gets boring as there's always some place to shoot.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Stormforce

Nah, we are pretty much do like you guys over there in the U.S for BBQ's, gas (propane), or wood fire under a steel plate or grill. The kiwi's do the pit thing, I think they call it a "hungi". Our usual fare is beef steak, lamb chops, and mystery meat sausage's, along with various types of salads.

Thanks for the comments on the website. The image's are from various local public grounds we've used over the years, like National Parks and crown reserves. At the moment we are using a private flora and fauna reserve, as our grounds and we have to share it with another archery club. We sometimes have to use our own private properties for shoots, normally the presidents property, and he usually sets out the days target course, so the terrain and shots are very challenging. Most of us in our club are bowhunters, so we strive to position the targets in a position more akin to where you might find animals in the wild, but also to challenge an individual's skills.

If you want to check some images from our recent national championships, go to http://www.3daaa.com and find the link to the Nationals at Armidale. I went it was the best place to hold and event like that, 4000 acres of temperate rainforest, with steep hills and rolling pastures, all lush and green. Camping there for the two days of competition was incredible and free with the admission fee's.

Mick.

Last edited by Stormforce; 02-23-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Stormforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
WOW, just got back from your website. That is realy some awesome terrain for 3D. Quite a variance. Unfortunately it all looks the same here right now----white.

We happen to be pretty lucky around my area. There are no less than 20 archery clubs within an hour drive from my house. About 50 kilometers, It hardly ever gets boring as there's always some place to shoot.
We rarely get snow here, but it has happened. We are just on the western side of the Great Dividing Range that run's along the Eastern Seaboard of Australia and very close to the Queensland Border, so we have a great climate here, cold winters (average -5 to 15 degrees celcius) and mild summers (average 15 - 35 degrees celcius). The rainfall here is usually pretty regular being so close to the sea, as the crow flies, with an average of 700mm / 27 inches of rain per year, mainly during the summer months because of landfall or dying cyclones.

Our wild animal population usually consists of Deer (red, fallow, rusa & sitka deer), Feral Pigs, Goats, cattle, foxes and rabbits. Even though there are large amounts of native animals, they are mostly protected, so you either need a permit to kill them or they are of little value as table fare or sporting game.

My property is in the Northern Slopes region on the western side of the great dividing range, so my terrain is undulating, gently rolling hills, usually for cropping purposes, but I don't crop, my partner uses it to house her 7 horses, which takes up about 80 acres, with 97 acres of native bush paddocks. I'm trying to convince my club to use a 60 acre paddock as a our club grounds, but it's 22kms from the nearest town, and people don't like driving that far from home. It's actually only 20 minutes driving time from the town where they all live, so it's not that far, I reckon it's perfect for 3D, heaps of different terrain, with natural spring water holes, and we can put up a shed and covered area if needed. Oh well, maybe one day.

Mick.

Last edited by Stormforce; 02-23-2011 at 06:18 PM.