Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #81
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Only if you'd like to see pin and target like a teenager.
Good a good archery shop nearby? Go take a peek at a verifier lens. The clairifer corrects a differnt vision problem. I have a 2X lens of the HHA OL 5519 in the 55# SLayer, and needed a differnt # verifier. The Hunter has no lens and I use a #5 verifier, the Field bow ( the 55#er ) with the 2X lens, I use a #6 verifier.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 AM   #82
AxeMonster

AxeMonster is on a distinguished road

not been able to find any archery shops here local that have what ur talking about.gonna have to travel looks like to find one that has the card with the different # on them.hate to just order one an guess whitch on i need.but if i had to i would say it would be one that is not very strong,but its hard to say.
AxeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #83
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

I guess I went to an old school shop. Told Lee, the owner, what I was looking for, he tells me pick out a sight you like , pointing to a display case of 'em, I pick out a 5 pin, Lee picks it up and a box of verifiers. Follow me, he says. We go ove to the range, he puts the sight in my left hand and opens a # 5 package, screws the verifier into the superball peep, hand me the peep and says hold the sight out andput thepeep up to your eye. I bought that one. Month later saw a hooded peep with wrench, #5, #6, and several apetures for sale on AT class ads and bought it.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #84
mtbowhunter

mtbowhunter is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Here's something to try.
I use a multi pin movable. I use a Trophy Ridge Hitman 5 sight head on a TR. Rino V Drive. Fixed to 60, then move to 70 to 120 and use the bottom pin to aim from.
Another Great sight is the Montana Black Gold movable 3 pin. Rock Solid!
Fixed to 40, then movable to 100+ aiming on your 40 pin past 40.
Just a thought. Works well for me. 3/16 Fletcher true peep on the back end.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #85
AxeMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
I guess I went to an old school shop. Told Lee, the owner, what I was looking for, he tells me pick out a sight you like , pointing to a display case of 'em, I pick out a 5 pin, Lee picks it up and a box of verifiers. Follow me, he says. We go ove to the range, he puts the sight in my left hand and opens a # 5 package, screws the verifier into the superball peep, hand me the peep and says hold the sight out andput thepeep up to your eye. I bought that one. Month later saw a hooded peep with wrench, #5, #6, and several apetures for sale on AT class ads and bought it.
they probably got some at jonesboro.Saturday we had some really good weather,so the wife an i went out to the hunting club an rode around about all day.seen a good flock of turkeys.my hunting buddy an i went back sunday before daylight an went to some spots and had 4 different toms gobbling.they wont ansewer a call yet but wont be long
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #86
black_dog

black_dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMonster View Post
i got the one with 3 feet of fiber with a 29 pin.they should be here tomorrow.pretty excited about getting them.kinda dreed the sighting in process
The 29 is big I have the 19 and its to big. They make a 10 and I think thats the size to get.....
black_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #87
AxeMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_dog View Post
The 29 is big I have the 19 and its to big. They make a 10 and I think thats the size to get.....
i like the 29.it seems to be better for me.wish my truglo started at 29.everybody has their on prefrences i guess.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #88
black_dog

black_dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i like the 29.it seems to be better for me.wish my truglo started at 29.everybody has their on prefrences i guess.
If you keep your shots close should be fine. Get out a ways and pin covers chest.
black_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #89
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Sight pin size is just personal preference, I can still see the dot at 80 yds while using a .19 pin, and thats a 3 inch dot, certianlly not going to cover up your shot on a deer.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #90
AxeMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
Sight pin size is just personal preference, I can still see the dot at 80 yds while using a .19 pin, and thats a 3 inch dot, certianlly not going to cover up your shot on a deer.
i wondered where u been elkslayer.i cant tell that the 29 blocks my shot any but i wasnt gonna dispute the man.i like it an its unlikely ill ever shoot over 40 yrds.when i sighted the bow in at 40 i could see the dots on my target allright,everyone has thier on prefrence.You got a turkey yet,we still got about 2 an half weeks to go before season opens.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #91
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Quote:
i wondered where u been elkslayer.i cant tell that the 29 blocks my shot any but i wasnt gonna dispute the man.i like it an its unlikely ill ever shoot over 40 yrds.when i sighted the bow in at 40 i could see the dots on my target allright,everyone has thier on prefrence.You got a turkey yet,we still got about 2 an half weeks to go before season opens.
I've been moving. No longer in Northen Calif, now in Oregon. Son told me it was time to move. Mar 13th, was comming home from a club shoot, about 12 miles from from home, and just at the end of a two hour down pour, a brand new pickup, still had paper plates, window stickers, pulled over to allow me to go by. I swung a little wide, didn't want to throw road derbris on him, and as I did, my rear left wheel hit a reflector, caused me to break traction and was immediately now traveling backwards toward the rapidly filling Navarro River. watched as I was approching an alder tree on the bank of the river, thinking that ok, Im gonna take some tailgate damage. When my rear wheels hit the grass along side on the road, the truck suddenly moved another 4 feet west, entirely missing that Alder. I came to a stop right on the edge of the bank, and then the bank caved in, and down I went, slowly, had time enought to remember every movie that I've seen where someone was going into water in a vehicle, and rolled my window down. Came to a stop at last, opened my door, and climbed out onto rocks. Other driver was there by then and helped me back up the bank, had to go 9 miles out to the coast to get a cell siginal. Minor damage to my truck, Highway Patroll didn't issue an accident report as no was injured. Towtruck pulled my truck up out of the river, and the small alder that was resting against my lumber rack moved 6 feet back towards us, so it was holding the truck there. I drove home, then started feeling like crap, tried to sleep it off, but couldn't. Went to hospital next day, had a heart attack. Spent the next two weeks in a hostipal, first at Sutter in Santa Rosa, then was shipped to Standford, for more extencive testing. Turns out, all I've gotta do is watch my salt intake and take a beta blocker. Put me on a treadmill and ran me for 15 minutes trying to get my heart rate up to 131 bpm, blood pressure remained flat, never got to that 131 bmp. Must be that all that mounatin bike riding! I'm fine now. Here's a pic of my truck, swimming.

Bowhunting forum
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #92
AxeMonster

Default glad ur allright

man you were luckey there.2 weeks ago i was delivering a load of gravel an had to cross a pond bank and it fell in on me an i almost went right into the pond with 20 ton of gravel.must not have been our month.glad ur heart is doing ok.i bet it was a tuff decision to move after all those years.but i feel like you will make the best of it as you seem to be a positive person and can make the best of somthing.hope u get to turkey hunt in oregon.good luck with ur move.is that where ur son lives and if so im sure you will enjoy being closer to him.take care of your self and its good to hear from ya.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #93
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Yes, I'm staying with my son for now. Already got hooked up on the private property that he hunts. Went out Tue and hung a trail cam, went back to check it yesterday, and found it moved, knocked around tree. Got 40 pics of elk, sorta eases the loss of the deer herd I had at home.

Bowhunting forum
Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #94
AxeMonster

Default lotta elk

Im sure that will help.This weekend is the youth hunt an we went out yesterday an hunted all over the club an we could not get 1 turkey to gobble.I think its still to earley,im hopeing anyway.Next weekend season opens.Plaining on camping on the club a few days.got 1 spot im gonna put a blind up an bow hunt out of it.got pictures of some jakes coming thru there about the same time everyday.an some big old wild hogs.them things are gonna ruin everything if we dont get um out of there,they say they will find turkey eggs an eat um.that i cant abide.hogs have got to go.our turkey populatoin has been declining sense 2004.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #95
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

Feral pigs are becoming a problem in allmost every state except Alaska. They bred several times a year and have any where from 8 to 12 piglets per litter. I have no doubt that they will eat the turkey eggs. Here in Oregon, its shoot on sight, no tag required. Calif sells tags, as many as you want, but they want their cut. Luckely they are fairly easy to live trap, set up a pen near 'em, bait it with darn near anything. All you need is a gate that they can push open, they'll find the way in, and just set a post to stop the gate from swinging open from the inside, and you can capture the whole brood.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #96
AxeMonster

its the same way here,shoot on sight,no limit.weve trapped 14 so far and some have had little ones sense we caught um.people want to buy them to eat.so been getting rid of a few.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #97
AxeMonster

Default big tom down

got 1 today elkslayer,despite windy conditions an a 15 degree drop in temp.this weeks weather has been crazy.im sure u seen or heard about the system that marched across this part of the u.s. this week.been alot of bad weather.my prayers go out to those who lost loved ones an property this week.hope u are doing alright.